Honored Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (BLACK FRIDAY, NOV. 25)

Hello all and thanks for starting the thread this morning, @KonaKat. @Bird mama, @Genny1, @spix, @meallen616, sorry if I have missed anyone. Glad everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. We had a really nice dinner out with granddaughter, step-daughter and her boyfriend of many years. Food was excellent, conversation was lively and fun. I ate waay too much, came home and did nothing else, lol. Well, later on I did run some laundry, but that was it.

Took the dog for nail trim this morning, she was beside herself, so was glad hubby was along this trip. She seems to be getting more afraid every time. I feel sorry for her, but her nails were catching in the carpet and had to be trimmed.

No black Friday shopping for me, haven't turned on the shopping channels at all. I have done some internet shopping for hubby's Christmas and will soon be finished with that also. I try not to order anything past the fist few days of Dec., I know there will likely be shipping delays if ordering much past then, so I try to think ahead. If I order anything for myself, it doesn't matter if it's not here by Christmas day, so no big deal.

Unfortunately I still need to run to the store for a couple things, I expect any crowds to be gone by now though, so it should not be a hassle.

I also need to spend some time downstairs cleaning up the room where all the Christmas decor boxes were opened up and scattered everywhere. Was going to try a final round of leaf cleanup, but it's pretty chilly today, think it will be a bit warmer the next couple days, so will wait till then.

Enjoy your day. Waves.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

Jean, you make a valid point.  I checked out Amazon and the TSV is right there, lol. I tend to view Amazon ratings as more objective.  It's been my experience that some Q shoppers are crabby no matter what.

I think I will take a shot and order the black paisley.  Not suggesting $99 is chump change but I have spent as much or more on something more stupid.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--It has been my experience that Amazon reviews are more objective with reviewers tending to give both positives and negatives if both exist and Amazon purchases are more likely to review a product whereas (I may be wrong) that the Q purchasers who are satisfied may not take time to post a review. I know I don't.

I hate to say this but I changed my mind and the black paisley is also coming to me. You are correct that it is not small change but it is an investment in safety, etc. I'd rather have it than the duo pack dash cams being offered at HSN. I might have bought that if it were only one dash cam. Kind of makes me wonder about the quality if it is a BOGO type offer. Me thinks they might be trying to unload a warehouse full of these before an improved model is offered.

Snicks--I feel your pain when it comes to getting a pet's nails trimmed. I just had Midnight's trimmed while he was being boarded. Perhaps it isn't the trimming as much as the trip to and from the vet or whoever is doing the nail trimming.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

Jean, as women who work or have to travel any kind of distance to get someplace, I look an item like the TSV like a wise investment.  There is something in me at a cellular level (yea I'm blaming DNA) that has an aversion to feeling vulnerable, he he.  

Everyone that lives on my side of the street act as a wind barrier for the rest of the subdivision.  We're the wind breakers for everything that comes across the athletic fields of the two schools behind us.  At some point or another, we suffer a power outage.  It may not last for days, but it still happens.  

I can at least plug the TV or radio in to find out if I need to gather my flock and hide in the basement.  Or maybe the lamp for my old bird Poppi.  He is not crazy about the battery operated lanterns I've had to put in his room during power outages.

I took advantage of the easy pay.

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat, in my dog's case, I think it is the ride in the car, she hates that. Also once we got there, a big dog was there and she is scared of big dogs, ever since she was attacked by one. She has gotten over the trauma of the vet visit now though, lol
Honored Contributor

Regarding nail trimming on a dog..... My first dog Spottie was black and white and wouldn't you know it, black toenails.  Trying to find the quick on him was a nerve wracking experience.  I used the old school guillotine clippers once.  Never hurt the dog but had to lay down afterwards, I was emotionally spent, rofl.

The oster pet nail grinder (a glorified dremel tool) wasn't on the market at that time and taking Spottie Body (one of his upteen nicknames) to the vet from a grooming was something that made us both need to lay down afterwards.

By the time Max came around, he was basically a yard dog (not lots of walking on concrete).  So I bought the oster nail grinder and did his nails from puppy on.  Since then dremel has even come out with a battery (4 AA's) nail grinder which I bought and use to do Graysons beak.

The key is the grit on the grinding bands.  In Grayson's case it's a particular grinding stone.

After going through what I did with Spottie, I got Max used to me touching his feet from a young age.  Doing it with the dremel was a dream.

Honored Contributor

When we first got our dog, we tried doing her nails, she panic-ed every time, no matter what we used, and we tried all the tools, I gave up, been taking her to the vet ever since, lol. I also do not go in with her. Everybody, including the dog, is better off that way, lol.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1

Oh I know about that.  I'd go in with Spottie because it was safer for the techs that way.  He was the only dog I ever knew that tried to climb up and sit on my shoulder like a flippen bird.  He was a medium sized dog and weighed nearly 60 pounds.  When that dog would sit in my lap facing me, he had a knack for clamping down on my collarbone with those nails of his.  I never got angry with him - there was unmitigated terror in his little face.

I got Spottie when he was a year old from a family member.  Dog had never been in a car before so he associated car rides with vet visits.  I was never able to get him to be calm even if we took rides around the block.

That's another thing I did different with Max.  We went lots of fun places in the car.

Trusted Contributor

IT looks like 3 black Halo's are gone.....I decided on one too..just in case, but we don't have a good track record as far as power goes...I remember the two back to back hurricanes Irene and Sandy a few years ago when we lost power over 7days each time....and during ice storms too...I don't expect them to keep my house functioning  but at least I will have some power.   Jean what kind of style sketchers are they....?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama, I tried getting her used to car rides that way, the last time, she was so afraid that she pee-ed on the floor mat, then sat in it with her head hanging down. I said then I would not make her go in the car, except for necessary trips to the vet. I feel so sorry for her every time. It's awful.