Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JAN. 11)

Good morning, shopping friends. I am sitting here awaiting the arrival of the snow tonight and tomorrow.

I had an appointment in the city tomorrow which looks as if it will have to be cancelled. In addition to the nasty roads, a section of the road between here and a town mid-way is destroyed. The oil and gas operation that went on this Summer weakened it with its equipment. Then all the non-stop rain undermined it with half the road collapsing. The equipment being used to repair the road is sitting on the undisturbed lane. Traffic has to inch around it using the gravel and soil berm. I don't think I want to try that with the snow.

The only desire I have to shop right now is for food. I'm hoping I have enough to last me through the snow or if I should venture out today and get supplies. Living in a rural area with little easy access makes it a challenge so snow may be beautiful but it is a major pain.

I got in 40 minutes of exercise while watching House as measured by my watch and the cycle. The Fit'Bit, however, says 32 active minutes I'll do another session later in the day.

I saw a presentation of the TSV. It may be of interest to some but it is something I can easily not purchase. Speaking of purchases, I am very tired of QVC luring new shoppers with a discount but not rewarding their faithful shoppers with a discount on purchase of choice at times. Even stores try to lure their faithful shoppers in with discounts, so why is the Q an exception?

Have  a great day. If you shop, shop wisely

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, JAN. 11)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ea/2a/1f/ea2a1f361f3a6d4ce4f54ea2ed3685fd--snow-quotes-funny-winter-quotes.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jean, hopefully you will not get a lot of snow.  We might get a dusting by tomorrow morning.  Hopefully you will have enough food to  hold you over.

I am sitting here with happy tears after the special  report saying that the missing 13 year old WI girl has been found after an almost 90 day prayerful search.  

I had a wonderful lab &  Dr's. report yesterday.  An A- from my happy rheumatologist & great report from my GP.  Yes, my DH and I celebrated with a good lunch at our Chinese restaurant.  Now I am hoping for a good report from my GI Dr. next month.

Groceries are the plan for this morning.  I have my yearly ladies church meeting this evening with a light supper and a White Elephant gift exchange.  

Tomorrow late morning,  we are taking some good friends  to see a comedian at our local MAC.  My DH and I are members & we like to support our different arts charities.  Then we plan to have lunch and cards in the afternoon.

It is a nice sunny 30's day and we are still having above normal temps.  We are in need of a lot of snow for the farmers and snowmobile fans.  Tourism is taking a big loss.

Hugs to all of you.

ETA. Yesterday when I was going over my meds with my Dr. she said that she heard the day before that our local Shopko Pharmacy will be closing. I don't know about the rest of the store, but she said that CVS Pharmacy bought them out.  It makes me sad to lose another store.

Esteemed Contributor

meallen--I llke your way of thinking, but reality often forces us out!! Smiley Happy

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I know you are not looking forward to the predicted snow.  Hope that your area does not get as much as predicted, and you have plenty of food to make it through the bad weather.  Sorry you may not be able to go to your appointment tomorrow.  That road sounds like quite a mess.

The TSV is an easy pass for me as well.  Just not my style at all.  I saw a lady at the gym wearing wide legged crop pants with socks, and I thought it was a very bad look for her, but that is just my opinion.  Another lady there looked like someone out of a fitness magazine -- matching jacket and pants, shoes, hat, and even pony tail holder.  I ended up talking to both ladies, and they were very nice.

The meeting last night was good, and I was well satisfied with the food.  It looked like they had shopped at COSTCO and purchased platters of vegetables, cheese, cut-up wraps, little meatballs, chips and dip, plus cookies.  It was a large crowd, and they said there was plenty of food, but I noticed there were slim pickings at the end.  I think they underestimated the appetite of 155 ladies in attendance.   The lady who gave me a ride was extremely nice, and so were some of the ladies I met there.

I was thinking about how Q seems to favor new shoppers in contrast to other stores that do the opposite, and it occurs to me that the cable company does the same.  They seem to raise their rates quite often, but their TV ads talk about the low rates you can get if you take their service.  Bah humbug.

