Respected Contributor

SHOPAHOLIC FRIENDS ODAT SUNDAY!

Good morning ladies, just checking in. Using my "new" laptop - having only ever used a laptop on vacation - it is a new experience for me.

It was nice to wake up with Beloved and know I don't have to rush home today. Just realized it's time to go to church, and I really want to go check it out. Will be back later to check in. Hugs to all!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOPAHOLIC FRIENDS ODAT SUNDAY!

Kathleen--Thank you for starting the thread. You are on a new journey so enjoy to the fullest. I have used a laptop for a long time, along with a mini-laptop or netbook, and tablets. They are the greatest.

I tried to sign in earlier but when I entered my password, I was informed that it was a malicious attempt and wouldn't let me continue. Heaven forbid that I would attempt to destroy the QVC site.

I stayed up and watched Saturday Night Live because of Blake Shelton. During all that time, I went through drawers. I have one dresser in which memories are kept, including family things. I discovered photos from when I first went to Hawaii. Since I have since duplicated some of those photos, I discarded the ones except for the ones with people in them. I am very sure that even these are contained in the photo albums I made at that time. That was when I didn't think I would ever be returning. Ha!

I even found the ancestry search for my mother, one that I had forgotten. Needless to say, it was returned to its safe location. I have so much that has been handed down to me since I'm the last in the line except for the nieces. I plan to take some pictures, etc. and make copies and save to a file to give to them.

I was reading the capsule wardrobe thread. I basically wear the same type of clothes year round. As far as Project 333 or whatever it is called, my standby includes 7 pair of slacks Dream Jeannes and D&C in different colors plus 3 basic black and brown colors. I rotate these with the GS, D&C, and SG tops I have that are color coordinated with all these slacks or pants. I'm keeping this in mind as I eliminate items or purchase new items. As for Spring/Summer,

I can see myself buying two pair of the Dream Jeannes Crop pants this Spring as they really work well for me. These are the ones which don't have bling except for the little heart on the pocket. These, like the longer version, really wear well and are so comfortable.

I just showered and WEN'd my hair. My task today is to tackle all the beauty products and organize them in some manner. I'll likely keep only the sample sizes in an amount that will last two trips. I always keep the 2 oz. size of Purity bottle to pour in it the contents from that big 32 oz bottle which will not be purchased again.

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning! Thanks for getting us started Kathleen. How nice to be able to stay with your DH rather than driving back to another house. You are off to a new adventure, and I hope it is a very good one. Happy the "new lady" seems to be a good fit for your former office, and they gave you a nice send-off. I haven't had a desktop for years, but I know that DD has one. I think you will get used to the laptop with no problem.

Hi Jean. I was thinking about staying up to watch Blake, but I am trying not to watch TV for at least 30 minutes before trying to go to sleep, and I thought it would be difficult to stay up too late, especially since DH tends to go to bed at or before 10:00 p.m., and I need to read for a while before going to sleep. Nice that you were able to go through some pictures, etc. while watching. That is something I need to do for sure, but that sorting will need to wait until I finish many other sorting projects.

Happy to report that I did go through my bathroom cabinets yesterday, and there were many things to trash. I also managed to find things that I have been looking for, and determining the need/lack of need for some things. Now that I know what I have, I know what I need (mostly don't need) to buy. I have a tendency to want to have "back-ups of "back-ups". Pretty silly since the Wal-Mart is close by, and I usually can find plenty of mouthwash, etc. there. I did have a small number of sample/travel size items which I will keep for any future trips. I need to get out of the habit of keeping half-used travel size toiletries. I should either re-fill them or toss them since I never want to take the half-full items.

I did read those articles/links you included yesterday, and there were some good tips. However, I know that I will probably never get down to a small wardrobe. That doesn't mean that I need to keep as much excess as I do, and I am definitely working on that. I meant to mention that when I read your comments about washing items before donating that it brought to mind something a friend of mine told me about donations to the local thrift shop -- many people donate items that should really be trashed, and others donate clothing that isn't cleaned, etc. I can't imagine donating something that I haven't cleaned, but then again I am "old school". I have been known to skip ironing a donated item however.

Waves to Arlene, twinny (glad your Mom's vision is at least slightly better), Rosa, Marijane, LindaR, Gayle, Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

I plan to go to the gym after church, but not to my "regular" gym because it is being use for some sort of a "fair" today. I don't think DH will be joining me since he doesn't like the other gym. We will go for a walk later. We walked to the library yesterday, and it was since except it was pretty windy and cool on the way home. I think the wind should not be a problem today.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Good job on going through those items and deciding what should go. I agree that it seems ridiculous to save all those small sizes as back up or for travel when they can easily be purchased if needed. I think one organization tip says that if you have not used an item for a long time and it can be purchased again if really needed, then the item should go out. I thought of our tendency to acquire the small sizes when I saw QVC present its new beauty sampler kit. Knowing that these were all on hand made it easy to pass on that offer.

Regarding your comment about items, not up to use, being trashed once at the donation center, I saw that Good Will has a huge Waste Management container in which it puts boxes as well as items that no one would want to buy. I've seen some things dropped off that were yet to be taken inside by the staff; some was in very sad shape.

As to the effort done while watching SNL, one tip says that we should not focus upon doing any task in an hour that we cannot go through and then replace the "keepers" in that hour. Drawers are easy candidates for this task.

