Honored Contributor

Removing Button Tab On A Sleeve

I found the cutest black peplum top today on clearance, 8 dollars and change. At Kohls. Why they put a button tab sleeve on this top, I have no idea. Kohls has a thing for those sleeves.

I'd love to take off the button and the tab piece but I'm scared to😆 Has anyone done this without damaging the top and/or making it look really bad? The button is black so it doesn't show as much as it could.

Top is just polyester, and five percent spandex.

I'm not a sewer or handy with a needle and thread at all.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Removing Button Tab On A Sleeve

Does it have a button hole or a loop? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Can't you just lop off the long piece and remove the button?  That's what I usually do.  If for some reason the top is delicate or thin where a bump might show, I ask my tailor to remove it.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom it has a button hole

@MacDUFF That's what I was going to do but I'm afraid removing the button will make a hole in the fabric, one that could get even bigger. And of the bump showing, like you said.

I know it sounds crazy to care about damage to an 8 dollar and change top...but I do. I'm a weirdo.

Honored Contributor

You can get the button off easily. Use small scissors if you don't have a seam ripper and just clip the threads holding it on. Then pull out the threads. You could hand sew the button hole closed with matching thread. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@jaxs mom it has a button hole

@MacDUFF That's what I was going to do but I'm afraid removing the button will make a hole in the fabric, one that could get even bigger. And of the bump showing, like you said.

I know it sounds crazy to care about damage to an 8 dollar and change top...but I do. I'm a weirdo.

@Greeneyedlady21

I'm a weirdo, too, then...we gotta stick together!!  Smiley Very Happy  It's not the $$$...it's that you love the piece!  I may not be picturing the exact kind of closure you're talking about...can you post a pic?

Are you talking about this kind of sleeve/button...

Image result for tab button on sleeve

Or this...

Image result for tab button on sleeve

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom I was going to use a seam ripper. I could try to sew the tiny hole.

I just have no confidence doing these things. My DIY doesn't always work out well.

Esteemed Contributor

Why would there be a hole removing a button with a seam ripper?   Just be very, very, very careful!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF It's a sleeve like the blue denim one. Roll tab.

It's a soft fabric, striated in the black...like the very subtle lines but monochromatic. It's a petite and I am no petite, I'm 5'10. But I went up to a large from medium and it fits.

Honored Contributor

If there's a tiny hole after you remove the button, just work the fabric with your fingers and you should move the threads enough that the hole disappears. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment