Esteemed Contributor

Royal Ascot Horse Race Fashions

There was a photo gallery online....Here is a sampling.

Slide 1 of 62: Mike and Zara Tindall led the way for glamorous racegoers as they made their first public appearance since the birth of their son, Lucas, for the first day of Royal Ascot today - while the Queen's racing manager revealed she will not be attending the event.

Slide 15 of 62: Some opted for extravagant headgear and muted colors.

Slide 12 of 62: Double trouble: This pair dazzled when arriving at the races in elaborate ensembles, featuring eye-catching red-and-yellow designs (pictured).

Slide 17 of 62: Feeling floral! Another racegoer wowed in an elegant oversized flower fascinator with yellow and red petals (pictured).

Slide 19 of 62: Unsurprisingly, hats where the focus of many racegoers' outfits, with flowers, feathers and beading all on display.

Slide 31 of 62: TV presenter Rosie Tapner was also in attendance.

Slide 33 of 62: British reality stars were also keen to lap up the atmosphere on the day, with Claudia Smith and Chloe Bowler from Absolutely Ascot in attendance.

Slide 34 of 62: The event is part of a list of pilot events taking place, allowing 12,000 revelers to attend, before the possible lifting of all measures to curtail the covid-19 pandemic in July.

Slide 54 of 62: Two racegoers were caught laughing as they attended day one of Royal Ascot in white in decorative hats and dresses.

Slide 29 of 62: TV's 'Mr Nasty' Simon Cowell is pictured arriving with his glamorous partner, Lauren Silverman, clutching a leather briefcase with a copy of the Racing Post.

Slide 26 of 62: She and her husband, Prince Edward, made for a stylish pair as they arrived for the day of racing at Royal Ascot.

Slide 16 of 62: Others opted for a more elegant low-key look for the race day, with one wearing a monochrome lace ensemble to the event.

Slide 13 of 62: Another duo, dressed in vibrant frocks, pose together when arriving at Ascot.

Slide 3 of 62: They joined Prince Edward, his wife, Countess Sophie Wessex, and Princess Anne at the racecourse earlier today. Prince Charles, 72, and the Duchess of Cornwall, 73, were also in attendance at the annual horse racing event.

Honored Contributor

Re: Royal Ascot Horse Race Fashions

Hello Canada has day 1 and day 2 on their site, but of course mostly just the Royal Family.  I do enjoy seeing what the commoners are wearing to the races!!  I am just so happy to see an event taking place after everything being cancelled last year.  From those outfits they are HAPPY too!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Zara and Mike (first pix) clean up real well.  Usually they look kind of disheveled and horsey. 

I remember a pix of Sarah Ferguson from a couple years ago dressed in velvet for spring. OMG she looked awful. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I wondered why people wore hats at horse races. It started out as a status symbol, when only wealthy attended the events; they wanted to set themselves apart from the average public.  Now it's just tradition. 

Some of those hats are nice, but the outrageous ones look ridiculous. Everyone does look happy, though.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Some look good, and I love the hats!Some of the hats are way out there though, but I guess they are just having fun! Is that Simon Cowell? It sure looks like him!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hats for women and top hats for men are part of the dress code for Ascot. Where is Simon Cowell's top hat?

Honored Contributor

I have no idea how they keep some of those hats on their heads.  LOL

Sophie looks beautiful!

Respected Contributor

I don't think they have mirrors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yikes!

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I wondered why people wore hats at horse races. It started out as a status symbol, when only wealthy attended the events; they wanted to set themselves apart from the average public.  Now it's just tradition. 

Some of those hats are nice, but the outrageous ones look ridiculous. Everyone does look happy, though.

@teganslaw Back in the day, turn of the century, and even up to the 1950 and 60's for going out almost everyone of any economic status wore hats.  

My mom and dad wore hats, you went to church you wore a hat.  Dad wore hats until the 1970's.  Remember those hats Frank Sinatry wore?  John Kennedy started the trend for men to NOT wear hats.

Esteemed Contributor

No worse than what is worn at the Kentucky Derby.