Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JULY 12)

Good morning, shopping friends. The month is almost half over and four  weeks until school starts on August 12. With all the rain, it doesn't seem as if we have had a Summer nor time to get things done outside because of the rain. On the other hand, we are fortunate compared to those facing the rain and winds being brought by Barry in the Gulf area.

I have little motivation today as I haven't slept well this week. For some reason, my cat has been getting me up more often than usual. Since I have started organizing clothes by type and brand, I have realized that I'm good for several years. The problem is that I like new things. Some of the tops and bottoms that I bought last year or two years ago are now $5 or more higher.

There is inflation and the cost of manufacturing, as well as the increased shipping costs but for those on a fixed income, this creates a challenge--answered by less buying, cutting the cord, etc.  It is a priority decision based upon what one values most. Since there is little to do in this town we affectionately call "Mayberry," the cord is our only source of entertainment unless we travel over an hour one way.

If the rain stops long enough for the deck to be stained and waterproofed, it will have some new deck chairs as the ones currently used need replaced. I was tempted to wait until next year as we have had little Summer but it is hard to pass up a 50% off sale.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JULY 12)

Hello Ladies....yes this month is flying by too fast Jean...I hope you like your deck chairs when they come.  It’s a nice sunny day here ,we had rain starting last night about 5 and went on almost all night long .it was a light soaking rain which we needed....  I think this weekend the humidity is returning and will be hot.   

Not too much going on here...guess that’s a good thing......baseball returns tonight after the all star break this week...the season is half over....that’s hard to believe too.  Schools go back the end of Aug here....I think they got out around the 15th of June so havebeen off about  a month .

Have a nice day everyone......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Marijane--Yes, the Summer is going rapidly. A gentle rain that gradually soaks into the ground is the best kind. My back yard is almost swamp-like but improving. I saw that the tree removal is in process for you. You will have much wood to burn in the future when the nasty time arrives.

I  hope this coming Winter is similar to last year. School started in mid-August but there were minimal days to make up because of weather unlike the previous year. In that year we got out in June despite starting in mid-August.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning - I agree Jean and Marijane, this summer seems to be flying by.  I don't feel as though I've accomplished as many things as I had hoped.  Like you Jean, I have many many clothes.  I have become more selective and purchase less than I used to, so that is good.

Yesterday I worked in the yard and worked on scanning old print photos.  Scanning photos is one of my "big" jobs this summer, though I know I can't get it all done this year.  What makes me feel discouraged is that there is one group of photos - old pre-1970's ones that came from my DH's family, that I had previously scannned and labeled a few years ago.  Then, before I had done anything to back the file up, our computer crashed.  Having to go back and re-do hundreds of photos isn't fun.  At least now we have an external hard-drive and everything is on both that and the desktop.  One of these days I'll be putting them on flashdrives too.  

Todays plan includes making some more jam.  My first batch of apricot jam (fruit from my mother's tree) turned out pretty well.  This time I think I'm going to try an apricot/plum combo.  Hope it turns out.

Have a great day everyone!  ~ Charlene

Trusted Contributor

@KonaKat  sorry that you're not sleeping well and that it hasn't felt like much of a summer to you.  Hope the rain slows down and that you and Midnight both get a good night's sleep!

Respected Contributor

@KonaKat   Hello Jean!  Speaking of clothes, I too have more than I need.  I purge often, but sometimes I think I continue working only because I want to have a place to wear my clothes!  If I wasn't working, I probably wouldn't wear most of them anywhere else.  I'm beginning to understand why we see older ladies all dressed up in the grocery store!

I think the summer is going fast because it got off to such a late start.  It seems like we spend most of our days here in anticipation of it.  It's suposed to be 90 every day here next week, although it's nice in the 70's today.  I may have to break down and turn on my A/C!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@cerb  Charlene--Scanning photos is quite a chore so it is unfortunate that ones  you had scanned some time ago were lost when the computer crashed. I am sure the homemade jam will be quite tasty. 

@2blondeLaura--The Summer has been more like Spring. I know the farmers have gotten a late start on their crops. Clothes? Everiyone aroundd here is casual anymore or wear clothes that can be dressed up or down. Long gone are the days when women dressed up with nice clothes and heels just to fly. Comfort is the reigning factor in decisions now.

Now, that we have sun and no rain, I murdered some more weeds and also changed the filter in the HVAC. I'm now going to watch an episode of NCIS and then go to read.

Honored Contributor

Wow, where in the heck did the day go?   

I started listening to the second part of a two-part podcast much later last night than I had planned.  I didn't realize part two was 3 and 1/2 hours long when I started at 11:45 pm.  Suffice it to say, I was glad I moved my laptop to a hard surface when I could feel myself dozing because I was out like a light.

