Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME(FRIDAY, 1/2)

Susan--One way to add to the tracking of expenses, which I have not done, is to tag each one with some symbol about how you felt about the purchase once you received and used it. That can be as simple as a + for good and a - for negative. One goal would be to eliminate the purchases that result in a negative. I have a basic hair style as I don't like to take forever to style it.

The bill for the heart monitoring just hit the Humana website, so time will tell. The amount charged was $4,700 for the 3 weeks of 24/7 monitoring. Two weeks to go. Having health issues is a definite motivator when it comes to watching expenditures.

I had a salad for lunch, and now I think it is time for a Kindle break. Too much CNN.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

LL, Sorry to hear about issues with your DH's memory again. I am so glad that his family is with him right now.

Sydsgma, It is nice to see you posting again. DH & I love to travel so that is what we spend most of our money on--except for the new vehicle we bought in November. We were hoping to go to Aruba in March for our 45th wedding anniv. until I found out that it is an 8 hour trip. We do like Riviera Maya & Jamaica so maybe something will come up soon.

Susan, My haircut is very easy to take care of & just a little spikey. I am chicken to get a real spiked job. There is a gal that works at my mom's eye clinic that has lovely red hair & a very spikey hairdo. It always looks nice. I like something that I can leave the house quickly in case my DH says "let's go away for the day."LOL.

Marijane, My mom's eyes are still doing very poorly. Yesterday when I spoke with her she said that she couldn't see if there was anything in the bottles or not. She uses 2 different drops in each eye so still a total of 4 drops every 4 hours. She won't let me help her with the eye drops so we will see how she is when I take her back to her eye Dr. later this month. She is very independent so my DH & I pray for the best. She knows that I was exhausted & doesn't want to get me worn down again & sick. So far DH & I have been healthy but there are lots of sick people around us. I am hoping that when we get a real cold spell next week that the germs will die off.

Jean, You are so right about health issues being very expensive. My health issues take priority in our lives. DH is good about it as we know that things were at one time much worse.

Esteemed Contributor

sydsgma--May you have a wonderful new year in your southwestern home. I am sure as much as you enjoyed being away that you also enjoyed getting home. Enjoy your jjill items and travel, something I enjoy also.

Twinny--Is that a non-stop to Aruba from your state? If not, perhaps you can break it up by a stop over. Don't give up the dreams. The non-stop from Chicago to Hawaii is about 9 hours but it is made easier by getting up frequently and walking the plane.

Marijane--Hope you don't get the bad weather. Isn't it amazing how the rumors of bad weather can pack the stores and empty the shelves? Hope DH feels better.

The update on the shootings of the policemen involved in a traffic stop is that the shooting were done by a father and son from Alvin, Texas near Houston. They will be charged with murder of the of the senior couple as well as attempted murder of the policemen. Apparently, they set the NC couple's home on fire and then stole the vehicle which was later stopped. Who knows why such a random act of violence happened?

I received the $80 Vera Bradley bag I got for $25 from VB on eBay. Arlene, you missed a super good buy. It was likely a closeout of a discontinued pattern but the price and quality are super.

I also received the IM ceramic watch, which is also a keeper. I guess my Christmas is now officially over. Now, to be very good for a period of time.

Oh my! I was watching the news and saw a picture of snow in Tuscon, Arizona. Br-r-r-r!

I haven't seen Kathleen here or on Facebook lately. I do hope all is well.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

This is a weird day - feels like a Sunday, especially since it seems like Friday was only two days ago. It's pouring out, with more of the same forecast for the next two days. I woke up with a sore throat so went back to bed; I'm going to just relax for the rest of the day.

Unbroken was a wonderful movie; it's amazing how resilient the human spirit can be. We went to a matinee, so the price wasn't too terrible - $7.25, I really don't like to spend $10 or more for a movie, not when I can see a live stage production for just a few dollars more. Afterwards we went to The Mongolian Grill, which is my new favorite place, although my friend embarrassed me by saying some none-too-nice things about Chinese people...and with a table of them right next to us. {#emotions_dlg.mad} I do like this woman, except for the fact that I think she's very prejudiced against certain ethnic groups. She says she isn't, but her words prove otherwise.

Anyway, at this restaurant you fill up two bowls with food - one for meats/proteins and one with veggies, then pick a sauce from about 20 different kinds. The selection is wonderful, and when you turn your bowls over to the cook you choose from a selection of starches - different kids of rice, noodles, etc. The food is always more than enough for me, so I have leftovers for lunch today. There were two young men there with pants around their knees, and they heaped their bowls over a foot high; they were charged extra, but I was afraid they'd start trouble over that, what with so many things going on. Fortunately, they just paid and didn't say anything.

