Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JULY 10)

Good morning, shopping friends.  It is another day of continued rain. I loved the pic I saw on Facebook which showed a skeleton looking out the window; the caption read something like "Looking for the rain to stop." It is a shame that this rain can't be shared with the areas in need of rain.

I spent all day yesterday in the dental office in the city. It involved several different things during the day. There was one long period in which I could have gone out to eat which I did despite how bad the skies looked. About ten minutes later, the storm arrived with a horrible downpour to the point the city streets were flooded and you could barely see to drive. I beat a hasty but careful retreat back to the dental practice. I was quite happy when the day was over. I have to go back in three weeks which will be near time school starts again if I should decide to coninue working.

Today, I'm waiting for the Surgical Center in the state across the river from the city to call and notify me when my procedure is Monday to see if the bladder cancer has returned. We don't think so but this is the routine step to take because bladder cancer returns easily.  I also received the bill from the hospital for the cardiac ablation I had done. I had already checked the insurance website and saw they were in agreement with what I owed....a whopping $100 which I had already paid when I registered. I love my Humana plan.

I'm looking at the Quacker Factory show and see how much weight Angel has lost. She looks really good and hopefully she will maintain this loss after the wedding. I also read the update from Carolyn Gracie regarding her decision for a double mastectomy folliwng a diagnosis and family history. I wish her the best also.

I've done some sorting this morning, and also activated my AMEX card which was issued again because they are now using one of those chips in the card. It is hard to believe the expiration date is 2020 as that seems so far away. So many things can happen during that period of time, but time does pass quickly.

I do like the TSV and might break over and get it. I'm a big bracelet wearer and this price is good for a Ripka piece. I am trying to justify it as a "reward" for this challenging year.Excuses, excuses!

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JULY 10)

Sounds like you are handling everything with such grace and courage. You are to be truly admired. Hey, if that bracelet is calling your name, get it if you can for a reward for yourself. Keep the faith, and may God bless you. Please keep us all updated!
Honored Contributor

Hi Jean - thanks for getting us started this morning.

We've been getting on again off again rain and if the weather forecasters are accurate, I'm in for a warmer, steamier week ahead (yuck).

I've got my periodic cleaning at the dentist on Saturday.  There was a tooth we talked about extracting, but I think I'm going to have it crowned instead.  I'm missing a couple of uppers in the back and since they've been gone a long time, I am not going to pursue implants.  My original thought was - I'm going to be cremated and I don't want family getting ashes with screws in them.  Now I have a more valid reason - not interested in a sinus lift or bone graft (shiver).  I'm going to see if her lab makes the flexible partials that I've seen on the internet.  I don't care if my insurance company pays for it - I'll pay out of pocket.

You have to stay on bladder cancer for sure.  I know the procedure is not fun and games.

If you like the TSV, treat yourself.  I've never been a big Ripka fan - can't put my finger on why.

Hi Pam and all the regulars and visitors.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all are well this morning. Rained here again during the night, (I wasn't expecting it, thought it was over for a couple days), it's still cloudy but temps are supposed to start rising which means high humidity too. The yard is standing water again, not to be a whiner, but I am so tired of this. The good side is that I haven't had to water any plants lately, lol. However they are not looking all that great either, too much water is not good for them. Ok, done with my whining. Have no plans for today, would be a good day to re-start my decluttering...we'll see. Or maybe I'll work on putting together the personalized cook books I am making for my 2 daughters. I just need to put the pages together and make a front cover (am using 3" 3-ring binders and they will be full). Or maybe I will just become a couch potato, lol. Time will tell.

KK, wow, an all day dental appointment, not something I would like. My longest one ever was about 5 hours holding my mouth wide open for nearly 4 hours of that time, my jaws were so sore for several days after, lol. Are you considering not returning to work? Glad your insurance is paying well on your procedures, that makes so much difference. I didn't see Angel as I haven't had QVC on but glad to hear she is looking great. I think if you like the Ripka piece you should treat yourself to it, you have gone through a lot, health-wise this year. You deserve it.

Pamfrom Ct, I agree, KK does handle things so well and gracefully. Nice to see your post here this morning.

birdmama, my dentist is closed both Friday and Saturday, suprised me to hear/read that you can see yours on Saturday. I am getting an extraction on Tuesday, one in the back, no opposing tooth on top, I am not getting an implant for this one. I do have 2 implants, but don't plan anymore, unless I hit the lottery, just too expensive and at my age, don't see any possiblity of getting my money's worth from doing any more. The one I will have removed is kind of a strange situation, at least I have never heard of this before, wish I could remember the term they used for it. But, there is a "hole" between the tooth and gum area (not a cavity) that goes almost all the way from back to front. It is not causing me pain, but they say it will develop into a cavity soon now, and it is such a pita to do oral hygiene on that tooth. They also told me that these are usually a bugger to get out, so not looking forward to this, but just feel it's time to do it. I am going to be using leftover chicken from yesterday for dinner tonight so no major effort there. Hope everyone has a nice day, and weekend. Waving to everyone who posts or reads the thread later.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snicks, the lower left, last molar in the back was filled many years ago by a dentist who loved amalgam.  I'd swear that thing is 75% to 80% metal.  When my nieces were little they couldn't say the word Monster - they said Monser (minus the t).

