Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDA, MAY 15)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  It is a lovely day here in Arizona -- cool enough that I can open windows and doors at the moment.  The weather forecasters are predicting a high of 90 degrees, so later everything will be closed and the AC will be doing its thing.

Yesterday, oldest DGS was told that his store (he is one of the managers) in Maryland would be opening up, and he needed to get things ready -- arrange for employees to return, have sanitation done, etc.  But, today things changed.  While the State said that stores (with proper precautions/procedures) could open, his county has stricter rules.  There have not been a done of virus cases/deaths in the area, it is a big problem in nursing homes, etc.

DD is a bit disappointed since hairdressers will not be allowed to open for at least two more weeks.

My area is opening up somewhat, but many businesses and customers are not ready do go back to normal at this point.  I'm taking a cautious approach due to my age, etc.

I forget whose husband was shocked about the grocery prices (Susan or Marijane?), but I have to admit the price rises have really gotten my attention.  Despite not buying things like meat or paper goods yesterday, I spent considerably more than usual.  This is a least a month of price increases at the grocery store. 

Since I have been collecting things (like peanut butter and toilet paper) for the food bank, I decided to drop things off there today.  I have a real problem with people going hungry.  This started from hearing stories of my Dad and family during the Depression.  There were four boys and a girl in his family, and my Aunt always talked about the difficulty she had getting her fair share with her hungry brothers.   

Hope everyone is feeling okay and your weather is okay as well. Have a nice day, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FRIDA, MAY 15)

[ Edited ]

Hello Ladies..a.beautiful day here too Linda,almost 80 degrees...I am hoping it will be a preview of the months to come.    It must have been Susan's DH Linda and the grocery prices....I do not take my DH with me when I go to the stores....sometimes he will run over and pick up an item or two for me but I rather go alone.      My salon is opening on May 20 Also dining outside, but no inside restaurants ,nail salons,gyms etc....they will come in phase 3 later in June.     I did have a call from my stylist, I was at the store, she will call back,  but I am aiming for end of June or early July.  I haven't had my hair cut,colored since Feb but I am not wanting to rush back in.  There will be a lot of restrictions....only 50% of their capacity,no waiting,plexiglas up..6 ft.between stations and no blow drying.  I will wait till all the kinks are ironed out. 

We have been getting severe weather alerts for downpours,wind and possible tornado....but right now it's great out....this weekend is suppose to be great too.

Not much else going on....have a nice weekend and stay safe......Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's in the 70's here so the A/C is on. We are to have severe storms this afternoon/evening with high winds and hail. YUK!!!  Looks like quite a few days of thunderstorms in the forecast for the next week.

I spent yesterday and today afternoons in the work room decluttering and rearraninging the holiday & craft supplies. I have a big stack of donations growing next to the pantry. I'm hoping that will happen in June. I had 2 jumbo garbage bags of "stuff". I was pleased that I was able to just let some stuff go and keep just a few things for my "replacement" items. I had a home decor business for 5 years after my job was eliminayed so half of the lower level was dedicated to supplies and product. I am finally getting it under control  and a much smaller footprint. YIPPEE!!!  My husband reminded me that he would like the entire work room to be for all of his tools,etc.(now that he has started woodworking, etc.) I told him that's phase#3 on my list. Eventually, it will all get done. At least this week, I found a pace that seems to work better for me and I only broke 1 nail and got 1 cut on my hand. LOL  Usually, I end up much worse with my lack of grace. ha ha!!!

I watched part of the Linea program late in the evening. I was so tempted but changed the channel so I would not hit the "order" button. ha ha!!!  We have been ordering out a few times a week to do our part with the restaurants so I really wanted to watch the budget. I agree that the most of the prices at the grocery store seem to have increased. My dil's dad found us 1 package of tp at the grocery store this week. I was so relieved. Another quest found! LOL  This is starting to be a scavenger hunt for some of the basics. I'm hoping this gets better before the end of the month.

We just have 1 or 2 retailers that are semi opening this coming week. Still no hair salons or barbers or inside seating at restaurants. I'll just be happy if the new masks I ordered fron SunJoe arrive soon and work better for me. I need a better compromise between the virus, my breathing and my allergic reaction to the mask itself. I always have these complications but it will be nice when it settles back to normal but safe.

Stay safe & comfy. Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, we have our windows open too.  I don't have the A/C on until it's 76° in the house.  Then it's on during the day with ceiling fans, but I don't like to have it on when we go to bed.  A/C never feels good to me.  In the hotter months, we sleep in the guest room in the basement.   Aaaah!  Is all I can say.  I don't know when our salons, bars and sit down restaurants will start to open up.  At least our town isn't like the Wild West yet.  There were 3 stores reopened, but nobody in them.  I am not ready to venture in either right now.  Several restaurants were doing a good business with their drive up curb service.

fressa, we cleaned & decluttered for an hour a day this week and got done yesterday. It looks so nice and orderly.  Hopefully it will stay that way for a long time.  We enjoy going to a drive thru restaurant too.  Breakfast, lunch or dinner.  We aren't fussy.  They have all been good.

Marijane, we usually grocery shop together.  It's faster and I don't have as much fatigue.  I have a list and tell my DH what he's in charge of.  We have 3 nice grocery stores all on the same road, just a few blocks away from each other, so it's very handy.  Usually we try to do two of them, but this week they all had a few good deals.

I took my moped downtown for my walk at 11.00.  It was a beautiful 69°, but the sun was getting warm so I was on the shady side of the street as much as possible.  I forgot to put on a pair of capris & had on a pair of slim leg long pants.  We had a thunderstorm last night and more rain for tomorrow & Sunday. Then 5 days of sunny warmer weather.  

After lunch, we enjoyed the hot tub.  Now I am enjoying myself while my DH is on the riding riding lawnmower.  

Hugs to all of you.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Linda - Thank you for starting us today.  We had a day that was warm enough for us to open all the windows.  Of course now it is raining and very windy.  Sorry it is not working out for your DGS about opening up the store.  Not sure when our hairdressers are opening.  I am begining to resemble a skunk with my grey streak showing.  

We just took a couple bags of food to the food bank yesterday.  I feel no one should go hungry in this country. 

Maryjane -  My DH is one of the few men who will go grocery shopping.  But, don't think you will dilly dally in the store.  

Fressa - TP is showing up here more and more, but don't think you will find Lysol wipes.

Twinny - We have been going to a local Deli type resturant.  We decided to use our stimlus money on the local stores and resturant around here.  We are now in the yellow and some things are opening, but we are going to wait a couple weeks before we decide to venture out to more than the grocery store or the pharmacy.

Well got to go get the clothes out of the dryer.  Have a good evening everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Susan.    That's why my dh doesn't go to any kind of shopping with me..( no dilly dally)....he is in out in a nanosecond . He could go to the Mall of AMERICA To get a pair of socks....he will go in 

go to the sock dept....buy a pair and back out the door.....no stopping,looking for anything else....not me....I like to look...even if it's only food!   So that's why he doesn't come!      I think your crummy weather will be moving my way in a few hours.

Trusted Contributor

Marijane - Your DH and my DH should shop together.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. Yes, grocery prices are increasing. I will be making a trip to the city to use the Walmart grocery pick up. I am very satisfied with it. I even included fruit on the last order and whoever prepared my order did a great job of selecting the fruit.

We finally have a resident of our county identified as having Covid-19. The individual work in a non-patient contact part of the local hospital. The individual had no symptoms but was identiied through the hospital's routine check of its employees. Some of us have always wondered how many were in the county with it but who had no symptoms so they didn't get tested.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.