Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (BLACK FRIDAY, NOV. 25)

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1

Some dogs take to travel, others do not.  I remember when Max was little - I kid you not I started him in a car at 8 weeks, lol - he would throw up in the back seat.  Once he got bigger and could actually see where he was going, the motion sickness went away.  Spottie would nearly hyperventilate, it broke my heart.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

That hyperventilating thing is kind of how mine is, it's pitiful. When hubby fell out of that tree and broke his back, well....after he healed up enough, every day I made him go with me and the dog for a short ride, it didn't help.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

If I ever HAVE to take her any distance, I will have to get medication from the vet, so she will sleep through it.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

Your dog reminds me of a cat.  Seeing a cat hyperventilate in a crate on the way to the vet is worse to me than when Spottie did it.  

Honored Contributor

When we adopted her, I think it was the fact that she obviously needed someone so badly that I just couldn't leave her there.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

That's how I got Spottie.  My paternal grandmother's dog (Snoopy) died and my grandma didn't want another dog.  Her handicapped son (MS) decided to get a puppy from his friend BS George.  Yea George was so full of BS we incorporated it into his nickname.  Grandma was old, my uncle was wheelchair bound.  In order to keep Spottie from getting run over with the wheelchair my uncles would swat at him with newspaper.  I'm talking like two pages of newspaper rolled up - nothing to hurt Spottie.

Grandma pretty much had it by the time Spottie was a year old - she told my Dad to take him to the local shelter.  Dad brought him home.  Ma had Benji and was not in the market for another dog.  I looked at Spottie - I was what, maybe 14, 15 and said, that dog is a nervous wreck, he and I will get along, lol.

He didn't know how to walk a flight of stairs and in the beginning wet the bed.  I never yelled, I became proficient with changing my bedding while I was half asleep.

By the time that dog crossed the rainbow bridge at 15 1/2 he feared nothing - well, except for the car ride and vet.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama, you are such a sweetheart! The pound had quite a few dogs at the time we went to look at adopting one. This little tiny dog was just absolutely terrified and shaking. I held her on my lap for a good 30-4- minutes till her heart stopped pounding like it was gonna come out her chest, and I told hubby, we have to take her, we can't leave her here. That was it. She was still scared to death, for 3 days she sat in a corner trembling, wouldn't eat or drink. I would put pieces of kibble in a trail just out of her reach to get her to come out of the corner, since I knew she had to be starving. She finally got so she didn't sit in the corner. We would put her in her cage when we left for work, well, that didn't work cause she would throw her little tiny body against that cage hard enough to move it across the kitchen floor till I was afraid she was going to hurt herself. From then on, she has had the run of the house. I just had many messes to clean up, till we got her trained. I am just an old softie where she is concerned. lol
Honored Contributor

Btw, hubby is an old softie too, where she is concerned. It was his bright idea to let her sleep in bed with us. He couldn't stand to hear her cry at night, lol.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1  You and your hubby are softies :-)

Since I was a kid, the broken or special ones and I have always gravitated to each other.  And the corker is, they find me - I don't even have to go looking.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama, especially the birds. I am in awe of that, I have to say. It's pretty incredible.