I still haven't started on a new system for organizing the beauty items I want to keep. The adult attention deficit disorder kicked in as I spotted some things elsewhere that I deemed good to go. I do have a 30 gallon trash bag ready to go, and another empty box being used to put items other than clothing which can go to donation.

I could check out at any time as can anyone. The question is do I want someone to come in and go through all this stuff....and most of it once the emotional ties are cut is just stuff.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Valued Contributor

Hi all! It's a lazy day for me. Today is sewing with a friend. Sometimes days with good friends is all I need! Of course hugs and kisses from hubby too!

Esteemed Contributor

Lori--we can all use a lazy day at times. Sharing a day with a friend is very important, and let's not forget DH!

I've slacked off myself this afternoon. I've been relaxing by watching "Untold Stories of the ER." I've always had a medical interest, so this is more interesting than kitchen gadgets. I'll do something later this evening but right now, it is relaxation time.

I see the US National Weather has issued a weather advisory for the Boston area which calls for a potential of a historic blizzard. I wish our Northeast friends a safe time during this weather challenge.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

I was almost finished with a post when it just vanished; this laptop is acting up.

It's a lovely day outside, but I have an exam to take and need to do some cleaning. After yesterday's "adventure" I was tired, went to lie down for "a few minutes," and ended up sleeping for about four hours! {#emotions_dlg.scared} Needless to say, nothing got done apart from a small homework assignment.

I did take the dogs for a ride yesterday; we went to the large shopping area as I wanted to return the stale cookies to The European Market. The owner wasn't happy, and said she could only give me store credit, which was fine - I just don't have money to waste on food that has to be trashed.

Anyway, I went to get out of the car quickly when we arrived at the store, pulling the door shut behind me, but I wasn't fast enough: Angelica got past me before I realized what was happening and was off and running! {#emotions_dlg.crying} Chasing her on foot was out of the question because of my knee, so I got in the car and drove around, calling her name. Once again that collar that's embroidered with her name and phone number proved to be a blessing - I got a call from someone who had caught her in less than 15 minutes. I met the man and his wife; Angelica was sitting on the guy's wife's lap in their car, looking very pleased with herself. Such a naughty girl! I think I might have to change her name...

I can't imagine getting by on 33 pieces of clothing - heck, I have more pair of PJs than that! Admittedly I have too much and do need to pare back some more, but I wouldn't want to go to the other extreme.

Jean, the woman who used to run the thrift shop that benefitted animal shelters used to work at Goodwill, and she told me that when they had too many donations and didn't feel like sorting through them, they'd just toss the boxes and bags in the dumpster! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} That's just one more reason I wouldn't give them the time of day.

Oh, tell me about some of the junk people donate, though. I used to help out at a church's clothing ministry, and I'll never forget one item in particular: it was a bright orange evening gown, made from a Vogue pattern (it had a label in it) but out of that spongy, embossed polyester. (This was in the 90s, so it was over 20 years old.) And the best part? A huge, black oil stain down the front! I don't know what that person who donated it was thinking - the poor don't need evening gowns (unless it was for a young girl's prom or something), and certainly not one that's so out of date and filthy! {#emotions_dlg.mad}

I guess I'd better get moving and start with the cleaning. Have a blessed day everyone - and happy birthday, Jules! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

I just lost my 2nd post. Our DS called us last evening & said they got about 7" of snow yesterday in the Boston area. He had been to a seminar all day so he & his wife decided to stay in a motel rather than risk an accident on the way home. He did say they expect a foot of snow Tuesday or more. He only works 4 miles from home & his wife can take the T to work so that is a good thing (if the T goes that day). I told him to keep the snow out there this time. We need snow but not that much at one time.

RC, I am wishing you good luck at your new job. It will be so nice when you & your DH are not going back & forth each weekend.

LL, It is amazing at how much space those sample sizes can take up. Good job at your decluttering & have fun at the gym today.

Jean, I have to key in my password & email address numerous times lately. Yes, like you are trying to hack into their system.

DH & I went to church this morning and ended up having lunch at DQ. It is sunny & nice now. The hot tub was refreshing today. We got a little snow overnight & maybe a little tonight again.

LoriMI, sometimes it is fun to have a lazy day with friends. I know you have been very busy with your bathroom remodeling project & having fun with your new car. Hugs & kisses from our DH's are an added bonus.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

FHG, I had 2 posts disappear on me today. Sorry to hear that your "angel" got away again. It is a good thing you found her so quickly. I like a daily nap, but it usually doesn't happen each day. Without a nap I am ready for bed at 9:00 p.m. & awake at around 1:00 a.m. My sleeping habits are terrible. DH can go to bed at 10:30 & not wake up until 8:30 the next day. ZZZZZZZ!

I couldn't use my new coffee pot yesterday. When I went to try it out, there was no filter & I had to purchase them. I went back to store where DH got the coffee pot from only to see the shelf was bare from that name brand. I was in a hurry so I went back after church today & they had replenished the shelf with them. The guy showed me which paper filter to buy. I am hoping I can find a mesh filter somewhere. I haven't used paper filters in over 10 years.

As I was in the middle of making a pot off coffee, my new RX company called to verify my new prescriptions. DH & I both had our Dr.'s fax some prescriptions on Thursday. Now we will have to see if they come in a timely fashion like our old RX's came. After having Frito Lay insurance & drug plans for 44 years, it was not a fun thing to have to get new plans. The coffee pot is done already.

Honored Contributor

Twinny2 - I know I am a couple of days early, however I don't often make it online during the workweek.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise