Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (CHRISTMAS EVE 2017)

Good morning everyone!  Jean - thanks for getting us started today.  I'm glad you get time off from work now and have some yummy fudge to eat.  Sorry to hear about Michelle passing away.  meallen - hope you enjoy your holidays as well.  Susan - hope you have a good time at your DH's son's house tonight!  Bernie - Your mother was right.  I often think in my mind that "none of us knows the hours of our days" - and try to leave no doubt in my loved-one's minds just how I feel about them.  I love the way you talk about your sister and take care of her.  I love my 2 sisters as well, and we can chatter away too.  Sorry to hear that you have a cold.  And alas, as a southern CA girl who has never lived in the snow, I have to admit that I would be even worse than your niece driving in it.  Though I can change a tire if needed.  Sydsgma - may you have a blessed and peaceful day as well.  Linda - sorry to hear that you also have a cold.  I hope that you and your DH have a nice visit today.  Continued (((hugs))) coming your way.

It's cool and a little overcast today but still no rain.  On Friday my DD and I bought all of our cookie making ingredients and then took them to my Mom's house to make cookies.  She was gone for much of the time because she had forgotten about our plans and had made a hair appointment.  My Mom also exclaimed how surprised she was to hear that my DH had two half-siblings that she had never heard about.  (She's known about their existence for decades - but she is growing increasingly forgetful).  Anyway, we made fudge, white chocolate party mix, fudgy bonbon cookies, Spritz cookies, and Butterball cookies.  We picked up fast food for dinner because it had been a long day.  

Saturday I got off to a slow start.  Just feeling a bit tired.  When we finally got moving, my DD, DS and I went grocery shopping and delivered everything to my Mom's house.  (Thanksgiving food shopping with my Mom took 2 1/2 hours, and only about 30 minutes by us doing it without her)  I had also made a DVD of Christmas music that I thought my Mom would enjoy, with clips from old shows like Andy Williams and Bing Crosby, as well as some newer music from the CMT Country Christmas Special.  She had mentioned how much she liked that country music show and wished there was more like that around.  So I recorded 4 hours of programming that I thought she'd like.  My DD had to re-teach my Mom how to use her DVD player, but she seemed really happy to watch it once she had it figured out.

My Mom was really happy to see her grandson again so we stayed and visited with her for a while.  Then the kids and I ran errands because my DS hadn't done any Christmas shopping.  The stores weren't as crowded as I had feared and we actually had fun.  In the evening we went out for Chinese food then drove around and looked at Christmas lights.  After that, the kids and I played some board games and wrapped Christmas gifts.  Fun time.

In a bit we're going to be heading for church.  In the afternoon we'll head back to my Mom's house for Christmas Eve.  Like another poster, we'll keep it simple by getting pizza for dinner.  Then we open our gifts.  My family is in the minority that has always opened presents Christmas Eve rather than Christmas morning.  

I think I just wrote a novel, lol.  I really do wish you all a blessed day!  ~  Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Charlene--The DVD sounds like a great idea for your mother, and  hopefully she will remember how to operate the DVD player. Getting older has it moments of frustration. Your family is not alone on opening presents on Christmas Eve. Ours did also, and there were no elaborate dinner preparations.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Oh geez.... you know I love my westerns right?   I was watching Wagon Train and a weather alert just scrolled across the screen - winter storm warning for 3 major counties.  I'm in one of them, driving into another one of them.  5-7 inches, sketchy driving conditions, through midnight.

My niece is cooking for me and my sister.  Her inlaws are staying at their own house tonight because their daughter, SIL and grandson came in from D.C. for the week.  

Hope it ain't like this later on (especially)

Image result for car sliding gif

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--5 to 7inches? If that happened here, they would be warning people to stay off the roads unless an emergency.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KonaKat  This child has wanted to live in the general vicinity of where she bought the house since she went to college.  She's wanted a house of her choosing (she moved into her DH's when they married) for so many years.  Her Ma didn't live to see it (well, not from an earthly plane).  I can't NOT go.

I'm pretty good at driving in inclement weather - just have to watch out for the other people on the road.

I've never been before and as soon as Mary gets here we are leaving in daylight (thank you God).  I've got it mapped 3 different ways.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Jean, up here in the north country, it would be over 12 inches before any body has issues...lol..I drove to school in blizzards because the administrators always had to come in.

now, in Phoenix, a little rain creates chaos. 

Esteemed Contributor

We  finally got 2" of snow this morning.  .

Christmas was wonderful here yesterday.    The  food was a hit & I am now a   Dooney girl.  My dd got me a beautiful zebra tan crossover bag.  The dgc & our niece & nephews are nice young adults.  They were easy to entertain.

My   BF & her DH are mourning their bill.  He had a massive heart attack & died very suddenly yesterday  morning.

Our church program was nice this morning.  We are going to one of my bil's tomorrow for lunch.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for all of your good wishes and prayers.  

One of our neighbors invited me to Christmas Eve Dinner a couple of weeks ago, but she did not give me a time as she promised.  And, I didn't hear from her again until this morning.  Yesterday afternoon, a different neighbor invited me to Christmas dinner, and I accepted.  Since my cold is bothering me a lot, I decided that I didn't really want to go out to dinner today.  So, when the first neighbor called to ask me if I was coming tonight, I said that I was not since I was not feeling well.  That is true, but I could struggle through if I had more notice.  I still don't know when the dinner was scheduled.  The other neighbor asked me to bring dessert (another neighbor is also bringing dessert), so I have been busy cooking.  I did carefully wash my hands at each step, and I hope no one will catch this cold tomorrow.  I made a pecan pie and an apple cake.  Also made a banana bread for one of the caregivers at DH's place.  If he is not there today or tomorrow, I may go ahead and eat it myself.  LOL

Glad to see so many of you posting and sharing your Christmas plans.  Really hope you don't have any problems with the snow, etc., Bernie.  Good thing that I live in Arizona these days since I am just not a snow driver.  Several times in Maryland, I ended up walking long distances to take the bus and standing in the cold when we had bad weather, particularly ice.  I can't forget times when other drivers nearly ran into me when they lost control on the ice.  And, one time, my car did a 180 on a hill.

While the TSV looks nice, I have decided to pass since I am not a fan of ankle pants, and these look short even for the regular length.  I wear IM ankle pants, but they are full length for me.  I hope anyone who orders likes them very much.

Have a nice evening everyone, and Merry Christmas!

Hugs,

Linda

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama & Sydsgma, you bring a smile to my face today.  I remember back in 1971 when we had a brand new Dodge Charger & I wanted to go  to the grocery store.  I was the only Idiot there & I wasn't at all afraid.  Oh, I was driving a stick shift too.  My first & last stick shift car!

I always loved walking to school in snow up to my waist & almost a mile away.  I also treasured hours of ice skating & sledding.  

I don't remember Michelle, but my thoughts & prayers go out to her family & many others on this board that are struggling right now.

Esteemed Contributor

I confess to never liking snow; it is pretty but creates problems for me.

Today, I had nothing much to do but to try to make up for eating later this week. In addition, the cardiologist wanted me to aim for an hour of exercise a day. Today will make up for a day I will miss later this week. Is this the gift of better health? Or, is it "torture?" I actually haven't minded it.

Exercisedec24.JPG