Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, FEB. 15)

Good morning, shopping friends. I could have worked today but decided 4 days already worked were enough especially when I feel as if I'm trying to get a cold. 

February is half over which means March will soon be here. The weather today is expected to be decent but possibly the weekend won't. As a result, I'll be making a quick trip to the city in the afternoon. Just getting out for the 3 hour round-trip drive will be a pleasant diversion from the usual activities.

I don't need the TSV but I do have a Calista in two different sizes. It definitely works well for me. I received the PTR Special Value which I paid for in one big (ouch) payment. Motivation is that if one knows that it is a good product and were buying it at Amazon then there would not have been easy pays so why not pay the full price at one time at the Q. I did note that PTR does not recognize Amazon as an authorized retailer of his products.

I did book four major tours that we will be doing while in Australia. Two of them are limited to number of people as a mini-bus is used, and one tour which is to Australia's capitol city is just offered twice a week.

The flight from Columbus to Houston is a time that is easily handled but the 18 hour non-stop from Houston to Sydney will be a challenge. When I last did this 11 years ago, the 14 hours from LAX to Sydney were forever.

The positive about this routing is the short time spent in layover as well as only one connection. This makes the trip shorter than going through the West Coast as we would have had to make a double connection and time wasted in airport layovers almost 6 hours total for both layovers in Chicago or Dulles and then LAX or SFO.

The sunshine is beautiful so it is something to be enjoyed before possible nasty weather arrives. We have been fortunate that the extreme cold has been our major problem so far.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely,

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, FEB. 15)

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Glad you took the day off -- sounds like you needed it.  Enjoy the weather and your trip to the city.  It is cloudy here, but fairly warm.  We are expecting rain and cool weather next week.  Not my favorite weather, but......

Your trip to Australia sounds great except for those very long flights.  But, I do understand the value of one long flight rather than having to do the layovers, etc.  I will not soon forget our trip back from Cambodia.  We flew to Thailand and had to hang around for many hours, then we flew to Korea, then Japan (had to get off the plane and go through security in the middle of the night), and then Los Angeles.  I felt like a zombie by the time we made it to LA.

I was considering the TSV, and it is interesting to learn it works well for you.  I had read some reviews of previous models that said the brush got stuck in the users hair and some said the brush only lasted for a few months before it stopped working.  I am assuming that has not happened to you, correct?  I also am not exactly sure what size to order if I do order it -- I think my hair is about the same length as yours.  What sizes do you have?  

The CPR training did not take as long as expected, which was good.  I don't plan to give CPR to anyone or do the Heimlich maneuver, but it was interesting learning the techniques.  

Since I got home earlier than expected, I went to the gym yesterday afternoon.  Glad to have that out of the way.  

Nothing exciting planned for today.  I'll take a walk later (I did some power walking indoors earlier), and I also plan to go to the grocery store.  I took down my Valentine's Day decorations, and I think I'll probably hold off on putting up new things.  I had purchased a $1 box of chocolates and had a piece yesterday evening.  Actually quite good.  It was difficult not having one of the others (there were only three), but I held off.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. for those of you who are willing to pray for others, please add my former BIL, Robert to your list.  He is struggling after a stroke he had last year. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Ladies, cloudy but warm day here expected to go up to 50..I'll take thst.   My lug s/v should be delivered today by mail. I had also ordered a matching wallet.

When we went to Australia Jean we flew from Newark to LA and stayed the weekend to visit DH cousin.  then we went straight out ...I guess I didn't realize it was so far from Hawaii,ad we had been there many times,  so I thought only a few more hours to go! Wrong,as you know!  It was worth the long flight though.  highlight of the trip  for me was snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef.

Not much else going on here...just some house stuff...hope you get into the city.      Have a nice day everyone....Marijane.

