Honored Contributor

Re: Removing Button Tab On A Sleeve

I just HATE those things!  I think they just look tacky.  I have no idea how that trend got started--or lives on!  

Esteemed Contributor

What a great find, @Greeneyedlady21 !   Sizes are all over the place...if I have time, I cruise thru the petites and the plus sizes 'cuz you never know!

What if you left the button on and called it a designer detail!?  

I would pull the button up and away from the fabric as much as you can and place the seam ripper on the back of the button and slowly work at cutting the threads.  

Even if you have a tiny hole, with the striation you should be able to sew it and not notice it.   

This is nerve wracking!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

Removing the button probably won't be too noticable. However. the tabs are ususally sewn & reverse sewn (back & forth) meaning the fabric will probably be slightly more apt to tear, or be noticed where the stitching was. I have several roll tab shirts & most all are sewn like that.

Honored Contributor

Easy peasy. Remove the button and get yourself a seam ripper and carefully, one by one, remove the stitches of the tab. Walla! There still may be holes left in the material where the tab was fastened, just work those out with your fingers. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Easy peasy. Remove the button and get yourself a seam ripper and carefully, one by one, remove the stitches of the tab. Walla! There still may be holes left in the material where the tab was fastened, just work those out with your fingers. 

This was my 1st thought, but I just looked on a blouse that I had w/ a tab, and what I would do is remove the button, that's not that big a deal, then cut the tab with your sharp fabric scizzors at the place where it is sewn on.

You'll probably have that extra layer from the tab on the outside of the sleeve, but it should not be that noticeable.

If you could take a close-up picture, maybe we could suggest something better.

You said it is polyester (mostly), so it is probably sewn on pretty securely, which is why I wouldn't use the seam ripper. If it were denim or medium-weight fabric, then I would rip it out.

At any rate, you could start by cutting off the tab, and then see what you have. You can still use a seam ripper to remove the extra piece, if you wanted to.

Honored Contributor

I have removed the outside button and the inside tab myself in the past with no issues, and I am by no means a seamstress. 

Honored Contributor

I want to see a picture of the top! I love a good peplum...

Honored Contributor

Is this it? I searched peplums and there weren't many with roll tab sleeves

kohls peplum.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo

That's actually cute. I like the roll-tab and the color, and the ruffle is not an abnoxious one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@Andreatoo

That's actually cute. I like the roll-tab and the color, and the ruffle is not an abnoxious one.

@Harpa

$8.64!  But I think they often use the term peplum rather loosely....