Trusted Contributor

Ruined my new sweater with toothpaste!

I received Isaac's boyfriend sweater in pink that was a TSV. I wore it out to dinner on Valentine's Day and noticed several white spots on the front of it. I thought it would rinse out but it appears that the color has been bleached out. The only thing I can think of is that I got some toothpaste on it, but I never dreamed that toothpaste could do this. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm just sad because it was a brand new sweater. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Ruined my new sweater with toothpaste!

[ Edited ]

Oh, that's too bad!!  So sorry. 

Was it a whitening type toothpaste?  Did you just rinse it or try some laundry product?

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I believe it was a whitening toothpaste. I tried rinsing it out, but it looks like the color is completely gone. 

Honored Contributor

One of the ingredients in most whitening toothpastes is hydrogen peroxide, a bleaching agent. If it gets on anything, it should be washed off immediately.

Contributor

I did the same thing to a new top. I was able to find a sharpie marker pen that was a close color. The bleach spots were very small so this camouflage method worked well. It was a permanent pen so it did not bleed when I washed the top. 

Honored Contributor

The same thing has happened to me with just regular Colgate.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@ChynnaBlue now that you mention hydrogen peroxide I'm wondering if it might have been that instead. I am treating a sore on one of my cats chin with it and it is possible that some could have been on a counter where I leaned into it. Good to know either way. Thank you! 

Respected Contributor

Another vote for a Sharpie! I keep a huge assortment for art projects but they are my go to for filling in color on so many things. There are so many colors available in pink...you might take your sweater to Michael's to match it.

Honored Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

@ChynnaBlue now that you mention hydrogen peroxide I'm wondering if it might have been that instead. I am treating a sore on one of my cats chin with it and it is possible that some could have been on a counter where I leaned into it. Good to know either way. Thank you! 

Man, that stinks, @Lori Kaye. Sorry. I've lost a lot of towels and pillowcases to benzoyl peroxide from acne treatments and I know it's always a huge disappointment whenever something gets ruined, especially something new. Smiley Sad

Occasional Contributor

So bad dear.. But don't worry give your sweater to dry cleaning. I hope your problem will be solved.