Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDAY, AUG. 16)

@AuntG the green one is beautiful too.  Susan had pretty prints this time around.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

My one and only experience with Amtrak was kind of rough Woman Very Happy  but I did learn alot about train travel.

I decided to take a train to NYC.  We left the Detroit station and it's wasn't long before water started to fill the aisle of the train car I was in.  We stopped in Toledo for several hours as we waited for another train and I learned that Toledo was the glass capital of the world Woman Wink

I was ignorant and didn't know that the train would stop frequently along the way. 

Suffice it to say, the first thing I did when I hit the train station in NYC was to visit the Amtrak window, hand over my credit card and say, I don't care what it costs, I need a sleeping car on the return trip Woman Very Happy

The ride home was a little bit better.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntGI've only ordered two "as is" and was satisfied. It can be a great way of saving money.

@Bird mamaBernie--I don't understand how people can sleep sitting up on trains, planes, etc. The sleeping car on the return for you was a good decision.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Oh I didn't sleep Jean @KonaKat   Woman Surprised  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I didn't mean that you slept. I just know that I've never been able to sleep sitting up and wonder how other people do it. I see people get on a plane, put seat back and are napping before the plane even takes off. I know people who sleep in a car as a passenger, etc. I guess I'm too sensitive to any noise, movement, etc. Those white noise machines that people use to lull them to sleep keep me awake. I've tried several patterns and all I do is wait for the next more intense sounding pattern.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Jean.  I don't think I could have handled working after only two hours of sleep, but maybe if I was going on nervous energy.  Glad the students were great.  No TSV for me either.  If I didn't already have gold hoops, I might be interested in the "wheat" version.  But, I have other styles that will work fine and cost me nothing to wear.

Interesting about the possible train trip.  As you may remember, I took a Road Scholar trip last Fall that was focused on trains and involved a train trip from Sacramento to Reno.  I enjoyed it very much.  But, I know that some train trips can be less fun like the one my DD took to New Orleans with a girlfriend years ago.  It was during the warmer months, but the train was freezing.  They were not comfortable.

Hope you like your SG TSV @Auntg.  I didn't order, but considered the one you ordered or the tweed one.  

Have a nice visit with your DD, Marijane.  I guess she is a Yankees fan as well.  Does she like living in Vermont?  My ex and I vacationed there several times and really enjoyed it.

You certainly had an adventure on that train, Bernie.  Good idea to take a different type of train on the way home.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  I am back from my exercise and chair yoga classes -- my body really felt it today.  I had taken three classes, and then there was no class for three weeks.  The teacher/leader doesn't do the same exercises every time, but they are always a challenge.

It will be another hot day here (100 plus), but they did not call it an excessive heat day.  It was pretty hot on my walk this morning despite me going early.  At least there was a little breeze.

The caregivers group yesterday was interesting -- a couple of guys came.  One of the guys was extremely upset and could hardly sit still.  He is very upset that his wife (former teacher and school principal) is suffering from dementia, and he really doesn't want to be a caregiver.  He left early to see a therapist, and I'm hoping she can help him.  The other man was much calmer and receptive to talking and listening.  Three of us went for coffee after the meeting, and that was nice.

I finally got an appointment to have the ultrasound done for my varicose veins -- mid September.  The doctor wanted me to have this done two weeks or so after my visit with him which was on July 12th.  Yikes!  Since there is so much of a delay, he will see me after the ultrasound rather than waiting for another appointment.  

I'll be headed to the grocery store in a little while.  Nothing else planned for the day.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Linda--I'm glad you got the appointment for the ultrasound for the varicose veins. Waiting for those delayed appointments can be difficult but time will pass quickly. The caregiver's group sounds as if it can be challenging at times. 

I am considering this for the Fall and Fall colors: The music on this so relaxing in fhis aerial view of the Cass Mountain Railroad which takes you to Bald Knob, the 3rd highest point in WV and allows views into two states.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJYukzIuUQ