Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLIC FRIENDS ODAT TUESDAY!

Bird Mama, I can remember when I would set the alarm clock & get up in the middle of the night to watch D & Co.  Now it only excites me when I can get to the outlet store & try things on.  I have noticed the last two years that the D & Co. & SG fabrics have gotten much thinner & hang like wrinkled rags on the clothes hangers.

FHG, It must be hard on your dogs when it is so hot & they love to ride in your car.  That is one of the reasons that I love to get on my moped.  There is never heat build up in it.  You did very good with your Sam's coupons & getting a nice supper out last night by yourself.  As far as the insurance goes on those 3 destroyed cars, I don't know if they are covered or not.  The lady talked on TV last night & said that they had lots of things planned using all 3 cars this week.  If this heat continues through August, I will be so ready for fall & yes SNOW.  It is hard to take more off when I only have on shorts & a short sleeved knit top.  I don't like to wear shorts to the store, but if it hits 100 degrees for the heat index I won't care.  

Honored Contributor

Charlene - it's great that your kids are enjoying Florence.  It was only a matter of time before one of them got on the other's nerves.  That's what being family is all about :-)

Twinny - the skies opened and we got rain.  The drops were fat to the point folks in the building wondered if it was hail.  It rained from the left, then from the right.  We needed a decent rain, the plant life was starting to suffer a little.  Have a great time on your mini vacation :-)

Jean - I think I saw that movie only once and it made an impression on me.  When I drove to my sister's property in God's country (no cell service) up north by myself in 2008, I would think - go fast and get it over with.  Then I thought, uh oh, what if the law pulls me over.  Then every once in a while I'd swear I heard Suuuuuueeeeey (rofl).  I was driving DH's Camaro at the time and thought, Jesus, you look like a city slicker Bernie.

LindaL - for the most part, it's been my experience that exercise gets dull when it's repetitious (like the laps).  I am so bummed out for you because it sounded like you really enjoyed Curves.  I post with a lady in the monthly Birds Nest and Back Fence threads who likes to go to Curves too.

Hi Barbara

Susan, the rain we are having is supposed to give way to low humidity cooler weather (for one or two days).  I'm hoping to open all the windows when I get home from work.  I prefer fresh air.

Snicks - I'm glad the tooth didn't put up a fight.  Did you get any stitches?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Gayle, You will never be a Debbie Downer to me as I have my own struggles.  DH & I do the best that we can with my mom, but her stubborness gets us down at times too.  She wants no help for anything but her walking is very shaky & her eyesight is very poor.  What are you getting done on your house?  Take care & be good to yourself.

Marijane, our mini trip is about 3 hours away.  I suffer in the heat so I don't ever complain until we get temps that are 20 below zero or worse.  Enjoy the rain  as it made my tomato plants really grow & my flowers are doing good as well.  We got just a little rain yesterday but they are calling for TS tonight.  

Esteemed Contributor

It is getting very dark outside with a severe storm to the west of us and moving toward our way. I'm watching the news now and they are doing the warnings about what steps to take to avoid damage. This is really getting old.

I did post a photo on Facebook which was taken yesterday at the Olive Garden following the procedure. I was late as a patient before me took more time than expected so I arrived in recovery at the time I was to meet my cousin. I grabbed my cell to alert her but she was running a little late also so she only had to wait 15 minutes for me after she arrived.

I didn't take time to do much with my hair following the procedure but I'm wearing a top from Denim & Co.  I've had it for two years. I do agree that prices are getting high. Sometimes it is the same quality as Kohls and sometimes it is better. I do know my D&C lasts longer than the nexpensive Kohls items.

I'm not complaining about the heat as we haven't had a Summer yet. This weekend, however, holds promise of hot temperatures. I never complain about the heat. Winter is another matter when the snow gets out of control and it seems the winters are increasingly worse each year for the past five years.

We all have our ups and downs. If we didn't have a down period, we would not appreciate the "up" period so much.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, Gayle.  May tomorrow be a better day.  

Glad your dental work is over snicks.  Hope you don't have much pain once the shots wear off.

Have a great mini vacation, twinny.  Sounds like fun.

I have not been doing much swimming, Marijane.  And, that is something I plan to do, especially now that I won't be going to Curves in the afternoons.  Unfortunately, afternoons this time of year tend to be stormy.  They make us leave the pool if there is lightening or thunder five miles away, and I really hate having to get out of the pool. LOL There is only one indoor pool -- not near where I live.  And, I have never been swimming there.  I guess I could try it some time.  I forget how nice it is to have these pools.

Interesting article about Curves, Jean.  I know that the owner of my Curves was a top notch individual, and most of the coaches (employees) were great.  There aren't any of those open all the time fitness places around here.  They do keep our community recreation fitness centers open quite a bit (I think 5:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. or so), but I don't think many seniors go out much at night (meaning past 8:00), and Curves was open from 5:30 - 7:00 most days.  So, I don't think that was the problem.  I blame the center owner since they would not negotiate on the rent, and it was very high.  The weird thing is that there are other buildings there that have been vacant for several years -- greed, but how does it work not to have anyone in the space rather than reduce the rent a bit?

They had a celebration of the Older American's Act at the lunch program today, and they served cake and ice cream, which was well-received by the seniors.

I will be off to the gym soon.  

Have a good evening everyone.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama,
No stitches, it came out easily, after all they said about how it could be hard to get out, I was pleasantly surprised. Dentist even said this morning that it might come out in pieces...go figure. lol. Have a nice evening and I hope your day tomorrow is fun.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I agree that greedy owners leasing spots, etc. are the major problem. There was a store in the mall that closed its doors and relocated to a strip mall because of the increase in the lease fee for the spot. They are doing very well in the new location. In the meantime, the mall spot remains empty as they can't attract a business to the high lease fee. I learned about this from my nail place who consider relocating to it but preferred their current lease fee at the mall as opposed to the new place.  It would have permitted them to expand but they felt the cost was not worth it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

I'm looping back one more time to say hi to those I missed.

Arlene - it's been a few years since I lived with a cat.  Wow, they don't even

make real cans anymore :-(

Marijane - I'm not really going on a trip.  It's a volunteer opportunity at Metro Youth Day on Belle Isle (an island off of the City of Detroit).  I have no idea what I will be doing with the kids.  I told them assign me where you need me.

Gayle - I'm sorry that you are having 'one of those days'. 

LindaL-  we had a few Curves around here that didn't seem to take off with the locals.  I don't know why - I never went in one to check it out.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie have a fun time with the kids tomorrow......( how old are the "kids")?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Marijane - I have no clue.  I guess it was about time I looked up the event.

Here is how it's described:

Metro Detroit Youth Day is an annual event which draws more than 37,000 youngsters and 1,600 volunteers. There are 320 organizational sponsors of this event, and more than 310 business sponsors. Sports celebrities and government officials address the attendees. Colloge Row featuring 14 universities are present to talk with the youngsters.Awards are given to outstanding community leaders who deal with youth. Youth will have a variety of games, contests, sports clinics, entertainment, a Metro Detroit Youth Day Youth Idol Contest, plus a free lunch at noon. The event is 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. We give out 65 college scholarships at the event and honor students for academic achievement and community service