I ended up starting that podcast from scratch again this morning - there went 3 1/2 hours, lol.  I enjoy the podcast team so time always flies when I listen to them.

Since I was getting low on birdseed for the outdoor birds and I was almost out of paper towel, I put together a small list and hit the grocery store.

It's less humid today and has been cool enough for me to open windows and let the house breathe.  It looked like it might rain for a couple of hours and now the sun is out and the skies look clear.

Once the heat and humidity started to be the 'norm' I resigned myself to the fact that I'd be doing the caulking on the concrete outside during the fall.  I recall when my husband did it last - it was 2002 and he did it in the fall.  It lasted almost 17 years so he may have been onto something with his timing Woman Happy

I don't wait or long for Christmas in July programming at the Q.  That said, I have a knack for finding items online during the event, lol.

The candle impressions deer candle caught my eye during the first CIJ on QVC main. 

Wouldn't you know it, I spotted a Jim Shore petite nativity set.  I'm trying to talk myself out of it, lol.

Jim Shore Heartwood Creek Mini 4-Piece Nativity Set - H219400

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mamaBernie--I think the Fall woiuld be a great time to do the caulking. You may  not have been tuning into the Christmas in July programming but you have found some great items. 

I saw that Midnight was getting low on cat litter so I went to the Family Dollar Store. They had the brand I had been using but it wasn't the lightweight version. I had forgotten how heavy a regular weight jug of Tidy Cats could be.

I went to fill up with gas locally and saw that beginning next month they would add a 3% if a card of any type was used. I always pay the card in full each month so it is a convenience not to carry cash. I rarely fill up here as the charge per gallon is around 15 to 20 cents more a gallon but once in a while I will fill up here.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Sorry to be so late in posting -- it has been a crazy busy day for me. 

Glad you got the deck taken care of, Jean.  I still find it amazing that school starts so early in many locations.  Not in Maryland, since by law the public schools can't start until after Labor Day.  This law was passed to help the seaside resorts have a longer time to attract families.  I am sure college will start earlier for my grands, but I don't think as early as your schools.  Hope Midnight lets you get some more rest tonight.  Where did your find those chairs?

Hi Marijane -- that rain sounds nice.  It is very cloudy here, but no rain so far.  Just hot -- it was even pretty hot on my walk early this morning --85 degrees.  

Waves to Laura, Charlene, Bernie, and all of our posters and readers.

That is pretty funny about working just to wear your clothing, Laura.  When I first retired, I would dress up -- at least as much as I wore to work -- just to go to the doctor, etc.  But, after the move and time, I tend to wear casual clothes most of the time -- rarely wear skirts and blazers, etc except to church or a special function.  Still, I have too many clothes.

What a bummer to lose those photos you scanned, Charlene.  Glad you are happy with the homemade jam.  

That little Nativity is very cute, Bernie.

I had my exercise classes this morning -- cardio type followed by chair yoga  One of my buddies from Caregivers, grief, etc., attended for the first time and did well.

I raced home to change clothes and go to the vein doctor.  I waited for quite a while to see him, and he was very nice.  He said I should be wearing compression hose as much as possible and gave me a prescription for them.  I took the prescription to the medical supply house, and made an appointment for next week.  They said that my insurance will pay most of the cost 70%, I think. 

The doctor wants me to have an ultrasound of my legs to see what is going on with the veins, but the first appointment for that is not until August 19th.  Hopefully, they can fit me in a little sooner.  I saw from a poster on the wall that there is a new sort of procedure to treaat varicose veins, and I guess he might do that for me if my ultrasound confirms the need.

After that appointment, I went to pick up a ticket to a performance I'm going to on Monday afternoon with the senior lunch program.  Then, I had a quick lunch and went to the grocery store(s) after I stopped my the medical supply company.

Youngest DGS had some allergy testing, and found that he is quite allergic to many things like dust, grass, etc., etc.  == not food, but.....  And, his allergies are helping cause his asthma and lung issues.  So, the doctor wants to start him on special allergy shots, and he needs to pay the rest of the deductible ($700) to get the special serum.  Lucky his Grandma (i.e, me) can help.  The doctor also wants him to have an Epi pen available at all times.

I heard from my hospice patient's son, and I will be visiting her Saturday after next.  I'm happy to help him.

I'm pretty worn out at the moment, but I guess I better get things a little organized around here.  Fortunately, I made some eggplant Parmesan last night, so I know what I'm having for dinner.

Sleep well everyone!

Hugs,

Linda