Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, FEB 23)

Good morning, shopping friends. I am sitting here awaiting a telephone call to see when my Monday procedure will be done. I don't mind it as much as I do the prep. I'm starting light eating today with the actual cleansing to be done on Sunday for the Retrograde Cystoscopy on Monday. I have every confidence that the cancer has not returned but if it has then we will deal with it.

I see that my TSV shoes I ordered shipped yesterday and were marked for the destination scan in the city early this morning. That means there is a remote possibility of getting them today. If not, then it may be Monday as UPS doesn't deliver to the Post Office on Saturday.

I read Bernie's comments about the St. Johns tops from JCP that she got on sale. I agree as I have had some of them in the past. With inflation's impact on salaries that don't increase much or frozen retirement then these big prices drive us to find quality at the best prices.

The public employees, including teachers, in our state has not had a salary increase in 10 years, plus proposed insurance cost increases will further decrease the net take home. We are on the second day of a statewide walkout which has closed all public schools in the state. These will be days that will have to be made up.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, FEB 23)

Sorry, I posted after Jean, but deleted my post. 

I'm hoping the test turn out as you think they will, Jean.  I saw an article about the strike -- I really feel for the teachers in your area and this one as well.  There have been several articles and TV programs talking about teachers leaving the profession since they are paid so little, etc.  And, extra insurance costs on top of that are just horrible.

This is what I posted. 

-------------

Good Morning, Ladies!  Another chilly start to our day (33 degrees when I got up), and our high is expected to be in the low 60's.  Those are well below normal temperatures for this area.  Looks like we are in this pattern for a while, but it should warm up slightly by Sunday.  Hope the weather is okay where you are.

DH's son didn't make it here until almost 8:00 p.m. because his second flight was delayed by at least 30 minutes.  I was glad he made it before 8:00, because I was about to start on dinner.  What surprised me was that he was still watching TV at 10:00 p.m. (midnight in his "home" time).  I decided to read in bed then since I usually can't get to sleep without reading for a while.

He got up around 7:30, and I was almost finished with breakfast.  But, I stopped to get his breakfast before I went to my strong bones class.  He decided to walk up to DH's facility later.  I'll be going to visit DH after I change my clothes.

I like the TSV, but I will not be ordering.  Shoes are difficult to order without trying them on, and I really don't need more shoes.  I hope any who order like them very much.

My middle DGS' truck was in the shop yesterday (parking brake), and he just got it back in the afternoon.  He and youngest DGS went out to the local Wal-Mart after dinner, and were driving home in pretty heavy traffic when a young lady driving a compact car, T-boned the truck.  She only had her learner's permit, which means (I think) she should have had an adult in the car, but she did not.  In addition, when he went to check on her, she started yelling at him, and told him that it was his fault.  A witness had called the police, and the police told her that was not possible since his truck was hit from the side, and the front of her car was damaged.

DGS was upset and angry, but realized that he was the only adult (he is 22) there before the police arrived.  So, he held his tongue and tried to be calm.

The truck is pretty badly damaged -- two doors (including the driver's side door) are smashed in, and he would need to hold the door shut to drive.  So, poor DD has to drive him to work for the time being.  I think we are all concerned that they will say the truck is "totalled" and not give him much money since it is old.  I guess we will need to cross that bridge when we come to it.

DH was in great spirits yesterday, so I'm hopeful he will be that way while his children and granddaughters are here.

You got some great bargains on those shirts, Bernie.  I think the reason I was interested was that a D&Co. tank was shown (big clearance), but with shipping and handling plus tax, it would have cost $25.00 or more.  Wal-Mart is my "go to" place for tanks and plain T-shirts, and I think I could have a T-shirt or tank wardrobe for that price.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone, Jean - thanks for getting us started today.  Walk-outs and strikes can be unpleasant things to go through.  I hope that the teachers in WV will be treated well.  Truthfully the teachers in CA are paid quite a bit better than in other states, though the cost of living varies widely depending on where you live.  Years ago I was talking with a woman from Arizona who was earning $48K a year with a masters, the same teacher in CA would be earning $75K a year.  Don't know what it would be now, but those salaries sure vary.  Linda - hope that the visit from your DH's son goes well for all involved.  I cringed reading about your DGS's accident.  There are way too many bad drivers on the road, and that young girl was definitely one of them.  Hope your DGS gets a good settlement on his truck.

I had a fun errand day yesterday.  I picked up a few inexpensive used books at the library's little store.  Then at Walmart my one fun splurge was an Easter plaque to hang by the front door.  I really like it and it was about $6.  One of my smart shopping moves was purchasing wool balls for the dryer there.  I had seen them on QVC for much, much more, so I went looking at Walmart and there they were.  You put a couple in the dryer and they reduce drying time and helps keep things "fluffy".  The one thing I couldn't find was a rubber broom, so I went ahead and ordered the Don Aslett set here from the Q.  Our dog's long black hair just doesn't get picked up by our vacuum cleaner, though the vacuum works great on everything else.  Let's hope the rubber broom works well.  I have such an exciting life, don't I?  LOl.

I made no progress whatsoever on my digital photos yesterday, so I'm planning on doing that today.  Oh, and our oranges are ripe now.  They're rather small this year, but quite sweet.  So nice to be able to go outside and pick fruit off the tree.

Greetings to all, and hoping you have a pleasant Friday!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I am sorry about DGS's accident. Those with a learner's permit in our state are also required to have a licensed driver in the car. It is good that he held his anger in check despite the cause, the amount of damage, etc. I do hope the owner of the other car had good insurance. I am also happy that DH's son is able to visit with you and with DH. I do hope DH is doing well during the visits.

Charlene--We have teachers who live in this state and work in adjoining states because of the salary diffferential. They drive about 30 miles which is very similar to some teachers in our state we have who work in our district but live out of the district. My district is the lowest paying in the State as people locally will not support taxes to increase salaries. They could earn about $10,000 to $15,000 more if willing to work an hour and a half drive one way for the job.

The salary increase the governor proposed was not enough to pay for the proposed insurance cost. When I retired, you could accumulate sick leave and use those unused days to either pay for insurance or increase time worked. That was a significant amount but the Legislature has removed that so there is no longer any incentive to save sick leave. As a result, teachers have no problem with scheduling appointments, etc. on work days as they know the days will be lost if not used.

I have that rubber broom thing. It does work well so I hope it works well for you. I've found many QVC items in WalMart, etc.

I am still waiting for the Surgical Center to call. I hate staying put to get calls but I know the minute I walk out of the house, they will call. They also review the info again, so they don't want to leave a message.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Well, well! The TSV shoes that were shipped yesterday and ordered on the 21st are at the Post Office delivered by UPS. This has to be a record shipping for the Q to me.

I also got my time for the procedure. I'm the last one that my doctor is doing, so I'm scheduled at 11:45am. I've always been out of that place by then.  I like getting things done earlier so I can get my coffee and a decent lunch.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  by now I'm sure you know what time to report for your procedure.  I am sending good thoughts to support your feelings that all is well :-)   The TSV shoes are cute.  Did you say what color your ordered?  

I ordered some Solgar circumin from VitaCost the other day and I couldn't believe it was delivered today.  Seriously, I don't think it's been more than 3 days.  And I did remember to check ebates and scored 7%.  I am determined to remember ebates every single time this reimbursement cycle.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte  I hope that your husband's family has a great visit with him and that they make fond memories.

I'm sorry to read about your grandson's car accident.  He did well holding his tongue until law enforcement came.  You gotta wonder what it wrong with the youth today - the little girl causes an accident and then has the nerve to get mouthy about it.  SMH

Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb  Aside from working at home, my excitement was fixing the lock on the back door.  I have a deadbolt lock and then a doorknob that has a lock in it.  I noticed that when I was closing the door, the doorknob latch wasn't catching going all the way in the strikeplate hole and catching on the strike plate.

I'd close the door, pull the doorknob and the door would open.  Maybe something sagged over the years I don't know, but I was determined to find the cause and fix it.

I took the strikeplate off, studied all of it for a few minutes and found that the doorknob latch was a little higher than the hole in the strikeplate.  I took the strikeplate off and armed operated dremel and accessories, I did a little sanding and viola, problem solved.

Solving little problems like this make me really happy.

Honored Contributor

I just noticed that you posted your procedure time @KonaKat 

I wish they could have gotten you in earlier.  I feel bad that you are going to miss a morning cup of Joe.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Shipping times can be amazing. I got an international cell phone that took one day to reach me from the UK. I do hope you get the lock issue corrected. I have an outer door that has the double locks on it and normally just used the one. I locked it the other day and it locked but when I pulled on it, it opened. I'm using the deadbolt lock now.

I got good old boring black shoes. I am not motivated enough to go to the Post Office and pick them up tonight. I am enjoying sitting here.

I think I will be having a mug of strong coffee at 11:55pm the night before the test. That will enable me not to have any food or drink after Midnight.  I've had to go without it for 24 hours prior to a stress test so I can manage this time. I just don't like the prep deal on Sunday. For some reason, the prep this doctor has me to follow is worse than the one the other doctor had me follow for a colonoscopy.

The walkout continues on Monday. It is good that the schools have AC as June can be hot.