Frequent Contributor

I usually wear an 8WW in shoes, I have two pair of the clogs in 8W and they are too wide for me now. I am wondering if I need to order an 8M or go down to a 7 1/2 W. I was looking at the canvas clogs for this summer and I would wear without socks. Any of you wore these clogs?

Honored Contributor

I have Ryka clogs and lots of others, I don't know EXACTLY your answer but here's something I've learned.

I asked 2 different foot Drs why as I've lost weight the actual size (not the width but the size of my foot has gone down? I said, "I know bones don't shrink enough to equal a size or 1/2 size so what's up?

They both said that when you are heavier your foot also gets wider (I was a size 2X easily). They said you loose weight everywhere (even in your ear lobes). They said that a foot has nowhere to go but upward when in a shoe and you stand on your foot so it goes up a size, thus the larger size.

My guess is that if you went down a size in width maybe you need to go down a size in length. This happened to me in the Clark shoes. It is very difficult to find a sie 10 1/2 (everyone will tell you this). So I always ordered a size 11 and they fit (even my beloved Birkenstock shoes).

But due to health issues (I cannot smell anything or taste anything) so I just don't eat much, thus I've lost weight. Now I'm finding that all of my shoes are too big! I love, love shoes. This is driving me crazy. Even my clogs (Birkenstock, Ryka, Sketchers, etc., are too big. Some are wider than others. I have found that Clarks run wide to start with, so they are really big!

In some shoes I wear a size 10 now. I'm beginning to think for the first time since even before my husband died, I will need to go back to size 9 1/2 in shoes like Clarks.

Maybe you already know this. I'm always late to the party (so to speak) as people say. I don't understand as quickly as some do, so this might be old news to you.

If I were you and you are no longer very wide, just wide, you might want to just try the size that's less wide.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your reply, I have lost 43 lbs. in the past year and my two pair of winder Ryka clogs are really big now, even with socks. I am lot a loss as what to do for my feet, they have always been hard to find shoes wide enough, so this is new to me. Thank you so much again!

Super Contributor

thanks for this good input..

Honored Contributor

Don't have any of the Ryka clogs. I have to order up 1/2 size in Ryka as since they were first sold on Q they have changed them some how. It's the only brand I have bought where I have to go up 1/2 size. Ryka's are made for women so the toe box area is larger/wider & the heel area smaller. They are the only tennis shoes I can wear that don't slide on my heels. I think if the length of the 8W Ryka fits but they are too wide in the width I would just order the regular width in an 8.

Trusted Contributor

I'm with Nightowlz - if the length looks good, just order a M width instead of the W. In Rykas, if I'm wearing them barefoot, I order my correct size, but if I'm wearing them with socks, I go 1/2 size up. I love my Rykas and have probably 10 pairs of different styles.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe u should order the canvas clog in 2 different widths to be sure one will fit. I own a pair of Ryka canvas clogs, which I purchased around 6 yrs ago. I wear 7 wide -- and it fits. Hope the quality is the same as in the past --- as I had to return the exact clog around 3 years ago, as the quality changed.