Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (THURSDAY, JUNE 26)

@KonaKat wrote:

Good morning, shopping friends. Where did Summer go? These cold rains have made a dent into the heat I expect from Summer. Needless to say, the AC is not running right now. The house is well insulated so it is holding the cold for a long period of time.

I just turned on the TV to see a pair of Ripka earrings in sterling and Diamonique going for over $300. I don't think so!! It may be fine for those but they are not within my budget.

I went for the urology appointment yesterday to set up a time for the cystoscopy to see if the bladder cancer is returning, something that has to be done on a periodic basis. The preliminary urinalysis did not contain any warning signs so the urologist wants to do the procedure without anesthesia. He will just numb the area with gel and then insert the scope into the bladder for a look. The negative with this approach is that if he discovers a problem, it can't be taken care of at that time. The positives is that there is no prep involved of clear fluids nor the same prep involved in a colonoscopy.

I rather miss the great care and attention I got in the hospital, but I will adjust. I couldn't believe it when a person who had the same procedure at the same hospital said they had never been treated so well and that they hated to leave. I now understand why he felt that way.

The funny thing is that Humana called me right before I left for the urologist appointment in the city. Since I was an inpatient, part of my after-care involves ten free frozen healthy meals to be sent my way via UPS. Who am I to turn down free food? In addition, they are sending a free fitness pack consisting of a pedometer, yogal mat, exercise bands and a DVD. I think someone is trying to tell me something.

Today, I've started adding ground flax seed to my daily diet, as recommended by the doctor. It is heart healthy with a high concentration of omega 3's, etc. as well as fiber. It has a slight nutty taste and is quite good.

We have flash flood warnings out from all the rain. It came down so hard yesterday in the city that the streets didn't drain so the streets were covered with water. If anyone was walking on the sidewalk when a car passed, the individual would be soaked.

I am so sorry about Arlene's beloved Gideon passing. I remember the pain and heartache when my other cat died several years ago. It took me a year before I was willing to share my life with another cat. It is such a painful experience when there is a close connection to the fur baby. My last picture of my mother was that of her holding that cat  so it was much than an animal dying. Hugs, Arlene!

I have to say that I forgot to wash my face last night. The Laura Geller gel eyeliner I put on yesterday was still there. This is one product that I don't regret buying. I'm not one of those who takes breaks to touch up makeup every few hours so having something that lasts long is a real treat. Usually eyeliner lasts only a couple of hours on me and I've tried inexpensive to expensive brands.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

Hello KK, I am not interested in any jewlery, I have a full free-standing jewelry armoire that I never wear anymore, so obviously I don't need to even look at any more, lol.

So glad for you that your apt. yesterday did not show any warning signs, I think I would have chosen the same method as you did for your future procedure. That prep is just awful.

Nice that Humana provides frozen meals and the exercise equipment, I had not heard of them doing that before.

I probably should be adding that ground flax seed also, so far I don't use any kind of supplements but keep thinking I probably should.

I also feel really bad for FHG re: the loss of Gideon. They say our pets are our children and I agree with that, for me anyway. And a connection to a lost loved one in our family makes it even more heartbreaking when a pet passes on too.

Hope you are having a great afternoon.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte wrote:

Glad that I checked before posting.  I think most of what I wrote still applies, but Jean provided more information about her procedures and flaxseed.  I guess I'll just go ahead and post what I wrote since if I try to edit someone else will have posted, and I'll need to do so again.  LOL

That is great about Humana sending you free food and a fitness kit, Jean.  Sounds like they are really trying to help their policy holders.

Good Morning, Ladies!  I saw on FB that Jean's doctor does not see evidence of the cancer returning, but he will need to do another test just in case.  Fingers crossed that nothing new is found, and Jean will be fine.  I also noticed that Jean is using flaxseed on her food, which is something I was doing and for no good reason stopped.  When I first started at the senior lunch program, they had flax seed as a topping for the salads, and I really got into using it.  I definitely need to keep up my fiber intake, so I better get back on the stick.  I think I still have some flax seed in the freezer.

So sorry about Gideon, Arlene.  I know you did everything you could to keep him alive a little longer.  But, I guess it was just his time to go to heaven.

