Super Contributor

Re: SHELVES CLEARING IN DISCOUNT STORES

Shipments of goods from China (where most of what we buy is manufactured) have been much smaller since the virus. If you want something you better buy it ahead of time because things are selling out fast. The stores seemed to never have recovered from people hording some items. Now that it is fall you probably will have continued trouble finding household cleaners and anti bacterial products. We are buying the children's Christmas presents far ahead of time.

Honored Contributor

I think there’s a difference between hoarding and stocking a few extras. Most of our stores still have limits on amounts you can buy of the same item. Supplies of everything from basic food staples to cleaners are still hit and miss in our area. One week an item is in stock, the next it’s not. Just part of our reality right now. 

Respected Contributor

The only reason people ran out of things is because some people bought too much. It should be clear by now that the stores will be open. There is no need to hoard things. If everyone would buy what they need now and not what they will need for a year we'd all be good. Another issue I'm seeing is that people are buying up things they think are popular and selling them for much higher prices on amazon. This is not the end of the world no one needs to hoard anything. 

Respected Contributor

Inventory is just not there.  Items come into stock, but not as much and what they get sells out quickly.  Clark Howard was on the news yesterday talking about the upcoming holiday season.  That Black Friday sales will begin in October.  That if you wait until December to start your holiday shopping, you'll probably be out of luck.  Items just won't be there and if there are some that are left, it will be a lot more expensive.  My daughter (and husband) are big Lego fans.  Some new items have hit the store and they sell out within minutes.  If not in the know, you're out of luck.  Lego manager told me not as much stock coming into the store so what they have sells out and they don't know when or if they'll get more in.  It's just the times we're living in right now.  

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   If you know the brands you like for bath towels and the like, you might have luck by searching online at Boscov's, Belk, Bealls or Macys.  

If you find a color or pattern you like then you can do a quantity availability and price comparison.  And if you use a cash back option, like Rakuten, and any store promo code, you might wind up being a happy shopper.  

Shipping from these stores has been good in my recent experience with Macys being fastest and the others pretty close behind.

Croscill is one brand naame in bathroom and bedroom goods that popped into my head; another is Avanti.

In terms of the essentials I am concerned, too.  I am not hoarding but I am keeping one or two units ahead in what are, to me, essential items.  

None of us has any certainty concerning how autumn, winter, covid, flu, winter weather, and illness patterns are going to turn out and when, which might lead to shortages so I'm trying to be prudent aand proactive while staying within a budget.  

Plus, no car here so I can't chase down items from one retail store to the next and I've not taken public transportation (bus or Metro) since the current situation started.

Wishing you success in your search.  I hope you find some lovely things for your home that will make you smile.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435   Great suggestions. I have been doing some looking/purchasing online, but still like to venture out if possible. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   Understood.  I know that feeling of the walls closing in, plus seeing and touching the actual goods in a store rather than virtuall is definitely preferable.

Plus, you are goimg through the angst of major home renovations and that is never fun while you are in their midst.

Again, hope you find all to your liking when the work is completed and that you locate the perfect new home accessories.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Every fall I stock up on cold & flu medication, along with tissues and toweling. I suppose supplies will be limited as others do the same as me. 

Honored Contributor

Rants on these boards have flown for months about QVC's delays in shipping.  Now perhaps people will see that they're not the only ones having problems.  At least the Q is trying to bring in new merchandise.  Unfortunately, there are delays caused by illness in factories and difficulty by manufacturers in getting supplies like fabric, buttons, zippers, etc.  Then there are complications with transportation and getting it scheduled.  It's a heck of a time to be an expediter; they must be pulling their hair out.

Often merchandise is scheduled to arrive, it airs and is sold, then it doesn't show up as scheduled.  That's when you see backorders...it's coming but due to unavoidable circumstances doesn't arrive on time.  You can get mad or shop to allow for delays and with patience.  It's NOT business as usual 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Very well stated. I do have to learn to be more patient.