Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JAN. 29)

Good morning, shopping friends. We have sunshine after a dismal start to the day. The weeend sounds promising with higher temperatures for a pleasant contrast.

I decided not to work today. There is a possible conflict with the date the urology department scheduled the cytoscopy and one other procedure. I needed to call them and see if I could get the date at a mutually appropriate time. It is not only me, but the possible people that could take me to the procedure. There is a state holiday two days befgore the currently scheduled time that would work well for all of us. I did make the call but the person who is responsible for scheduling is out today. The practice did take all the info to give to the individual upon their return. I also didn't feel the best last night, so I did something I rarely do and that is cancel work.

I'm debating the Alegria TSV sandals. I have Vionic sandals but have heard great things about Alegria. I haven't ordered them yet from the Insider as I'm still debating.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JAN. 29)

Good morning @KonaKat, thanks for starting us off today. So sorry you weren't feeling well last night. Hope you are better today. I hope you can get your apptmt set up for a time that is convenient for everyone. It is difficult when you have to have a driver. I'm sure you will make the right choice on the possible shoe purchase.

The road crew showed up this morning to pour the concrete that they had to tear out at the end of my driveway. I needed to find out if the auto repair shop had the parts in to fix hubby's truck before they started the concrete pour since I won't be able to drive over it for a minimum of 4 hours once it's done. Found out I will be taking the truck in on Monday, so all is set up for that as well. I'm still looking at dresses for my granddaughters wedding, I may have found one, at Kohl's. Am seriously thinking of ordering it, haven't made the final decision on that yet, tho. Not much going on here, will be cleaning out another kitchen cabinet or two and the usual laundry, etc. Have a nice day everyone. Waves.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Jean, thanks for getting us going today.  I'm sorry you felt poorly yesterday.  I hope the appointment gets worked out in a way that works for everyone involved.

@Snicks1 - I think Kohl's is running a 20% off promotion this weekend which could help with the dress.

It's been trying to warm up here, which in my mind makes it feel even colder because dampness becomes a factor.  The sun is shining brightly and we are looking at 40's tomorrow and 50's and rain on Sunday.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

I sent you the 'email only' 20% off thing.  It came from my ATT email address which could throw you.  I did put - from Bernie in the subject.  I'm too lazy to use my phone to forward from one account to another, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Greetings!  Jean - sorry that you weren't feeling well yesterday.  Hope your future appointments get scheduled at convenient times.  I appreciate the encouragement to shop wisely.  Bernie - I liked the earrings you posted yesterday too.  I also delay purchasing things if I think the price is just too high.  I'll wait for clearance, or as-is, or ebay, etc.  Much of the time I can get it cheaper.  There was one Carolyn Pollack line that I really liked called "Botanical Bliss" that I waited and waited on.  Finally I gave in and bought the ring that I loved.  Shortly after, her website no longer sold it and I never see it on ebay.  I keep hoping that more pieces from that line will pop up, lol.  Snicks - yes, I had a good time at Bible study.  I often go out to Starbucks afterwards with two friends and it makes for a great day.  LindaL - Your strong bones workout sounds like such a good activity in more ways than one.  You're improving your health, and bonding with other women.  I feel bad for the widows who are struggling at taking over the finances since their husbands passed away.  Suze Orman thinks that before getting married, fiances should show one another their credit history and FICO scores to avoid unpleasant surprises like that one widow experienced.

I've got a special calender on my nightstand where I keep track of my weight, and the number of steps I've walked.  In addition, I decided to put a little sticker dot on each day that I purchased a "want" or splurge purchase of some sort.  Good grief, I am not off to a good start in 2016.  I have way too many dots on my calender the month of January.  I thought that I would get off to a good start, but I haven't.  I need to work on that.  My name is Charlene and I am a Shopaholic.

