Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOCKER! SHANUS TRYING COLORS FALL/WINTER

[ Edited ]

Funny you should bring this up .  Just yesterday I was thinking about this same thing.

My closet is also a sea of black. I used to wear  pretty colors but stopped a few yrs ago. People think  I am in mourning.......lol

I used to see those little old , Italian ladies pass by my house all dressed in black and say to myself ,"I will never do that !"   I thought that is what  all the old Italian widows did. But maybe they wore black for reasons like I do.It always looks good,is always  appropriate, and easier all around...........lol

I remember when my DH died ,it was sooo hard for me to put on that black dress.I had never worn black before.

Now it is my staple,I wear it day in and day out because I love it and it is so easy to wash only 1 color.....lol......... Black has begun to infiltrate my Pj's and nightgowns now too..............lol

If I should happen to  put on a color,I feel too bright....( I have very light naturally blonde hair........lol)

Now I have become that old italian widow lady I used to see pass by my window ..........

(But that is not why I wear black all the time.I  just think I look better in it.....lol...  and I really dislike myself in prints,they overtake me..lol)

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Yes, my closet is a sea of black, white and grey. Yes, I enjoy the ease of dressing this way. Yes, I add pops of colors w/ accessories. So why a few pieces of clothing in colors? 

I dug out an older bright pink, cotton sweater when I met my friend for lunch yesterday. So many compliments from her, the waiter, the fellow at the gas station, grocery checkout guy...Admit I was loving the attention.

I went out to TJ Maxx last night and purchased a periwinkle blue sweater and one in a bright emerald green. I’m beginning slow and inexpensively, just in case. 

If color’s getting the OK, can prints be far behind?

Good for you ! Whenever I buy color it ends up hanging in my closet, I'm a color wuss , LOL.

@QVCkitty1  Same here. Hence starting w/ $30.99 for total investment...no cashmere or Nordstrom, not on sale, sweaters. 😏

@Shanus

I think there is no better wardrobe investment than a classic cashmere sweater in a color and style that is complimentary to you.

Enjoy your color journey!!!

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Funny you should bring this up .  Just yesterday I was thinking about this same thing.

My closet is also a sea of black. I used to wear  pretty colors but stopped a few yrs ago. People think  I am in mourning.......lol

I used to see those little old , Italian ladies pass by my house all dressed in black and say to myself ,"I will never do that !"   I thought that is what  all the old Italian widows did. But maybe they wore black for reasons like I do.It always looks good,is always  appropriate, and easier all around...........lol

I remember when my DH died ,it was sooo hard for me to put on that black dress.I had never worn black before.

Now it is my staple,I wear it day in and day out because I love it and it is so easy to wash only 1 color.....lol......... Black has begun to infiltrate my Pj's and nightgowns now too..............lol

If I should happen to  put on a color,I feel too bright....( I have very light naturally blonde hair........lol)

Now I have become that old italian widow lady I used to see pass by my window ..........

(But that is not why I wear black all the time.I  just think I look better in it.....lol...  and I really dislike myself in prints,they overtake me..lol)

@MalteseMomma  When I had my dark hair, the black and charcoal grey was balanced w/ my very fair skin. Since my hair is now white, I was beginning to feel “off balance”. I started wearing colored scarves, turquoise necklaces or pearl earrings to lighten/brighten the black near my face. It’s taken awhile to burst forward. Still love my black turtlenecks, tees and tops. Will never go hog wild w/ color.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Yes, my closet is a sea of black, white and grey. Yes, I enjoy the ease of dressing this way. Yes, I add pops of colors w/ accessories. So why a few pieces of clothing in colors? 

I dug out an older bright pink, cotton sweater when I met my friend for lunch yesterday. So many compliments from her, the waiter, the fellow at the gas station, grocery checkout guy...Admit I was loving the attention.

I went out to TJ Maxx last night and purchased a periwinkle blue sweater and one in a bright emerald green. I’m beginning slow and inexpensively, just in case. 

If color’s getting the OK, can prints be far behind?

Good for you ! Whenever I buy color it ends up hanging in my closet, I'm a color wuss , LOL.

@QVCkitty1  Same here. Hence starting w/ $30.99 for total investment...no cashmere or Nordstrom, not on sale, sweaters. 😏

@Shanus

I think there is no better wardrobe investment than a classic cashmere sweater in a color and style that is complimentary to you.

Enjoy your color journey!!!

@QueenDanceALot. Thanks for the vote of approval. I have several cashmere sweaters in black and grey, but will wait until feeling more comfortable with this shot of color before investing in cashmere.

Honored Contributor

Variety is the spice of life. It is a good way to become more flexible. When you think in a flexible way, life opens up to so many possibilities, and you grow as a person

Honored Contributor

Glad to hear you are stepping out!  Me?  Im just the opposite.  I have colors, prints, florals and I have to force myself to buy plain tops and plain colors.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I figured when DH brought home another fluorescent light ceiling fixture (mighty dark in closet when everything is black & grey) to install, it may be time re-evaluate. 

Regular Contributor

Isn’t it interesting how our style develops?  I always admire the easy elegance of my. “Neutral” friends, but when buying something that comes in a choice of colors, will pick the black last.

My closet and drawers are every color in the rainbow and while prints are a personal thing, I always see more that I love than I need or can afford. Whenever I settle for black and white or black and gray or the little black dress, I always feel that my imagination has failed me that day.😀

it sounds like you are dipping your toe in the water in a very smart way.  I have often read fashion columns that advise readers to pay attention to compliments.  Enjoy your color experiment!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@ItsME  Many of the prints seem overwheming on me. Plaids, uh no! One step at a time.

I agree that some can be overwhelming.  (I am also petite.)  And, I can't remember the last time I've had anything plaid!  I tend to prefer abstract prints and geometrics to florals.  But each print is different, and each one strikes me differently.  As for the colors, i'm drawn to jewel tones.  They make me happy, and I look best in them.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shanus   yes, nothing better than a  nice compliment to help us get out of our black, grey and white rut. 

I am like you.... reach for those same colors in my closet.  Occasionally I  step out of the box and wear COLOR. But, not often enough!

@SeaMaiden  Did find out during the trying on process, I can’t do pastels or that greenish yellow chartreuse. 

Same for me @Shanus.  There are colors I just can not wear...

Yellow for one( my blond husband looks so good in yellow!)   But on me yellow is just a no go!

Pinks OK depending on the pink....I love blue... all shades of blue....green depending on the green, but I really just do not like green...No bright red....but burgundy is good. 

Few prints....very picky on prints.