Honored Contributor

Remember the coat that was "lovingly" referred to as the "road kill coat" - from several years ago.  Well, I bought one when first offered.  Not a bad trench once the collar was remove.

It is chilly and overcast here and looked like it might rain again - and I was meeting a friend for lunch at the restaurant down the street.  

I put the coat on and looked down ... all the "faux" started flaking off the coat!   I never realized that faux leather molted!   

Valued Contributor

Its peeling off the backing.  Faux leather is simply plastic material fused to a textile.  No matter who makes it, its still plastic.

I always chuckle when all designers say how high quality their faux leather is.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just like the flannel-backed plastic tablecloth your grandma used to have.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA

Are you sure it wasn't faux snake skin?

Woman Wink

@lianne I'm not sure what being 'plastic' has to do with it falling apart. I have a few faux leather items that aren't (molting) and frankly lots of items around the house also made of plastic that don't spontaneously deteriorate

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo

Funny ...  by the time I got it into the trash bag, I had a bunch of little black feathery stuff all over the floor by the closset.   The "faux" just few off the coat!   I had to take out the vacuum to clean it up.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ALRATIBA

Are you sure it wasn't faux snake skin?

Woman Wink

@Andreatoo

Funny ... It "had" a surface texture- but nothing that I could identify as snake.   Woman LOL

By the time I got it into the trash bag, I had a scattering of little black feathery stuff all over the floor by the closet.    It was the weirdest thing to see this "faux" flying off the coat.  I had to take out the vacuum to clean it up.

Honored Contributor

i would not consider this a coat that will last a lifetime.

it first appeared in the fall of 2010. if you got 5-6 years of use out of the coat i would say that that was a pretty good investment at $72 or below.

i recently saw a few of these at the rehoboth beach qvc outlet store.

http://www.qvc.com/Susan-Graver-Faux-Leather-Trench-Coat-with-Removable-Lining-%26-Collar.product.A2...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Remember the coat that was "lovingly" referred to as the "road kill coat" - from several years ago.  Well, I bought one when first offered.  Not a bad trench once the collar was remove.

It is chilly and overcast here and looked like it might rain again - and I was meeting a friend for lunch at the restaurant down the street.  

I put the coat on and looked down ... all the "faux" started flaking off the coat!   I never realized that faux leather molted!   

It's an inexpensive faux leather coat.  You got 4, 5 years out of it.  It wasn't meant to last a lifetime, it was not an investment piece.  You got your money's worth. 

Respected Contributor

Reminds me of a favorite raincoat I had. It was a fairly expensive designer coat, I forget the name, might have been Yves St. Laurent. It was black and had a shiny patent leather look, It wasn't stiff, but very supple like my best leather. Anyway, I hadn't needed to wear it for some time. I went to put it on and the "coating" was flaking off. I had it for a good 10 years, but I was still disappointed. I never found another one as good a quality to replace it.

Respected Contributor

@lianne wrote:

Its peeling off the backing.  Faux leather is simply plastic material fused to a textile.  No matter who makes it, its still plastic.

I always chuckle when all designers say how high quality their faux leather is.  

@lianne

Me, too. I am not big on leather, anyway, but I definitely will not buy plastic-- er, " faux leather."