We had cooler and cloudy weather for our walk this morning, and it was great.  Now, it is back to sunny, and I think it is supposed to reach 100 degrees again today.  We did have a little rain yesterday, and tiny bit this morning.  They are still predicting strong thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon.

Hope your brother likes Arizona if he moves here, pinky ann. This is definitely not a popular time here (many of our neighbors are at their other homes or on vacation elsewhere), but as long as your AC is working well, you can survive the heat okay.

DH and I have our newcomers luncheon today -- should be nice, and I'll go to Curves this afternoon.  If I'm good, I will do some cleaning as well.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Bernie, pinky ann, snicks, Marijane (I can't believe that bear in your town -- yikes!), Rosa, Charlene, LindaR, Susan, Gayle, Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a nice Friday everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

LL, nice that you had a bit cooler temps for your walk this morning, it is also cooler here today, actually just in the mid 70's, as opposed to yesterdays 90's with heat index around 105. I did get my yard mowed, although it was still not ideal for mowing, ground still somewhat wet, but just as I was finishing up the sky turned dark and by the time I had completed the job and gotten my shower taken, we were under tornado warnings. Didn't have one, but it rained and wind was very hard. Have sticks down all over the yard today. Hope you enjoy your lunch today. I'm curious if your DH goes on the daily walks willingly or if you have to persuede him everyday? Does he also go to Curves with you? Sorry if I am being too nosy.

Have a great day.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Hi Jean, thanks for getting us started today.  Is the urologist giving you a choice in the matter regarding the test?  It's nice that Humana is sending you  goodies (food and workout gear).  Does flax seed benefit cholesterol issues?  I do well on the fiber front, however I like to keep an eye on cholesterol too and flax seed might be a better alternative to big omega 3 supplements that I take from time to time.  I understand what you are saying about the connection between your mom and the cat that you lost.  My DH hand raised 2 birds together and he died when they were 1 1/2.  Since those were the only 'kids' we raised together, those birds are a strong connection to DH.  My girl passed away last year at 9 years and I not only felt the loss of her in her own right, it was like losing another connection to DH. 

Today her brother turns 10 years old.  God knows I've posted about it on a couple of forums here already this morning.  I told my DH out loud today, in case he was bored in heaven and might have been listening (wink), "our boy is 10 today Butch, can you believe it?"

Hi bird, that is sweet that your DH hand raised the 2 birds, I did not know that he had also been doing that. Bittersweet for you today then on the other one's birthday. But Happy Birthday to him. I can understand that connection.  Hope you are having a good day.

Honored Contributor

@twinny70 wrote:

Jean,  that is such great news.  It is nice that they are sending you some free meals & all of the extra perks.  Use them & eat them in good health.  It sounds like you got dumped on yesterday with all fo the rain.We got about 2" of rain early yesterday morning, but it all soaked in.  My tomato plants & flowers are doing great.

LL, I have never tried flax seed, but will look into it.    Have fun at your newcomers luncheon today.  I also need to say that you are such a great caretaker for your DH.  It takes a true saint to do that job.  I could have never done for my DH what he did for me 14 years ago.  

FHG, Prayers & hugs for you 

Bird Mama, Your birds are truly blessed to have you take care of them.

My friend & I had so much fun in the hot tub yesterday.  DH & I got groceries  this morning & will be heading to the capitol city after lunch.  He wants to do a little shopping before we head  over to see our DD & 3 DGC do their taekwondo belt testing.  We have never seen them do this so it should be fun.  Then I want my DSIL to look at my tablet.  I can read posts & emails but I cannot use the keyboard.   My computer is so slow that it drives me nuts too.

Tomorrow DH  & I are going to his little hometown's 125th anniversary.  DH is taking the walking tour to "Devils picnic table" where he camped as a boy scout.  I will visit the neat museum where his late dad's army uniform is on display as well as an album with our engagement picture & wedding pictures  on display.  We will end the day by listening to one of the hometown boys & his polka band.

Hi twinny, glad you and your friend enjoyed the hot tub yesterday. Enjoy the taekwondo belt testing, that sounds like it would be fun to watch. Hopefully your DSIL will be able to fix your tablet for you. Hope tomorrow's trip to hometown and the tour and museum visit as well as the band will be fun too. You two really do keep busy, good for you!

