Honored Contributor

SHIRTS/SWEATERS LONGER IN BACK

So here's a style I really don't understand. Before the longer back was "in", many of my sweaters stretched out to look that way just from sitting on them! I gave those away. Now 5 years later, many tops are made that way. Go figure!! 

Respected Contributor

Re: SHIRTS/SWEATERS LONGER IN BACK

That's the way fashion goes.  Been that way for years.

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean.  The problem is if you have a big butt it just makes it look bigger (this is my opinion and I'm sticking with it).  I do have a big butt and a long mirror, so I know what I see!

Another problem is when this 'fashion' is in full gear, it's difficult to find clothes that aren't LONG or have LONG backs.  I've been complaining about tops that are LONG and made for people who wear tights (whatever they are called).  I have two knees who LOVE each other so they're always kissing!  I look terrible in those things and I know it. 

Contrary to what people are told, not everyone can and should wear those extra tight 'leggins' (as they are called).  I've seen women wearing them and the seams are actually opening from where they are so tight.  They have never heard that one is supposed to wear a longer top with them and it isn't a pretty sight.  

Well, I live in Va and it gets cold here in the winter so I guess a coat will cover up some of this.  I am not a believer that every woman can wear everything.  

Go ahead, start busting......

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus  

The longer back isn't such a new thing ... I just checked to see when I made my first sweater with the longer back ... November 2010 - from a Fall 2010 pattern book.  

The longer is a little more "main stream" now ... but it's been around in the knitting world about six years.  It takes a bit of time to get from the designer into the mainstream mass market.  Hand knitters don't have to wait for a manufacturer.

The look is far from a stretched out look ... the back is knit into that shape - not stretched into it..

Like anything else - it's a design feature.  You don't have to like every design that comes along.  Personally - I like this look and since 2010 have made several more with longer backs.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  You should move here to NE Ohio.  Big butts are very fashionable for the last couple years, and the trend has gotten "bigger"! Seriously,  (I don't subscribe to this at all) girls and older women alike tend to love the leggings.  The thinner ones often wear long tops to cover what really doesn't need covering, but the bigger the butt, the shorter the top they wear!  All the young girls at the gym, (who are already amply endowed in that area) are working hard to make it bigger!

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Contrary to what people are told, not everyone can and should wear those extra tight 'leggins' (as they are called). ............

.......... I am not a believer that every woman can wear everything.  

Go ahead, start busting......

@Annabellethecat66

No busting ... what you wrote is true.  A full length mirror is a woman's best friend!   

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I loved your post. So true and very funny. 😂

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA @2blonde Thanks for making me smile.  My friend and I often eat at a Chipolte's Restaurant.  It sits minutes from 2 high schools.  The kids come in and are appropriately dressed (just covered up, you know what I mean).

We watch them sit and laugh at the women who come in and the sights are unbelievable!  (You know what I mean about the front not covered in those things).  I've actually seen a few males (not young kids, they have more sense) wearing those "leggins".  Believe me, when you see that you wish you could 'unsee' it.

I don't want to hear anyone say, "Maybe that's all they can afford" (I've heard that).  The cost of a pair of pants isn't much more (if any more).  I honestly think they just don't care..... It only takes a minute, like some of you have said to look BEHIND you and in front to make sure everything is at least covered up.

Honored Contributor

ROTFLMAO

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Yes, I've often wondered if some people have no mirrors in their homes!

Laura loves cats!