Esteemed Contributor

SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (BLACK FRIDAY, NOV. 25)

Good morning, shopping friends. I am not venturing out to the stores for Black Friday. I did that once just to see what it was like....and once was just enough to cure me of the desire to experience it again.

If I do any Black Friday shopping, it will be from the comfort of my chair; no endless driving in search of a parking place; no struggling with crowded stores; no waiting in line forever to check out. Bottom line is that I am more willing to pay a higher price later than to drive over an hour one way to experience this madness. If I shop I like to see it as pleasure and not a battle. For that reason, online shopping appeals to me.

I confess to buying the Halo TSV. In all my years of driving, I have never had a dead battery. What  hooked me on this was that possible use combined with using it to charge some household needs such as laptop, tablet, etc. for  hours when the electricity goes out. Usually once a year, I am faced with power outage of hours to a day. One year, in February it was a week. Having bought this thing, it is likely I will never have a need but time will tell. I am a sucker for gadgets.

I also bought the Sketchers TSV I saw in the Insider which is a TSV for late December. I like casual shoes with bungee cords.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely one day at a time...and enjoy all the leftovers!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLICS: ONE DAY AT A TIME (BLACK FRIDAY, NOV. 25)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Jean -  Thank you for starting us today.  I am tempted at the TSV, but I don't think I will ever use it.  We don't loose our power here for very long, and I have AAA it there is a car problem.   I think I just want some cool do dad.  Went grocery shopping this morning, the store was very empty people wise.   I will head out later this afternoon to see if anything catches my eye.  They were showing a toy store nearby us this morning on the news channel and it was empty.  Okay saw 3 shoppers walk by them as they talking. 

Not much going on here today, a little cleaning and maybe some shopping.  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I did not read themthread from yesterday yet. 

Have a good morning everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--I decided that if I had lived somewhat successfully without the TSV then I didn't really need it. As a result, I cancelled it. There may be something on which that money can be used which might be more cost effective. It has been some time since I have ventured out on a Black Friday so I have no idea how it is progressing in the city. Perhaps all the pre-Black Friday sales as well as the Internet has cut into B&M sales.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies...thanks for starting Jean.  HOpe everyone had a wonderful day yesterday.  I have never went out on Black Friday nor do I ever intend to.....for the past few years Imhave done just about all my Christmas shopping on line,even toys for GS,most places have free shipping and if not its worth the extra cost to me than standing in lines,finding a parking spot etc.  My kids give me a lists and I just go to the websites.

I am thinking of the s/v too Jean as we do have power outages...just one this past Tuesday in fact for several hours.  I do have a small Halo one from years  ago that I keep charged up for my iPad. I also like the Sketchers shoes so will have you keep my eye out for them. I had gotten a few pairs of boots on Zulily several weeks ago.

Since my kids are still here for a few days I will have them bring up all my Christmas decos from the basement and just put the boxes ,bins on the LR floor so that I can start putting them up when the mood strikes me, I decorate lot so it does take me a long time.

HOpefully we will get our tree in a week or so. 

NOt much else happening here,it's a nice sunny day and not hoo chilly.  Have a nice day everyone.........Marijane

Respected Contributor

Morning, Thanx @KonaKat for the start, I Have never gone out for Black Friday, my girls do it every year, they plan their trip & do score some good deals. I too prefer online shopping.

@PAlady, I'm thinking about heading to the grocery store, hoping it'll be empty, there are a few really good sales I want to pick up

@Genny1, I used to do lots of decorating, now it's minimal, gave all the "stuff" to the kids, they enjoy it so that makes me happy

The tsv will not be coming to me, don't think I'd ever need it, years ago we lost power often, now hardly ever so I'll pass on it.

But the Sketchers shoes are calling my name, am pondering on that one.

Have to keep getting all the Thanksgiving things put away, table cloth in the washer now (Christmas one on the table ready to be pressed) & most of the pans, pots, dishes, have been put away so I'm in good shape.

Waves & Hugs to All

Essie

Honored Contributor

Good Afternoon everyone, after I read the @KonaKat  was thinking about ordering the TSV (I know she later cancelled), I watched just part of the presentation video online with David.  Seeing Sarah jumpstart the SUV with no issues makes me want to order this thing.  I like the black paisley option.

It's not bragging on my part, trust me - I have experience changing tires on the side of road and experience jump starting cars.  Many times I've jumped other peoples cars.

The public garage where I park will offer a jump to employees, providing your car dies before 5pm. 

I had an experience this past January with my Camaro at that garage. My sister had been in her first car accident of her life and I gave her my Nissan to drive while her car was being repaired.  Because I was an idiot and underestimated sub zero temps impacts to a 17 year old starter, I drove my Camaro to work - which started beautifully in my attached garage at home.  I parked Cricket (the car's name) on the top floor (no cover) of the public garage.  I got out of work after 6pm, it was dark, I was one of the last cars in the garage at that time of day.  I went to start Cricket and nothing.  Now, it ended up being a sticky starter and the Halo wouldn't have helped that.

What the Halo would have done for me is this.  Because no one was around to try to lend me a jump - I called roadside assistance which took a long time.  Guy came out, tried to jump the car, told me it's your starter.  He left and I had to call roadside assistance for a tow.  I didn't get home that night with my car until after 10 am.  I was chilled to the bone that night.  Incidentally, once Cricket spent the night in my attached garage, she started like a charm the next day.

If I would have had the Halo, I would have been able to skip the first guy and go straight for the tow.  

I'm telling you, I've driven some death traps in my life and had to finagle the air intake and choke on a 69 mustang (when I was in high school) and drive with gallons of water for the failing cooling system on the 71 dodge polara (also in high school).

There is nothing like that sinking feeling when you're along the riverfront in the city and you turn the car key and nothing happens.  Especially when you take care of your cars like I do, rofl.  I was devastated.  And to add insult to injury, the height of the garage entrance was too low to allow a tow truck with the flatbed in.  My Cricket had to be towed (rear end in the air) up I-75 in the snow, like some cheap wreck, ha ha ha.

Yea I think I just may order this TSV.

I'm holding strong with shopping - except for a clearance price bracelet from HSN.  I took advantage of flex pay in case the bracelet doesn't work out.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi ladies, on Black Friday,

Image result for black friday shopping quotes

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

meallen--Love the graphic; very, very true!!

Marijane--The Sketchers TSV is December 23.

Bernie--You made a strong case for the TSV based upon personal experience. I live in the boonies and there is a huge stretch of a dead zone between my town and the city. Second thoughts?

Essie--I ordered the Sketchers in a gray. Have fun putting away the decorations to make room for the Christmas one.

Honored Contributor

I'm slowing my roll on the TSV, lol.  When I pull up all items with Halo in the name, it looks like the TSV has 4 reviews and a rating of 3 outta 5.  Mediocre rating to me.  I posted a question about the reviews in the Customer Care forum.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I checked the reviews on the Halo TSV on Amazon where two sellers have it. The reviews on these two listings are all 5 star and reviews of the previoius version run around 4 out of 5. I have bought things that worked great but the reviews were bad to average. For this reason, I always check reviews at Amazon if the item or comparable item is available.