I've always called frankentooth (lol) my Monser tooth.  There is no opposing tooth up top which is why my dentist said there could be a case for pulling it.  This was 6 months ago.  Well, since I like to plan for the future, I am thinking that there would be more return on investment to fight for the lower teeth and jawbone.  If I was a betting woman, I will likely throw in the towel and get an upper denture first.

I really think adult orthodontics didn't help, even though I was in my early 20's.  My teeth were solid as a rock, albeit a little snaggle puss prior to the braces.  I was in them for about 3 years so it's not like the orthodontist rushed anything.  I also chose to wear a retainer for 10 years after the braces came off.

I tell parents all the time - really get your kids braces if you can when they are young and their teeth are not so set in their ways.

I adore my dentist.  If she thinks she can successfuly crown Monser tooth, then I will see about the flexible partial.  This way Monser will have a partner (lol).

I know people who have, because of periodontal disease had dentures as early as 17 or 18 years old (my Ma), or in their late 30's, early 40's (my eldest sister and BIL).  They never looked back and never regretted the decision. 

I've put alot of money into my mouth over the years.  My hygienist and dentist have both told me that my mouth is immaculate.  My hygienst rarely has anything to scrape.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I have never had an all-day dental visit -- doesn't sound like fun at all.  I really hope that the bladder cancer has not returned.  I think you should treat yourself to the bracelet -- after all, the surgery cost very little, and I know you probably socked some money aside for that purpose.  A bracelet is a much better choice!

Too bad about all the rain you have been having there.  Our area could use some rain, but I don't think there is any way it could make it all the way to Arizona.  

I have not seen Angel, and I did not know about Carolyn's surgery.  I do hope that Angel manages to keep the weight off and Carolyn will be okay.  

Nice of you to post Pam, with such a supportive message for Jean.  Hope you can join us again.

Hi Bernie -- good luck with your dental visit on Saturday.  It is nice that your dentist sees patients on the weekends.  I have a couple of crowns that probably need to be replaced (one for sure), but I'm holding off as long as possible.  My Mexican dentist offered an implant for about the same price (or even less) that others charge for a crown, so I may try to go to see him when the time comes.

Good luck with your extraction, snicks.  I think all that rain would bother me, but not an issue here.  LOL

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, pinky ann, Charlene, LindaR, Susan, Rosa, Karen, Barbara, Gayle and all of our posters and readers.

I am hoping to get my hair cut today -- driving me crazy again.  And, I'll go to Curves this afternoon.  DH and I had a nice walk this morning.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda 

ETA -- interesting story about your dental adventures, Bernie.  Braces were suggested to me when I was in my 40's, but I declined -- sounds like a good decision.  I know periodontal disease can be a major problem.  My brother (who passed away four years ago) got full-mouth dentures in his 50's due to mouth neglect -- accesses, etc.  Not fun.

I hope that you do decide to work again this year Jean.  I know how much you enjoy working, and the students love you. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pam--Thank you for your comments. Being informed and on top of everything is important. I just don't spend much time worrying about things beyond my control. There are those who are struggling with extremely difficult situations; mine so far is just a bump in the road and not a huge pothole.

Bernie--I thought of you this morning when I was using the Mia2. I do hope all works out well for you using the Mia2.  I once thought about getting implants until I saw the cost involved and the time. At that time, the implants were permanent. Now, I kmow that you can take the "teeth" off the implant, etc. I know some use a couple of implants to anchor a partial instead of having the wires of the partial going around the real teeth.

Snicks--I know some people need to go through bone grafts, etc. to build up the bone area before implants are done. It is a big decision but I do think finances and age have much to do with influencing the decision. I thought of a pic when I saw your comment about the yard and water. I would have posted it, but the caption had a word in it that the censors likely would not have permitted. Basically, the pic shows a man on a riding lawnmower who has decided to tackle his flood lawn despite the never stopping rain.

Linda--You certainly can benefit from being close to the Mexican border. I had read many time about the quality service at the below States prices.  I grew up in pre-flouridated water and had some type of dental issue which affected my upper teeth and some lower. As a result, I lost them as that was the method of handling it when I was young. I have a full upper denture with no problems over the years. I'll likely go back to work as I enjoy it but much of it will depend upon how much they will be using subs.

I have that TSV bracelet on the September ship date.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean - good for you.  What color bracelet did you purchase?

Respected Contributor

Good morning to all. The heat and humidity are returning today.

Jean...good luck with the procedure on Monday. I told you my dh goes in every 3 months to have it checked. Sometimes there is something, sometimes, not.,his has not progressed at all in 3 years. I am contemplating that bracelet but there was an elephant sterling bracelet that was much more intriguing. All day at the dentist ...yikes,
Bernie, I have had all of my amalgam fillings redone or redone. My dd works in the health insurAnce field.
The weather has been strange in many areas ..I think I heard that it may be a difficult winter.

I enjoy reading all of the posts..I do not always reply individually.
Enjoy your day.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--I love white metals and have white gold as well as sterling. I already have a yellow gold one somewhat similar but without the Ripka heart so I got the sterling.

Barbara--Your words are always encouraging. I think I have seen an elephant bracelet. Is it the one with the elephants trunks in the air which means happiness, etc ?

Speaking of "hearts,"  I found a "lucky bamboo" in Lowes when window shopping there (big mistake) when I found I would be having these procedures. I decided to purchase it. So far, both of us have been lucky as we are both still kicking and I haven't managed to killl it.

luckybamboo.jpg