Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

The only items I ever buy at these stores are from the kitchen or pet sections. My co-worker clued me into the great selection of pet items at our TJMaxx. The stock seems to vary with the seasons though as last time I was there it was less for pets, more for Christmas.

The Marshalls store is a mess. And last time I went there they only had 1 person ringing up sales and the line was looooong. They had Ghiradelli squares at a good price but the people in front of me had so much stuff that I bailed on my purchase.

What made it even more frustrating was that another employee kept going behind the register counter but not to open up another register; not sure what exactly they were doing.

I buy kitchen at TJMaxx and Marshalls too.   I rarely find any clothing I like or that is my style.

I hate the long lines at the one here in town, but the home section is really fantastic.

I do not like Ross or Burlington.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@shoptheQ  All the stores you mentioned are my regular hangouts. Love Homegoods for gifts and linens. TJ Maxx...always find workout clothes and Philosophy. Marshall's is best for shoes. 

Honored Contributor

@shoptheQ  I forget that TJ Maxx is great for Dooney bags if you go often and catch them when they come in.

Honored Contributor

I've never been to Burlington or Homegoods and I've never even been in a Ross as we don't have them around here.

The closest to me out of these stores is Marshalls and I may go there once a year.  It's just not in a shopping area I frequent much.  Same goes for TJMaxx.  I always find stuff when I'm there but the closest one to me requires getting on the turnpike and traveling about 25-30 minutes.  All the ones nearer to me closed.  

Esteemed Contributor

While I don't plan trips to the discount stores, if you're out and about around downtown Chicago you may pass one regardless of what section of downtown you are in.  If I have the time I'll generally take a walk through.  It's usually one or the other. Because of the effort of just browsing these stores I won't go into TJ Maxx and then come out, and go into a Marshalls. I don't buy a lot of clothing from these stores, but if I see something special I like that is truly a nationaly known or designer brand I might buy it.  I shy away from their fake discount store mystery name brand fashions. Housewares is a section I think the TJ/Marshalls/Homegoods housewares buyers (they are the same company) are doing an exceptional job finding nice merchandise. 

Fortunately for the discounters they willprobably still be in existence long after most of the regular priced retailers are gone.They can operate brick & mortar at a low cost because their inventories are limited, have minimal staffing needs, and they don't require luxurious overhead and amenities in their retail locations.

Honored Contributor

I don't shop at Burlington, don't have any Ross stores. Locally we have a TJ Maxx and it has improved in the last couple of years. Better selection and they renovated. Before that it was abysmal.

One town over is a Marshalls with the Home Goods on the other side. Love Home Goods.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

I remember about 15 years ago a beautiful Saks moved into our area.  It didn't last long.  I asked a manager at a store next door to the closed Saks  and he said the rich shop at TJ Max, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

I go to TJMaxx and I see too many broken and damaged items on the shelves.  There used to be a great selection of purses but that's rare now.  I check out the beauty section cause I can still find some good stuff, like Korres, once in a while.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptheQ wrote:

stores:  TJMaxx, Homegoods, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, Marshalls.

I shop at all of them, do you?  What items do you look for at these stores?

These stores are like junk shops where I live.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

I visit my local TJ Maxx at least three times a month and always leave with a bag of great stuff. Mostly clothes, shoes, and jewelry.

My local one has a "Runway" section with all the designer stuff. I find really good (cheap!) designer jeans such as Rag and Bone, True Religeon, and Paige and nice separates from Vince, Theory, and Ralph Lauren. We also have a decent, though not awesome, shoe section that's about the quality of a good DSW with the usual labels, but at better prices. The jewelry section isn't what it was in the good old days, but I've found some really nice, simple gold and sterling pieces at okay prices. 

I wish all of these stores would have better lingerie sections!

I too love the two TJ Maxx's near me.  They both have fabulous Runway sections with great designer stuff, but it is hit and miss in terms of sizing.

I think the stores are alway better in "nicer" areas.  Same goes for consignment shops.