Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, DEC. 6)

Greetings, shopping friends. I didn't think I was ever going to get into the forums. It refused to recognize my password which worked on the other places here requiring a sign in. 

A friend just sent me a text that they were preparing to put up a tree and also a set of outdoor Christmas decorations they had gotten at Kohls last year for $20 but originally sold for $200. It was their opinion that they wouldn't pay $200 for them, and reinforced their opinion  holiday items are overpriced.

At the same time, I got an email from "Becoming Minimalist" which had the following information: According to the National Retail Federation, the average shopper in America will spend $1,047.83 during the winter holiday season (mainly Christmas) on gifts and other seasonal items. This financial quote includes seasonal items in addition to gifts.

Some holiday decorations are in good taste; others are overdone. Quality versus quantity?  I include  holiday sweaters and tops in the holiday decoration category. There is no way I would pay $50 or more for a top that screams Christmas only and is not worn often. Cost effectiveness?

I worked today for a total of three days of subbing this week, and will work three days next week. We will be breaking for Christmas break after the next two weeks and the week before Christmas is semester exam time. It is hard to believe school is half over.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, DEC. 6)

Hello Ladies......I have been getting..sorry you are banned from this site.  i Had tried earlier this week.....had gotten  the same message a few days last week but only on this site....I could get everything else related to qvc though.   I had my hair cut and colored on Tuesday,almost six weeks since last time.   Also been busy with decorating and  trying  to Christmas shop.....on line.  I still have a lot to go on the decorating front.

It has been a crummy day but not too cold.  The big snow storm of last weekend never materialized,we did get a few inches though .My DD in Vt got almost 2 feet and my son in Maine, who cut his Thanksgiving weekend short here had about a foot.

Not much else....hopefully will get a lot of my decorations done this weekend......still no tree though, I did buy 2 smaller ones  one for the living room and covered porch.

Have a nice evening...Marijane

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat   the Q forums have been tempermental all week.  Based on the numbers quoted by the National Retail Federation, I am happy to announce that I am way below average Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Marijane @Genny1   Short of some scattered flurries that went nowhere, we didn't get any snow. It's been overcast and gloomy most of the week.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  Sorry the boards caused problems for you.  Glad you worked today.  I agree about the price for holiday items. I used to go to the stores the day after Christmas to pick up decorations, gift wrap, etc.  I really don't need more at this point.  I did buy three Santa hats at the 99 cent store -- we use them to cover our columnar cactus when it gets cold  The alternative is a Styrofoam cup, but the hats are so much cuter.  

Sorry your weather isn't nice, Marijane.  Hope you get your decorating done this weekend.  I just had my hair cut and styled today.  I am pretty pleased with my hair so far.  We'll see after I sleep on it tonight.  

Too bad it is overcast and gloomy in your area, Bernie.

Sorry to be so late in posting.  I was busy with trying to get money from two of my grands 529 accounts for the next quarter.  I could not believe how easy it was this time -- just on-line.  I have been doing this for more than 8 years, and usually I have to be on the phone for ages.

After my haircut and visit to the 99 cent store, I went to Wal Mart for a few groceries and a toy for donation, and then to the dollar store to get a pocket calendar for 2020.  I didn't find anything else of interest.  I came home for lunch and then went grocery shopping.  I ran into one of my buddies in Safeway, and she told me that she has a hernia and needs to go to another doctor.  Later I remembered that my DD has a hiatal hernia -- not sure if that is the type she has.

I came home and found that the OLLI classes for "spring" were ready for viewing.  Deciding what classes I want to take and making sure there were no conflicts with other classes and activities took time.  I think it will be some time in January when I find out what classes I will be able to take.

The TSV looks very cute, but I'm desperately trying not to order since I rarely wear PJ's.  So far, so good.  But, I'm trying to avoid watching the Q today. 

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda