Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, FEB. 26)

Greetings, shopping friends. The day I have been waiting for has arrived. The furniture store gave me a window of 9:30 to 1:00 for delivery. To my local friends, I asked them if they wanted to place a bet on delivery. I was amazed! The doorbell rang at 9:30am with me being second on the delivery schedule.

I now have a power recliner and a new hybrid mattress and matching box springs. The old ones were carted away by them. The delivery people were very nice and efficient. I will say, however, that if I get any shorter, I will need a step to get into bed as it is higher than the last set. I just finished making up the bed, and I am exhausted. I had to wiggle the mattress to get the sheets on, at which time I discovered how much heavier this mattress is.

I guess this is my treat to myself. I did get the store card so I could pay it off in installments at 0 percent, probably in time for another purchase. I will pay it off before the deadline.

I read the thread on the malls. I used to love to hit the malls. We can blame it on Amazon and friends, but after a period of time for we older people who no longer work full time, the fascination of shopping for clothing dims. Add to that, the decline in service of sales people who were more interested in talking on their cells than assisting customers. The city's JCP lost many customers because of that and when seasoned sales people went to another store that opened and more customer friendly.

Clothing is a necessity but over buying is not. People are now more concerned with meeting the needs with their budget. I needed new furniture so my money will be focused upon that and food for a period of time. I may get an occasional outfit for the season but not several. Just keep in mind the maxim that 80% of our clothing is worn 20% of the time. That is a large amount of clothing not being worn.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely. If you venture out, do so safely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, FEB. 26)

Hi Everyone!

The sun is old but the temps are still cold. Some snow and ice has melted but much. Rain is now in the forecast for the next few days and the temps are all over the place. We've had high winds for the last two days and more days are predicted. So far, we don't have too many branches on the ground. It's always a worry with all these trees and how our lot is situated.

KomKat---I'm so glad that your new furniture/mattress arrived early and set up was a good experience. What a relief to have these large ticket items in place and at 0% interest. ( I'm a big fan of that especially with cars) Enjoy your purchases.

I did pick up prescriptions yesterday and some groceries. The store wasn't crowded at either the pharmacy or the checkout. What a lucky break. Until.........I had just finished putting the groceries in the trunk and got in the car when all of my warning lights and collision alarms started going off. A woman in a large SUV back into my Crosstrek and hit my car. She didn't even stop until she saw me get out and standing at the back of my vehicle. Ihave some bare metal scratches on the corner but the impact bumper looks fine. She said that she saw my car parked but she thought her backup camera would apply her brakes if she was too close. Her car seemed fine. I thought at least she stopped (eventually) I think we can touch it up with that car paint pen. I've had worse happen in a parking lot so it's just an annoyance. 

Today will be banking and pushing the vacuum in the lower level. That should be enough "fun" for a Friday. I do have a credit to spend at Kohls from a return so I want to find another small sauce pan. I did receive the saucers I ordered from Lennox clearance sale and was very pleased. First the price, quality and packaging, They were hear in just days. I never knew they had so many sales. I think that will be one of my gift shopping sites. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  So glad your furniture came right on time.  I have found that some beds at hotels are quite high off the ground, but mine is just on a low-to-the ground frame.  I think I'll keep that in mind when I am in the market for a new bed. Taking advantage of the 0% interest sounds good to me so long as you pay it off in time, which I know you will do.

I haven't been in a regular mall for a very long time. The closest shopping area with stores like JCP, etc. is about 18 miles away, and it is not a covered mall.  Sort of like a very long shopping center.  Despite enjoying walking, I usually moved my car from one end to the other when I was there -- often very hot, plus carrying packages all that way could be an issue.

And, I haven't been to that mall in a few years since (like you), my clothing needs are few, and I can usually find things locally at Walmart and discount stores like Ross and TJMaxx.  I haven't been to the discount stores for nearly a year.

Hi Fressa.  Glad you were able to go to the pharmacy, but sorry about the car hitting you in the parking lot.  I think that lady should not count on technology to avoid hitting other cars.  My car is 11 1/2 years old, and lacks the camera, etc.  But, I would like to have that extra equipment when I replace it.  Hope the banking and vacuuming go well, and you find something you like at Kohl's.

My hospice volunteering went well yesterday, and I dropped off my Q return this morning when I dropped off the hospice mailings.  

This morning, DD texted me that their male dog was vomiting and crying, so they took him to the emergency vets.  After testing and giving him medication, they think that he was just severely constipated, but may have pancreatitis   It was an expensive visit -- more than $800, but I know they are happy he seems to be okay.  I sent some money (not the whole amount) since he is pretty much DGD's dog, and she doesn't have that kind of money.

It was only 29 degrees when I got up this morning, but it is supposed to make it up to 69 this afternoon.  I need to dress is layers these days.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I am glad that your bed and power chair came early.  Our bed is high too & if I ever become bed bound again, we will bring up the bed that's in our guest bedroom.  It's much lower.  I can remember when Christopher was a year old and needed to be changed.  I would tell him to go jump up on Grandma's Big Bed.  When he got to the bed, my  dh had to give him a boost.  

Fressa, our weather is in the upper 30's-low 40's.  It's our January thaw.  We might get a dusting of snow on Sunday, but mild temps for the next 10 days.  Our grocery stores have been fully stocked for a few weeks.  

Linda L, your temps are cool in the a.m.  I didn't realize that you got that cold overnight, but did warm up so much during the day. I am sorry to hear about the little dog being sick and needing to go to the Vet.

It's been a nice week, so I have been able to go for my walk except for yesterday.  We went to gym & did our grocery shopping.   We are heading to the gym shortly.  

My shopping day went good on Wednesday.  I found a Sealy mattress pad with a lifetime warranty at Big Lot's for $30.  I washed it in hot water like it said could be done.  It dried beautifully and is on the bed.  We did go to Kohl's,  but didn't need anything.  Lunch was a good carry out from the Cracker Barrel.  We did stroll through the Mall connected to Kohl's, but there were few people & several closed stores.  

This month has gone by so quickly & March is one of my favorite months.  It's not hot which I make the most of & the mopeds will be going back into the garage. 

No big plans for the weekend, but I am getting my next infusion on Monday at Noon.  The weather looks perfect for my DH as I don't think that he can go in with me.  We plan to go to JCP afterwards and probably get a carry out supper before coming back home.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Honored Contributor

I'm so happy that your new mattress and power recliner were delivered this morning Jean @KonaKat   

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Fressa  I got my driver's license when I was 16 (1978).  I'm glad I learned to drive when I did.  I bought my Altima in 2017 before I retired and it comes with a back-up camera in the dash that I never use.  I'm so use to cranking my body around to look behind me (to the right first and then the left) I think if I used the camera I'd get disoriented Woman Very Happy  I don't know why I don't trust it.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  dogs, cats and birds tend to hide when they don't feel good so having a pup cry out because he feels bad is nerve wracking.  That price tag for the visit made me do a double take.  It was very generous of you to help offset some of the cost. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you had a nice outing Glenda @twinny70 

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama---It did take me a bit of time to adjust to the camera and side mirror alerts. I still "look" and use the "new" equipment for those "surprises". My biggest concern was the grocerey store parking lot. Honestly..nobody looks either walking or driving...or so it seems to me. .