Respected Contributor

Over the years I have shrunk and lost weight.  I'm 5"1 and when I go to buy slacks I am having a problem.  It's always because of the rise, it is always too long.  Even if I get the right inseam they may not fit right because the rise is too long. 

However, the size charts don't show the rise.  They usually only give bust, waist and hip.  Anyone else have this problem?

Honored Contributor

Re: Rise on pants?

[ Edited ]

Are you shopping for petites? My mom has to wear petite sizes for that very reason. It's not just inseam issues. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Are you shopping for petites? My mom has to wear petite sizes for that very reason. It's not just inseam issues. 

@jaxs mom, yes I am shopping petites.  I should have included that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have that proble also.  I will not wear jeans or any pants that have such a long rise (5'4" and need a longer inseam)   that the waist goes at or above mine as that is so uncomfortable as I also have a thick waist so if I get a larger size the rest is huge!!  That is why I just love the low rise jeans so much and they are so comfy.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have that problem sometimes, but it's mostly because I have long thin legs, so I usually need a tall, but I have no rear (have been working on that at the gym, to practically no avail). I'm not tall (5'4-1/2"), so I definitely don't need a high rise.  I also have gained through the middle, so a lower rise is much more comfortable, and I can get a smaller size (2-4) to fit my rear without choking me at the waist! 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I am 5'8" and a L/XL and have that problem on occasion as well and never buy my pants without being able to try them on.  I can't stand it, you either have to hike them up, roll them down or wear the crotch near your knees because altering them is a pain.  I used to make my own pants beause of this.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

Are you checking the "click here" measurement chart? It gives detailed size info (usually including rise on pants).

Trusted Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Are you checking the "click here" measurement chart? It gives detailed size info (usually including rise on pants).

Totally agree with @Jasmine19.  You can't use the standard "size chart".  If you shop online , specifically on QVC, you can get the rise on every pants item, both front and back rise, using the click here garment measurements. (They are not body measurements. You get to know your own body measurements, compare to the garment specifics on the click here size chart and you will know if the pants will be comfortable.  Start with waist and hips, because those fit details are basics, then check the rise details and you'll find you can buy pants that fit well and look good on you.   

A true petite is not just shorter in the inseam, but proportioned for the rise. (I've had good fits with most Denim & Co. pants in petites, especially the Original Waist Side Pocket pants. A43881)  If it's a pant that I have not bought before, I sometimes check the click here regular measurements for teh rise and then look at the rise for the petite to make sure the rise is shown different. If it isn't, then it's really only short, not petite

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

I have that proble also.  I will not wear jeans or any pants that have such a long rise (5'4" and need a longer inseam)   that the waist goes at or above mine as that is so uncomfortable as I also have a thick waist so if I get a larger size the rest is huge!!  That is why I just love the low rise jeans so much and they are so comfy.

That's exactly my predicament. I was bummed all the high waisted stuff started coming out. It's so cute but even though I'm not overweight I carry my fat in my stomach since I hit mid 40s and find it so constricting and It makes me feel dumpy. 

Honored Contributor

The importance of the rise also relates to your torso length - not just your height and/or weight.

I.E.:  at 5'8", my height is more in my long torso rather then my legs (bummer!).

So I always ask (usually via email or live chat) if it's not noted on a vendor's site or in a catalog.