Respected Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (FAREWELL, 2016 DAY)

Hi girls!  

Just checking in to say Happy New Year - hope you're all doing well.  I can't believe the year is over already - time is really flying by!  

I've been trying to spend less time on the computer, but even so I can't seem to keep up with everything. Classes start again in two weeks, so time will be even more limited.  This week I'm just vegetating - the last week of the year is always so "nothing."

I've been good about not buying all kinds of new clothing, although I did pick up a few tops at Goody's the week before Christmas.  I guess I got caught up in holiday depression, and needed a pick-me-up.  I got a London Fog purse for $22 - almost $100 off - because they had forgotten to take down a doorbuster sign.  There's also a new store (southern chain, I think) called Dirt Cheap, that buys closeouts, etc.  I got a really cute purse in there for $8...then saw the identical purse (same brand) on sale on the Kohl's website for $98, regular price $129!  If one opens near you, be warned you'll have to wade through lots of junk, but there are treasures to be found.  Cat Very Happy

I try to avoid the nearest Walmart, as it's not only always overcrowded and not well kept, but it's on a bus route that brings in all sorts of undesirables.  A guy wanted for murder was apprehended there a few months ago, and I was just reading that there was a shooting in the store earlier today.  Yikes!  A neighbor's nephew was shot in the face and killed by his FIL yesterday in his home (he was going through a divorce); looks like the year ended on a bad note for many.

I've been purging as well, and listing things on eBay - including a bunch of purses that I don't know why I bought in the first place.  They now let you list up to 50 items a month with no insertion fees; I guess business was dropping because the fees got outrageous. With so many people listing things to sell, few items sell the first, second, or even third time around, and those listing and re-listing fees really added up.  The last time I was selling - about 10  years ago - I made around $500 in my last month, and over $400 went for fees.  Cat Surprised Needless to say, that was the end of it for me.  Anyway, on those 50 items you don't pay a fee until they sell.

So, I'm through with shopping for at least a month, except for milk, fruits, and veggies. I do have to return a pair of PJs to Walmart - they're really cute, but I put them on last night and the pants are defective - they're cut so low they fall about 4" below my waist.  

LindaL, I'm glad to hear DH is doing well.  

Twinny, it sounds like you have the best plans for tonight!  I never go out on New Year's Eve, but I'll probably have a low-calorie pina colada: A Bai pineapple coconut drink with a splash of rum.

Well, it's an icky, rainy day - I'm going to sit in my nice warm bed with a cozy mystery and a coloring book.

Hope you all have a happy & blessed new year! 

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

Arlene, it's so good to see a post from you.  Happy New Year girl :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hugs to everyone IMG_2857.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Arlene, it is good to hear from you.  I was thinking of you a couple of weeks ago.  I had a $10 coupon from DSW & couldn't find anything as I bought a pair of tall boots the week before. As I was approaching the checkouts, there was a "Portable Color Me Happy Coloring Kit.  It was $15.95, 1/2 price & the sales lady said that I owed her 1¢.  So, I will be coloring myself HAPPY real soon.  The kit has 70 templates to color, 5 twistable crayons & 4 double sided colored pencils.

We are back from dinner out & sat next to one of my classmates.  They live in TN most of the time, & also own a condo just a few blocks from our house.

After taking a long nap, I am patiently waiting for our midnight hot tub/wine cooler fun.

Wishing you all a Happy Healthy New Year!