Linda looks like we were posting at the same time....I surely will say a prayer for your former bil.    I also have one of those curlers, I don't use it much but am pleased with it.  I have the 3/4 brush.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--I have the one inch and the 3/4 or smaller one, I've forgotten the measurement of the smaller one. I use the one inch most frequently as it gives great body and lift. I have had the smaller one to get caught in the hair but not the bigger one. I have had both for over two years. I guess I couid do a search of my order history and see if those orders are still listed. I will try to remember to do that once I get back.  I  do have a dual voltage one that I bought for international travel that works very well. I'll look for it as I got it at Amazon.

Marijane--I looked at flying there from Hawaii if I had decided to do Hawaii and Australia both in one swoop. It is about ten hours from Hawaii. It looks like such a small distance on the map.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Mairjane and Jean.  I forgot to send my best wishes to Charlene -- hope the flooding in your area does not cause too much damage/trouble.

Trusted Contributor

YEs it does look like a small distance...the pilot on our plane pointed out that if we looked out the window we could see we are passing over Hawaii so that's why I thought ..oh Boy only a couple of more hours!  LOL!   Coming back we flew to Kauai and stayed 2 weeks....then the trip back to Newark felt like a breeze.

Trusted Contributor

Wow - all of your vacations sound fun!  I might be the only one who hasn't been to Australia, lol.

At the moment it is not raining, but it is expected to resume later on.  Yesterday my DH came home from work in the mid-morning and chopped down weeds growing along our fenceline that was creating a lake in our field.  It helped.  You may have remembered last year during wild fire season, our local mountain, Mt. San Jacinto, had a bad fire.  Well, it just got the bad rains last night.  The town of Idyllwild only has 3 roads that lead off the mountain, one to the north, one to the south, and one to the east.  All 3 of the mountainous roads washed out in different places.  

And just like during last year's wild fire, my DH had to work up at their lake last night.  The water district he works for, owns one of the oldest masonry dams in the country.  The state of CA was panicking about the possibility of it giving way, as the level of the lake was rising 1 foot an hour.  Direct access to the dam was blocked, so my DH and 4 other men with equipment like chainsaws, had to hike through the forest and brush to get to the spillways and open them up, so excess water could be released.  I should add - the dam is located way up in the mountains, far from any people - so even though it is old, it is allowed to remain in use.  Hope that makes sense.  

Because of the flooding, my Bible study was cancelled yesterday.  Changes like that leave me at loose ends a bit.  Not sure what I'll be focused on today.  Hope I get something accomplished.  But at least I'm NOT shopping, lol.  

Have a great day ladies!  ~ Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I checked my order status but the site started having a problem after I had gone through one year of listings. You may want to go to Amazon and check out this dual voltage curling brush as it has great reviews. I got it to use while in England and plan to take it with me to Australia. The reviews are outstanding: PHOEBE Curling Iron Brush, Dual Voltage Travel 1 Inch Ceramic Tourmaline Ionic Hot Hair Curler Brush...

Charlene--Dams have their function but when they give way, the water can be a major problem for people. Your DH has a very responsible job and it seems the crazy weather the past two years has been demanding of him and your patience. It would be frightening to live in the path of a dam collapse.

I made the run to the city, checked in with the vet regarding Midnight's boarding and also dropped of items for donation. On the way back, I had an urge for an Arby's reuben which I love. At that point, I discovered I didn't have my wallet. It is good that I hide money in the car but I kept my fingers crossed that I didn't get stopped by a policeman for some reason.  I found wallet by my chair, so apparently I forgot to put it back in my handbag after using it to book the tours. Duh!!!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @KonaKat , my DH does have a job with a lot of responsibility - simple put ; to make sure people have safe water to drink.

I just got back from making a trip to the library where I donated 3 bags of books at their used book store.  Between there and a used book store nearby I purchased 8 new/used books.  Getting rid of much more than I'm taking in, so that's good.  Now I know what chores I'll be focused on for the rest of the day, so I feel I have a purpose. Take care!

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, that is something about what your husband is doing, and the conditions there, Charlene.

Thanks for the information, Jean.  I decided to order the Amazon version -- first, way less expensive, and the dual voltage is a great idea.  Thanks again.