Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JUNE 14)

Good morning, shopping friends. I was just thinking that most of us who participate on this thread now are not true shopaholics. We just enjoy shopping wisely via things we  have learned over the past years.

This thread began when an individual went to their order status and calculated  how much they had spent in the  year, with many of the purchases not even treasured or remembered well. That motivated some of us to do the same and thus reign in what we had been spending. I am one of t he original posters on the thread.

Many years have passed  but we have learned how to deal with impulse spending, those trigger words on air and in print that motivate us to spend whether we need it or not. We learned to tell when it is a want and not a need, but we also learned not to deprive ourselves but to monitor the spending.

I am one of those who could easily go a year without purchasing any clothing, shoes or handbags but I like something new. I just don't need to buy it in multiples of colors, etc. 

I went to Costco in Columbus, OH yesterday for a hearing aid adjustment, the purchase of which saved me around $3,000 compared to what I was priced locally. Trust me, I will drive 3  hours to save $3,000.  While there, I saw things I really wanted....key word "wanted."  The need was not there so I left Costco without purchasing anything as that can wait until another time. My cost for the day was $30 in gas for the six hours of driving, and $10 for lunch.

I now tend to prioritize my expenditures. I enjoy travel so when I think of a purchase, I evaluate whether it will contribute to great memories or if it will  contribute to a memory of a "dud" of a purchase.  I allow myself some fun purchases but limit the price and times per month. There is a dollar amount in the monthly budget for fun and eating out.

Today, so far I have gotten in 9,549 steps thanks to getting up early and using the available time. Yesterday, I got in a half  hour of exercise before hitting the road. I like goals as they keep me on course.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JUNE 14)

If you shop, shop wisely. @KonaKat , that is excellent advice. I shop needs, not wants except for when I am buying gifts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRNWelcome to the thread.  I think most of us enjoy shopping. The key is to do it wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

@RetRN - welcome to our thread, and Jean, thank you for getting us started today.  I admit that I'm still a bit of a shopaholic.  Not to the point where it causes problems in my life, but I think I could do better.  I spend a tad too much TIME shopping, a tad too much MONEY shopping, and then I have to fine STORAGE space for the things I bought.  I'm better than I was about 5 years ago, but there's still room for improvement.

We had quite the heatwave last week which made us all feel blechy and tired.  Today we have "June gloom" so it's nice and cool.  I did a bit of gardening this morning, now I'll do misc. inside the house.  My face is feeling better every day, but it takes a while to heal completely.

A fun but rather time-consuming thing I've been working on the past day or two is creating my own bookmarks.  Since I love to read (actual books), I also love bookmarks.  This time I'm scanning the covers of a few romance novels I have, I'm photoshopping the scans, and now I have a handsome cowboy bookmark, and a hunky highlander bookmark, lol!!!  My DH laughed.  I'm making additional bookmarks for my best friend who also likes to read romances.  But in case you think that's all I ever read - I also enjoy cozy mysteries for light reading, and the occasional classic.  This summer I have dusted off my old copy of 1984 and will get that read.  How I managed to go this long without reading it is beyond me.  But hey, my goal is to read one classic each summer, and I wasn't quite up to reading Ulysses yet.

Have a nice day everyone!  ~ Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--We are all a work in progress, and you have been doing well. 
Sometimes, we all will fall victim to temptation but we don't let it become routine. The bookmarks are a great idea, and 1984 is one of my favorite books--unreal how much of the predictions about society have become true.

I'm off to relax by reading for an hour or two.

Honored Contributor

Hi Jean @KonaKat  I've driven 60 miles to sell a couple of bracelets to a lady who traveled the same distance from Ohio. 

You know I'd drive 3 hours to save $3,000.  Woman Very Happy

I made an eye exam appointment for the end of July.  I'm going to try the optometrist office where I bought my eyeglasses last year.  Honestly, I'd rather sit through root canal therapy than go to an eye doctor.  For some reason I cannot make myself understood when it comes to what I see during these exams.  I'm going to have to try 'not dreading' the appointment.  

I took the last circumin supplement in the bottle this morning after breakfast.  I'm usually good about having the next bottle ready so I was dumbstruck when I realized there was no next bottle.

I ordered 2 90-count bottles from better health store dot com because they ship quickly and the price is great.  Solgar brand is not cheap and since I just spent $95 for 6 months of circumin, it's safe to say I'm not feeling any wantys right now.  Woman LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I like your bookmark idea Charlene @cerb 

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Jean - Thank you for starting us today.  Glad you had a good trip to OH.  Yes, walking thru Costco can be very tempting.  I buy some thing from there, but I don't buy alot of groceries, I just don't need the mongo size.

Bernie - Good luck with the eye doctor.  I know I can get frustrated when they ask "which is better" and they both looked the same.

Well, we finally did it.  We adopted a dog yesterday.  She is nine years old and an Australian Shepard mix.  She weighs about 48 lbs. ( this is a very small dog for us).  Her name is Laverne ( when she was brought in to the Humane Society she was a stray with another female dog).  The one lady at there named them Laverne and Shirley.  (Good news, Shirley also go adopted earlier).  She is a very sweet dog, of course, lacking in the command area.  I will sign us up for training classes.  I also need a refresher.  So now we are into making new routines.  I'll keep you up to date on here. I don't know how to put photos up here so you'll have to use your imaginations,

Well off to finish the wash.

Have a good afternoon.

Honored Contributor

I am so excited for you Susan @PAlady   Please give Laverne some kisses from her Auntie Bernie in Michigan Heart

Trusted Contributor

Bernie - Here is a message from Laverne:

Thanks for the kisses, Auntie Bernie.  Woof, Woof, Laverne

Don't know what her bark sounds like, she hasn't barked yet.