Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, DEC. 4)

Good Morning, Ladies!  We are expecting warmer than normal weather (70's) again today, and I'm happy about that.  The house is still pretty cool/cold, but I have my new space heater to keep me warm. LOL  Don't worry, I have DH wrapped up in a throw and the other space heater near him.

That looks like a cute hat, snicks.  Hope you like it when it comes.  Good idea to get well-fitting jeans.  I don't like them when they are too baggy, which has happened sometimes.  Other times, I have needed to get jeans with elastic in the waist or a bigger size.  Right now, I'm on the lower range of my "acceptable" size.  

DH's podiatrist visit went well, and I ended up ordering him a new pair of shoes since his fairly new ones are wearing out.  Now that he rarely walks, they may last quite a while.  Not that I'm happy that he isn't walking much.  This morning, he has been pretty out of it, so I'm hoping things improve during the day.

For a change, I have no appointments today.  I do plan to go to the gym, take a walk, pick up a prescription for DH, and do a little grocery shopping.

Waves to Jean (working today), Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Bernie, snicks, Susan, Charlene, Marijane, LindaR, Barbara, Rosa, pinky ann, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Hope many of you have the opportunity to post today, and everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda 

Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, DEC. 4)

Hi LindaL, thanks for getting us started today.  I think today will be a little bit calmer at work.  Such is the nature of what I do, some days are just flooded with non standard benefit requests :-)

I have Monday off as a vacation day and have an appointment with a service repair person for my washer.  I am on an appliance repair plan with my gas company, and I called them yesterday to schedule a visit for my washer, which is leaking intermittently from the bottom. 

Because I am a 'wash woman' I don't let it break my stride and continue to do a load a day.  I have between today and Sunday night to see if I can further pinpoint when it is happening.  This morning I did a small load and nothing.  I will stress test the machine with a medium load and large load (code for include some bath towels) and see if that's when it leaks.

I already mentioned to the service plan rep that I thought my water pump was going or one of my hoses could be out of whack.

I need to find my yardstick so I can rubber band some folded paper towels on the end and 'sweep' under the machine.  I don't like the floor under the appliances to look nasty when I know a repair person is coming, lol.

I ordered two wallets the day before Thanksgiving and received them yesterday.  One of them might go back if I don't decide to donate it to the Salvation Army.  The other one is a winner - Buxton Wescott Clutch.  I bought that one in red (leather) and it's just what I want so I'm thinking of going to Buxton direct (better priced) and ordering a navy one to put on the side.  You don't see a navy wallet everyday, lol.

I like to carry my checkbook cover DH bought me.  Not many wallets out there will accommodate what I like to schlep around. 

The weather should be tolerable this weekend - near 50 degrees so I am determined to take another shot at the Christmas lights.  I think I will get the Christmas tree and decor out and get some holiday spirit visible in my house.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, sunny day here but chilly but not too bad....still warmish for December.

Snicks I think that half zip top from LE is 50% off...not sure what kind of a discount you received  on yours....  I ordered the two of them...winter white and Mellon (I think that's what it was called). A few days ago I had ordered 2 pairs of jeans for DH and a flannel top for me...I think I had gotten a ship notice from them  so maybe I"ll get mine today too.

Bernie happy that you are having a quiet day at work....hopefully it will stay that way till it's time to go home.   I hope your washer it an easy fix.  Had to laugh about the " wash woman" description....I also like to do laundry..even though there's just of the two us I can do a load a day.  I guess I don't like having to do a pile all at once .  The one thing I don't like to do is putting it all away !

Hope your DH has a better day ahead of him LindL and that you have a relaxing day also.  Guess I was mixed up and thought your DH had started 2 days a week to his club....

Not much  here...for the past week I have been putting up the Chtistmas decos....almost finished....we still haven't gotten our tree yet, hopefully next week.  The brown truck has been making his daily delivery with Christmas presents...I think this may be the first yr that I will not have gone to a mall to Chtistmas shop once.  I may still go over just to look around but for nothing in particular ...so no pressure to buy anything.

Pizza tonight so it's an easy day for me.

Have a nice day everyone.....Marijane

Honored Contributor

@Genny1

Marijane, I can handle my oven being out of commission, the fridge acting stupid, the stove being tempermental.

When my washer or dryer act up, I practically run through the house saying Warning Warning, Equipment malfunction.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!  I'm just so frustrated I could cry!  These animals are driving me up a wall...the cats knocked down and broke one of my favorite mugs, spilling coffee all over the place, the tablecloth is in shreds, and I woke up to find someone pooped on the floor (litter boxes were scrubbed yesterday, so there's no excuse), and for some reason someone peed on the top of the plastic container that the litter comes in.  Oh, and the entire roll of toilet paper was in a pile on the floor... Went out to the back porch, where I discovered Angelica and/or Honeybun tore up the dog bed - this one has a heavy fabric on a metal frame, so it's not easy to rip up like regular dog beds.  Fine. That's IT - they can now sleep on the bare wood, seeing they've torn up about four dog beds, my nice quilt, blankets, throws...  I also keep the cans of dog food back there. Would you believe those demons masquerading as dogs got hold of the cans and CRUSHED THEM OPEN???  METAL cans!  Cat Surprised The food was all licked out.  Once again - FINE. That's it -  dry kibble for the rest of the month; I'm not made of money. Cat Mad

So, the handyman left a little while ago.  Now, bear in mind, this is a GENERAL HANDYMAN, OK?  When I called the number I was given by the woman from the church where I helped with the Christmas boxes (She said the handyman company was started by a Navy SEAL who hires veterans), they told me I had to call their "other office," as they didn't cover my zip code from that one, which I did.  So the guy comes, knew NOTHING about the original company, and as soon as he walks in the door tells me, "I'm probably more expensive than anyone else because I'm licensed, bonded, and insured."  HOW expensive, you ask?  Would you believe he said he wants $75 an hour????  I had him look anyway as long as he was here, since last time I had the ducts repaired it was maybe 1/3 as bad and took half an hour's work.  This crook comes back with "minimum of $400 plus materials."  Adios!  Cat Mad

I now have calls in to two handyman places that do free estimates.  I thought to call a place I used to do volunteer work with, as they also have programs to help the disabled, people over 50, etc.  Well, the woman I spoke to said there's a real need for that sort of thing...but they don't know of anyone.  I told her I used to work with them and suggested I help start up a program; I'll be talking to the director on Monday.  (But that doesn't help me right now.)

I called a local church that I've been meaning to visit to see if they knew of anyone who could do odd jobs who was looking for extra money for the holidays.  The woman was very nice, and she transferred me to their maintenance department, but with it being Friday afternoon I just left a message as no one was in.

You want to hear the cherry on the cake?  Well, last year I sold a very nice printer to a deacon from a church I visit from time to time, because I got a wireless one...which has been nothing but trouble from the start and is going to either the thrift shop or the trash. (Do I want to inflict the misery on someone else?)  I ran into him yesterday, and he told me the printer I sold him is WONDERFUL!  I'm so sorry I sold it...  Cat Sad

Oh, wait...there's more!  The laptop I got a few months ago?  The touchpad isn't working properly; and after a HALF HOUR of hearing, "Your call is VERY important to us; please wait on the line" over and over and over...I finally talked to someone about the problem. They're sending me a label so I can send it in for repair...which leave me without a computer while it's gone.

And it doesn't end there!  Oh no!  The THIRD Kindle I got from Amazon?  This one is defective as well!  That's it - I want my money back, both for the Kindle and for the case I got for it, since I have no use for it. 

The bright spot in all this (if there is one) is that is hasn't been really cold; 50s during the day, and 30s at night, but oddly, I'm plenty warm enough without even using the space heater.

I got the troops' Christmas packages mailed yesterday; each goody bag (there are around 100) has a tract in it, so please pray for them.  I also sent some puzzle books and magazines that one unit requested.  I went to the buy/sell/trade bookstore because my BFF's son who is in prison said a guy in there loves Archie comics and has no family to send him anything, so I got him a few.  $1.50 each...USED.  Remember when we were kids and comic books were 10¢, or a quarter for the "fat" ones?  I did get some freebies in the outside bins, and a few cozies for 10-50¢, which was surprising - their prices are often high, with them charging $4.50 for paperbacks I can get on Amazon for a penny plus S&H.

Aldi was nearly empty, as the sign on the door said CASH ONLY - their debit and EPB system was down.  I only needed a couple of things, but when I was checking out saw they have nice tablets for $79, and of course Aldi has a great guarantee on everything they sell.  I didn't have that much cash, but one of the cashiers' debit terminal was working intermittently, so I tried...and it went through.  The way it worked was the display had cardboard signs (about 8 X 11) that showed a picture and listed the features. The clerk rang me up, gave me a free shopping bag (I went in for one thing and bought about 6), and as I was leaving asked if she put the table in the bag; she said she did. Fortunately I looked - she put the cardboard sign in the bag!  For some reason she thought that WAS the tablet...  (sigh)  The other cashier told her the tablets are in the office, and she got one for me. They walk among us...

Anyway, that's half the price of the Kindle I'm returning; I'll keep my old Kindle for reading, but I'm through with the Fires...they're getting worse and worse instead of better and better.

Bird, I don't know why, but when I lived in an apartment building when I first moved here and had to use a laundromat, I had 2-3 loads of wash a month.  Now I have that every week!  I don't know what's really changed...apart from washing my PJs after one wearing instead of 2-3.

It was awful about the terrorist attack, but I'm afraid the Western nations are going to be seeing more and more until they wise up...  Cat Frustrated

Glad you have a little time to yourself today, LindaL.

Well, I have some ground beef in the refrigerator that has to be used; I've been meaning to make sloppy Joes, so I'll have that for lunch.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed day...and I'd really appreciate prayer; the holidays are bad enough, but this is ridiculous...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FunkyHulaGirl

Arlene, I'm at a lost to know what to say about the companion animals in your household and their shenanigans.

It's hard to find run a reliable handyman, anywhere.

You have a generous heart, I can see that with your donations to the troops and children.

At the risk of ticking you off, there's an old saying that Charity Begins at Home.  I am saying that in relation to the printer that you gave away.

In my mother's words - don't be so quick to give everything away or you could end up looking through your fingers.

Does this make sense?

Respected Contributor

Bird, I didn't give the printer away, I sold it; my mistake was in selling it before I tried out the new one.  Sometimes, the simpler things are best; as much as I print I could have just carried the laptop into the office and connected it to the printer.  (sigh) 

I keep thinking - they keep talking about recycling and "going green."  Yeah, well...things used to be made to LAST; now everything is disposable ****** that doesn't last.  What a crock! 

Well, I guess I'll spend the weekend looking for things I can list for sale... I have a Dennis Basso red coat, a faux mink, two leather jackets (all never worn), purses, a set of dishes...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

I agree with you, in many instances things today are not built to last.  As a matter of fact, you know how with a full size wallet you get a sleeve of maybe 6 plastic things that hold photos?

Last night I was transferring stuff out of the temporary broken down wallet into my new red wallet.  I had three of those photo sleeve things on the couch with me and I said, hmm, which of these three look the best and most clear?  Man oh man, the new wallet picture sleeve went in the can because the flap you slide into the wallet was so flimsy as to be unbelievable.

I said to myself, man they even dumbed this down.

This is what I am talking about - not sure what they are called