I haven't heard about that shooting in WV, but then again, I'm just getting moving for the day and haven't checked the news yet. There's a Walgreen's on my town's main street, just a mile from my home, and a young man of 21 went in there yesterday, pretended to have a gun in his pocket (he had his hand in there and pointed his finger), and told the druggist that unless he was given certain drugs within 45 seconds, he would kill the druggist, the store employees, the customers, and then himself. The fool put on a mask - after he made his threats! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} He was apprehended and arrested within minutes.

Our town is having a "Turn the Neighborhood Blue" in support of the local police (who are wonderful). The idea is to replace the bulb in your porch light with a blue on, to show support for the officers. The only downside is, it's been so popular that all the local stores (including Lowe's and Home Depot) are sold out of blue bulbs!

LindaL, do some research on colloidal gold for DH - it's been proven effective for improving cognitive functioning, and it's all natural. You can usually get it on Amazon.

I see my half-price Zevia has shipped and will be here tomorrow. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I now have several months' supply. My guess is an Amazon employee was changing prices, and typed in $11 instead of $21 by mistake, but I jumped on it.

Twinny, it's been a while since I got a haircut; my stylist is very good, so my hair grows out nicely. She's not cheap, but in the long run costs less than the cheapie chains where my hair looks like it needs to be redone after just a week or two. Hope you enjoy your new style.

Rosa, glad to hear you're doing so well. I know you're grateful DH lived to see your son married.

Jean, I know how well money can be frittered away! I learned my lesson on those SHQP Value Pays - they sure can add up! {#emotions_dlg.scared} I have only one monthly payment now, and that's for the new tablet. I'm going to see if I can't keep setting that money aside each month, because a payment on a used car wouldn't be all that much more if I made a decent down payment. I've been thinking about one for the last two years, but even more so since I rode in my friend's new Honda. That thing is amazing - it even has a screen that shows you what's behind you. I wouldn't get a brand new car even if I could afford it, though, since they depreciate so quickly as soon as you drive off the lot.

I guess I'll start thinking about lunch, then maybe just play with my new toys and read. Thankfully Angelica took to the Puppy Palace right away, so she's in there right now, snug and warm, and I don't have to watch her every second to keep her from destroying anything.

Have a blessed day, everyone!

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene--Sounds like you had a good outing yesterday. Yes, a new car depreciates a year the minute you drive it off the lot after purchase. You might want to keep looking and reading about the different cars before you let first impressions lead you astray. I do hope you enjoy your tablet; it is too bad you missed out on the great Vera Bradley bargains on eBay since they were new with tags for a ridiculously great price. On the other hand, thinking about saving for a new "used" car is a motivator for watching purchases.

Respected Contributor

Go ahead, Jean...rub it in! {#emotions_dlg.crying} I've wanted that Indigo Pop bag since I first saw it, and my favorite bear was going to use his allowance to buy it for my birthday. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, there is a non stop flight to Aruba from Madison (an hour away from us) but it is 8 hours. There is a flight from Madison to CHGO with layover & that is 8 hours. There is a flight from MKE (2 hours from us) with a layover in Charlotte NC that is 8 hours also. We don't like CHGO unless we absolutely have to fly there. 2 yrs. ago we flew from RKFD(1 hr. from us) nonstop 2 hours 10 min. going down & 2 1/2 hrs. coming back to Riviera Maya Mexico. We have several airports to choose from but the flight seems to be 8 hours no matter where we fly from. At least that is what the travel agent told me.

FHG, I have had the same stylist for probably 28 years. She is good & has never messed up my haircut.

DH is happy as we got the license plate renewal for our new vehicle in the mail today. Now he doesn't have to mess with the DMV on Monday. Yes new cars have so many options today, but they add greatly to the price. We did get heated seats & really enjoy them. It also has that backup thing which I think is mandatory now.

Marijane, Hope you are feeling better soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny, I have considered Aruba. There is a nonstop flight from Washington Dulles to Aruba that is under 7 hours. You could fly to Dulles and stay overnight to rest and then catch the nonstop the next day. I am my own travel agent and check out various ways of doing flights.
Esteemed Contributor

Twinny, I have considered Aruba. There is a nonstop flight from Washington Dulles to Aruba that is under 7 hours. You could fly to Dulles and stay overnight to rest and then catch the nonstop the next day. I am my own travel agent and check out various ways of doing flights.