Honored Contributor

Ok, I tried using the quote feature this time, trying to decide which is the faster way to post, I don't think I really like it as it just makes the thread appear so long. lol. I'm still waiting on news of the new great-grand child, so far, not here yet. I've just been doing some small things here in the house today, outside is really wet. Dog is definitely going to need a bath today as the squirrels and rabbits were plentiful for her to chase this morning. She had so much fun. I have stuffed peppers ready to go into the oven in a while, for dinner tonight. Might also throw together cucumbers and onions, haven't had that for awhile.
Hope everyone has a nice day and that I didn't miss anyone. Waving bye.
Esteemed Contributor

Fingers crossed about your great grandchild, snicks.  How exciting.

DH willingly walks with me, but he is a slow poke for sure.  I have taken to walking at a pace I like, and then sort of march in place every so often so he can catch up.  I carry the water, so I can give him sips then, and sometimes I try to talk to him while we walk.  We used to walk and talk a lot, but he is very, very quiet these days, so the conversations are rather one-sided.  But, I try.

Curves is only for women, so he cannot join me.  Sometimes I need to remind him, since he likes going out with me.  He does come along when I go to the stores, etc.  

Sounds like twinny has a fun time ahead -- do enjoy yourself.  

I can't believe you need to wait that long for the dryer repair, Bernie.  I remember being beside myself when the refrigerator repair took several days.  Of course, I was having all sorts of trouble keeping food cold, which probably added to the stress. 

Respected Contributor

Jean, thank you for starting us.  Yoga is great exercise! DH's new job reimburses us up to I think $500 per year on gym activities.  It's nice to have some incentives to continue our health journey. (I type this as I'm eating my fave Ben and Jerry's.) I've been adding flax to my baking (mostly muffins) for a long time now, along with a couple other grains.  I don't like the seeds so  much but feed them to chickens for some healthier eggs.

Linda, not a popular time in Texas either, though I noticed town is filling up for the weekend.  Last night DD woke up and it was too hot to sleep.  I woke at 4am and got up and the AC was set on 84 - I turn it up during the day and we forgot to turn it down at night.  Poor thing didn't want to mess with the thermostat!  I turned it down to 78 so she could go back to sleep.  Our room is cold because I have the window unit.  They say rain for us this weekend too. 

Twinny I know you will have a good time with the Grands!  Glad you enjoyed your friends too.  You and DH really get around!  Smiley Happy

Snicks, stuffed peppers sound delicious!

I have been lazy but did make it to the grocery today.  Ate and wanted to check in before I get busy.  I have some food prep to do for the weekend, and clothes to fold and put up.  I need to make DD's bed as I washed the bedding.  Excited to have both girls here tonight!  Older DD had "double booked" today so we did not go to Six Flags.  Meanwhile, I am trying to find a home for her dog.  The rescue group said it would be at least a couple weeks, and I sure don't want to keep him that long.  I've had friends that ended up keeping dogs that their kids brought home but not me! 

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today, one of these days I will try to start a new post on this new forum set up.  Glad you appt. went well, and for getting all those goodies from the insurance coompany.  It's like Christmas in June.

Arlene - I am very sorry about the loss of your furbaby, please take it easy.

I would address each on of you but I forgot to do a split screen before I started this and am afraid of loosing what I just wrote.  I am not in love with this new set up, must of been thought up by a man.

Bernie - I did remember your dryer guy is coming, hope he fixes the problem.

To everyone else, I am glad your day is going well.  Off to do a little more decluttering, hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

I am sorry to hear that Gideon passed over.  I can only imagine when Arlene goes, the throng of furbabies that will be waiting to shower her with love and attention. 

Honored Contributor

Regarding my dryer - they could have sent someone out yesterday.  Because I work full time, I didn't want to take time off so I made the appointment for the next day off that is already scheduled - July 3 - corporate holiday and I took July 6 as vacation to make a long weekend.

For now, I have a single clothesline in the basement for heavier things like bath towels to dry during the day when I am at work.  I toss smaller items in the dryer, which more or less can only air dry.  I  may have to run the items through air dry a few times until they are done, but I don't have the need yet to hit the laundromat.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise