Honored Contributor

Retail therapy..does it work for you?

I haven't been shopping in an actual department store for a while, but got through a morning appointment and had about 30 minutes of time free...so I was near a Macy's store and went in, thinking I might find one thing, if I was lucky.

I took 7 items into the dressing room, and it must have been my lucky day, because usually I might like just one thing.  I liked everything!  I had to narrow it down to 4.  

So I purchased 1 cardigan and 3 tops.  Some of the items I thought wouldn't be eligible for discounts using coupons.  The SA rang up my purchases as 2 different transaction, giving me $20 off each purchase.  

In the end, I think my total for everything was about $120 (including tax).  Some of these items were usually excluded from discounts.

If you haven't been in a brick and mortar store in a while....give it a go....this was a good shopping trip for me!

Honored Contributor

Re: Retail therapy..does it work for you?

Definitely...........but it can be something as simple as a bag of jelly beans!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

LOL - I was born with the "shopping gene"; I can shop for hours and anywhere (even home improvement stores).

Lately JC Penneys has been taking some of my money every time I walk through it!  Kohl's took some too.

And Evine took a chunk because I bought a couple jewelry items for future Christmas gifts, a One World Top, and a second pair of pedal pushers.

Honored Contributor

I was in Macy's today and like yourself I found a few cute items. I was looking for a skirt in cool cotton and found a beautiful one. Estée Lauder was in bonus and I picked up their new Perfectionist foundation. 

Personally, I prefer to shop in brick and mortar stores. Fewer returns and I can try everything on.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Retail therapy works ok if I don't overspend...but if I do, it was because I found something that I just couldn't walk away from

and if it was on sale and I had a coupon, well that's just the bees knees🌹🐝

Respected Contributor

Yes, as long as I don't do it very often. Then it becomes boring.
Trusted Contributor

I stopped in Macy's this week.  First time in months.  I found an INC jean skirt that I loved,  The SA brought me the matching top.  Great outfit!  The SA rung each up separate and took $20 off each!  The skirt was on sale, the top wasn't.  I'm going back just before Fathers Day, SA said a big sale will be on.  

Honored Contributor

@Dawnie wrote:

I stopped in Macy's this week.  First time in months.  I found an INC jean skirt that I loved,  The SA brought me the matching top.  Great outfit!  The SA rung each up separate and took $20 off each!  The skirt was on sale, the top wasn't.  I'm going back just before Fathers Day, SA said a big sale will be on.  

Yes...that was my experience, too!  They never used to do this in the past, but she took my 4 items and separated them into 2 different sales, so I could get the most $$$ off.

There were some things I want to go back and take another look at, but was somewhat rushed today.

And the Estee Lauder counter is also calling my name!

Honored Contributor

I'm very happy that it worked for you but shopping in brick&mortar stores would be big step backwards for me.  I have a full life and schlepping through malls and stores isn't how I want to spend my free time.  Also, I shop with a purpose.  I rarely just "buy stuff" that I see.  When I do shop, I'm looking for a specific item to add to my wardrobe and that's pretty much impossible to do in physical stores.  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm very happy that it worked for you but shopping in brick&mortar stores would be big step backwards for me.  I have a full life and schlepping through malls and stores isn't how I want to spend my free time.  Also, I shop with a purpose.  I rarely just "buy stuff" that I see.  When I do shop, I'm looking for a specific item to add to my wardrobe and that's pretty much impossible to do in physical stores.  

Why is it 'impossible' to find specific items at a physical store?