I am meeting a fellow senior lunch program volunteer (different day) for lunch, and I plan to go to the grocery store after lunch.  I am really trying to cut back on groceries since unlike you, Jean, I think I could go for quite a while without running out of frozen and canned goods.  But, I do love fresh produce and dairy products, so I shop.  Trying not to get sidetracked to things I don't need.

Very appropriate graphic, meallen.

That is great news, twinny.  Hope you have fun and your area gets the snow you miss.

Waves to all of our posters and readers. Stay safe and have a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twinny--I saw the news about the girl being found and the man arrested. That is great news. Your news from the doctor is also great! Enjoy your snow, as I know you enjoy it.

Linda--It sounds as if you had a very successful event with a large turnout. I also agree with you about the teaser offers by some companies like cable and internet. We currently have an internet offer going for new customers locked in for two years at half of what I pay.

I called and rescheduled my appointment for tomorrow. If I lived in the city or on the roads they tackle first when snow hits, I wouldn't have done it but in our area it is so unpredictable.  I was in a situation once when it took me three times the normal time to get home from the city.  When getting near home, as I went up a steep hill, I found a beverage truck turned around in the road and another vehicle unable to get around.  I did manage to get around them and home but ever since that experience, I've been cautious. Three hours to travel 50 miles is not my idea of fun.

In the case of the beverage truck incident, I was 13 miles from home. My only other option would have been either to sit it out or gradually turn around and go back to the next town 14 miles away...and turning around on that hill would have been iffy.

The news just said tomorrow would be a day all the schools would be closed had they been open. I so dislike Winter because it is so hard to make plans and keep them. I am now off to the Post Office.

Esteemed Contributor

Jean. Yes,  it is great news that the  girl is in good hands and the 21 year suspect is in custody.  Just too bad that her parents are both deceased.

Meallen, cute graphic.  I am a snow lover and we can't seem to buy it this year.  It hurts people that plow snow in the winter months for a living, farmer's that want it for their fields, snowmobiler's, restaurants, motels etc.

Linda L, your meal last night sounded very good. I know people that buy food platters from Costco & they are always a hit.  We might be getting some of the hot appetizers from Costco tonight at my ladies church supper.  Grocery shopping went well this morning and I bought some nice strawberries, blackberries and red grapes for a fruit platter for tonight's meeting.

I was busy buying  birthday card's this morning.  Our DD turns 46 next Friday & our eldest dgs turns 18 next Sunday. Then our other dgs turns 16 the following Friday.  He is excited about taking his driver's test 3 days later.

I am having a lazy afternoon.  It's been a busy week of appointments.  

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon! - Always nice to hear the updates in everyone's lives. 

Have you ever heard of the book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?  It's a children's book about how one thing leads to another.  Well, that's been my life today.  I wanted to find room in my bathroom cabinet for a basket that holds a curling iron and a blow dryer.  The basket has been sitting on the bathroom counter for a long time, and I wanted to do something about it.  Well, I needed to find room in the cabinet, which led me to the other bathroom.  5 hours later, and I'm still not finished cleaning out those bathrooms.  Why did the bathroom my DH uses, have 8 containers of rubbing alcohol??? Why so many outdated bottles of partially used shampoos/conditioners/fragrances/lotions???  I'm pretty good about going through MY bathroom from time to time, but I don't think my DD has done anything about her stuff in 10 years, but that's how old a bunch of the stuff was.  But then again, there were the 4 brand-new deodorants that my DH had, not counting the 2 open ones in the medicine cabinet.  The only thing I have too much of in my bathroom is lotions, but I've been aware of that for 2 years now.   I've been on a big purge!!!

It always acts as a good reminder too.  If I (We) work harder at keeping things neat and tidy, it will be easier to see what we need and don't need, lessening the chance of ending up with multiples.  

Dinner tonight is going to be "breakfast", as I have a bunch of eggs that need to be used up.  Hope you all have a nice evening!  ~  Charlene 

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--It sounds as if you have had a busy day. I had a big selection of odds and ends shoved back in the cabinet going unseen. This resulted in my buying replacements I didn't need simply because at the time I didn't take time to see if I had the item when I didn't remember having it. 

I've been gradually going through cabinets. Also, I am getting very good at resisting all the latest lotions and potions that supposedly work wonders but in reality probably no more than the ones on hand.