Esteemed Contributor

I have a Ross and Marshalls close to my home.  Ross is a disaster. Marshalls is laid out nicely and have a nice selection. I have not been able to find petites so I don't buy. They do have nice purses. When I lived in CA, TJ Maxx was close to my home and I would visit them at least twice a month. So I miss this store.

Trusted Contributor

The only items I ever buy at these stores are from the kitchen or pet sections. My co-worker clued me into the great selection of pet items at our TJMaxx. The stock seems to vary with the seasons though as last time I was there it was less for pets, more for Christmas.

The Marshalls store is a mess. And last time I went there they only had 1 person ringing up sales and the line was looooong. They had Ghiradelli squares at a good price but the people in front of me had so much stuff that I bailed on my purchase.

What made it even more frustrating was that another employee kept going behind the register counter but not to open up another register; not sure what exactly they were doing.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

I have a Ross and Marshalls close to my home.  Ross is a disaster. Marshalls is laid out nicely and have a nice selection. I have not been able to find petites so I don't buy. They do have nice purses. When I lived in CA, TJ Maxx was close to my home and I would visit them at least twice a month. So I miss this store.

@elatedI went in our Ross several years ago.  It was below awful!  The stuff looked worse than a rag bag.  I've never been back.  I wonder if certain locations get better merchandise?

Honored Contributor

Did all my Christmas shopping at Burlington & TJ Maxx

TJ Maxx has great jewelry - the good stuff

Burlington has everything, good selection of men's items also

I also shop at Tuesday Morning.

@shoptheQ wrote:

stores:  TJMaxx, Homegoods, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, Marshalls.

I shop at all of them, do you?  What items do you look for at these stores?

Valued Contributor

I have tried to shop at these stores but every one I have ever been in it is always a hot mess!  I find great prices and quality merchandise at Steinmart.  I always keep going back to Steinmart!  I went in a Ross about 2 weeks ago and turned around and walked out!  Such a huge mess in that store!  Marshalls is the same way!

Super Contributor
I work for the Marshalls part of TJX. Great sales #'s for last year, great holiday sales as well. I am always intrigued as to why this off price business model has faired so well . It really is a hit or miss type deal. The trend has been customer service and customer engagement over task now . Really has changed immensely since I have been there.
Esteemed Contributor

TJX, the parent corporation of T.J. Maxx, Marshall's, and Home Goods in the U.S. also owns Winners, Marshall's, and Homesense in Canada. I do shop at these stores as well as T.J. Maxx and Marshall's in the U.S.

I don't particularly like the Ross and don't bother with Burlington Coat Factory either unless I am visiting the Lakewood, Washington strip mall that has the Ross, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory, and Target.

The Ross stores I visit are usually messy and unappealing but I realize that some locations are better than others.

Winners, Marshall's, Homesense and the joint Winners/Homesense stores in Canada are also variable. Some stores are better than others as some carry more shoes and or a better selection of sizes. I find them to be hit and miss as to whether I will be able to find clothes that fit or shoes that fit. I went to Winners today and the store was picked over and not restocked after the holidays.

You also can't shop online at Winners, Marshall's, or Homesense in Canada though. There's no Ross stores or Burlington Coat stores in Canada either.

Contributor

I shop at TJ Maxx the most even though the other stores listed are in my town.  I like the TJ Maxx stores better in an outlet center 50 miles south of me than the one here in town.

Respected Contributor

No. We do not have any of those stores, but I would shop there if we did.

Valued Contributor

I have to stop myself from going into Home Goods.  I can wander around there for hours.  LOL

I have two Home Goods close to me - one has a TJ Maxx on the other side.  The store is split.  The other store is just a Home Goods.  It's a smaller store and less shopped than the other one.  Both have incredible selections. 

I bought an upholstered bench for the end of our bed for a little over $100.  I also got some beautiful Ralph Lauren tableclothes for less than $15. 

I've never been in a Ross.  I'm not even sure if there are any around me.