Well, I have a nice quiet day planned.  I have a few chores to do, but nothing major.  I hope that you all have a pleasant Friday!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Jean. I am sorry that you had to take the day off but probably a good idea. Hope that the appointment is made so that it works out for all of you. Allegria has some very nice looking shoes. SNICKs, finding a dress for your DGD's would be wonderful. Bird Mama, we are expecting 40' s for the next few days then the big snowstorm on Tuesday. Followed by cold temps. Oh well. It has been a great winter & February is usually the coldest month. I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but it has been a rough week. My DH got an email on Wednesday from another classmate saying that her appointment on Tuesday showed that the cancer is back & she has chosen no further treatments. She was at his HS class reunion in September. Mom was very agitated yesterday enough for me to call my brother to come see her ASAP. She hates her new place & wants to go home without any assistance. Today I went to the clinic to speak with somebody from palliative care. Mom wants that Dr. to come visit her at her assisted living place. I ask now waiting for them to call me back. While I was gone our DF came to the house crying. His SO was found slumped over in her car at the YMCA. Car running & deceased. This just breaks our hearts. I am going out with friends tomorrow for lunch while my DH is at his men's meeting,/ breakfast. On Monday I am having my abdominal ultrasound. They just called with my Sunday instructions. Lunch soon , then into the hot tub. I am looking forward to a couple of nice sunny days. I really like my new scarf & gloves that I bought on Wednesday. It looks like I will get lots of use out of them real soon. Hugs to all of you.
Esteemed Contributor

Charlene, We were posting at the same time.   2016 is just getting started so you still have a long time to change your shopping habits!  It sounds like you are doing well with your fitbit & walking more!  Your Bible study & coffee out with friends is very nice too.

Esteemed Contributor

I am so relieved as I just got a call from from mom's palliative care Dr. & he will be  visiting with mom & I at 3:30 this afternoon.  Off to get groceries & pay some bills.

Respected Contributor

Afternoon All, seems like most of us are having the same weather, we're warming up but a major storm expected Tues/Weds, starting as rain, turning to snow, which means ice underneath, so hope all are driving carefully during this time. Most of the previous snow has melted, so I got out in the yard with the pooper scooper, OMG! well at least now it's cleaned up ready for the next snow, in the Summer I pick up every day but the snow does conceal it nicely lol Doing some laundry today & picking up the house, I seem to have become a clutterer (is that a word?) which I really can't stand, clutter that is, so time to get busy Hope all stay well & have a good evening
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Jean.  Sorry you were not feeling well yesterday evening and are missing work today.  But, it sounds like you need the day off to feel better and take care of appointments, etc.  Things can be very complicated if more than one person is involved.  Hope you like those sandals if you decide to order them.

Hope you find and order a dress that you will really like for the wedding, snicks.  Good job with going through cabinets, etc.

Hi Bernie -- hope your weather improves.  We are having warmer than normal weather today and tomorrow (in the 70's), but a cold and rainy front is supposed to come through on Sunday night.  They are saying our high temperatures next week may be in the 50's (or even lower), and the low temperatures in the 20's.  Hopefully, our pipes won't freeze or anything.  They are wrapped, but who knows.

I have heard Suze Orman talk about the pre-marriage financial discussion as well, Charlene.  The one widow was mad at herself for not asking more questions.  Sorry you haven't been as careful as you might like to be in the shopping department, but I am sure you will improve.  Good idea to keep track of your weight and steps as well.  I keep track of my steps on my Sparkpeople account -- I joined back in August 2007, and I still enjoy having  a place where I can record my exercise and steps.  I don't bother with the food or weight tracking since my weight is pretty stable, but that was quite helpful at first when I was trying to lose a few pounds.

Hope that the meeting with your Mom's doctor goes well, twinny.  Sorry you have to go through these difficult times with your Mom.  Sad and stressful to be sure.  Hugs.  Also sorry to hear about your freinds' SO.  

Hi spix -- glad you are taking care of the clutter and the yard.  I am not an ice fan at all -- hope you don't have any problems with it.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Susan, Karen, Barbara, Rosa, Marijane, LindaR, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

The caregiver was a bit late this morning (she had an emergency at home), but that went well.  I dropped DH off at the club and took a walk.  I didn't have much time before I needed to meet him and the rest of the club at a Mexican restaurant.  We had a nice meal, and he seemed happy.  I was pleased that he could get on and off the bus (he has a fear of stairs).  I contacted his urologist so that he could get his overactive bladder prescription, and they said that it is approved and being sent to the mail order place.  The brokerage guy called, and I (and his kids) need to fill out a bunch of forms for his new trust account.  The broker left a message saying that he would help me fill out the forms (talk me through it), but he hasn't returned my call yet.  I hope he does so before I need to pick up DH.

DD said my SIL has a sinus infection, so she took him to the clinic and was getting some medications for him.  It was snowing there, and the old snow is still an issue.  I'm hoping that it was just flurries since Army DGS has reserves this weekend.

Guess I should look at those forms again in case the broker calls.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda