Honored Contributor

Re: Remember maternity tops????

Yes, I remember when pregnant women wore them,  Now non- pregnant women wear them with leggings and pregnant women wear skin tight tops showing the belly button a popping.

Frequent Contributor

The old-school maternity wear was so lovely, feminine, and comfortable-looking.  I am also one of those ladies who cringe when I see a woman in a stuffed-sausage outfit.  It makes them appear uncomfortable.  I am not at all understanding those who believe that wearing proper maternity wear is somehow hiding or being ashamed of being pregnant.  Wearing comfortable, pretty, feminine maternity clothes, to me, is a lady who is embracng her pregnancy in a beautiful way.  Just by looking at her, no one in their right mind would believe that she is ashamed/hiding her pregnancy, because she simply cannot hide it. 

On the other hand, women who insist on wearing too-tight clothes to me, appears to be someone who is not accepting that for the time being, she does not look attractive or comfortable in stuffed-sausage get-ups.  If this post isn't crystal-clear, then the reader either has difficulty with comprehension, or is just stubborn about what is literally right in front of their very eyes.

But hey, it's just clothes.  The sausage ladies are going to continue right along with that unfortunate trend. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

First, the picture of the woman in the late stages of pregnancy - well it probably was hot, she was miserable and she chose to wear what she was comfortable in and I say good for her.  Seeing a pregnant woman in tight clothing doesn't bother me.  Woman get pregnant and no need to have to cover up!!  I would think men are happy they are going to be a father and see no reason for them to want the mother of their child to cover up to downplay the pregnancy!  I remember my grandmother and her friends saying how they had to pretty much stay at home after they were showing which was absolutely ridiculous!!

@Pook- I don't think women should hide a pregnancy but it just isn't pretty seeing a garment so tight, you see the outline of her navel....it's unattractive.  My niece had twins....8 and 9 lbs each; she looked lovely, always even on bedrest the first five months....she never wore anything covering her pregnancy but wouldn't be caught in public bound up in spandex....it's one thing to hide a pregnancy but another to advertise it and your body parts...there's a point in between...I think pregnancy and childbirth is a beautiful thing and worked in the DR for 25 years but everyone doesn't.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wakefield64 wrote:

I am old enough to remember when women, including myself, when pregnant did not want to wear those tops. Now I feel like many of the styles, a la LG, are just that, loose fitting swingy tops. Now acceptable, then not so much....don't get it and don't buy them. For most people excluding Kate the model they add weight, just my opinion. I do not think they lok that flattering on someone tiny like Amy either. But I guess people are buying or QVC would have pulled them by now or at least reduced their constant air time.

@wakefield64

Why not?    What's wrong with loose tops during pregnancy?    What's even worse is women wearing those skin tight, stuffed sausage look during pregnancy!  They clearly don't realize how really bad they look!   

@Tinkrbl44 How right you are!!!!  It turns my stomach to see that.  Apparently, those women don't own mirrors. 

They are pregnant.  They know how they look.  It's ok to be pregnant today, unlike the stone age when I was young.  How awful it was.  Even married women were often uncomfortable in public. How sad for them in the day.  I'd rather have the attitude and clothing today than making them feel bad and wearing those horrible old tents they had to wear.  They can chose now. 

When was that?  I don't remember and I was never uncomfortable being pregnant in public.  I even went swimming in a maternity swim suit.

i remember my mother being pregnant in the 50's and she wasn't uncomfortable and I have many pictures of her wearing beautiful maternity clothing. She always looked happy and was beaming.

Honored Contributor

Of course! In fact some of them look like some of the things I see here on QVC.   Now that would be in the early stages, maybe with first baby up to about 7th month.  After each baby my belly stretched.

By the third baby on the 9 1/2 month I looked like a beached wale.  Thank goodness for maternity tops.  Believe me you wouldn't want me wearing those tight belly maternity things women wear now!  

Personally, I don't find them attractive.  I don't like real maternity tops either.  Somewhere inbetween works for me if a woman's belly doesn't get as big as mine did.  Not fat, just a big belly.  Thanks goodness I didn't have an "outie" though.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

Image result for pregnant wearing tight clothes

We see men with hairy, beer bellies in the heat of the summer.  Yet, this lady, obviously about to give birth soon, is gross and disgusting? 

I have nothing but empathy for her.

I think she looks lovely.

It used to freak me out when strange women would come up to me and rub my big baby belly.

They were always so sweet and kind, but I'm not comfortable with people I dont know touching me.

LOL  That outfit would not even be lovely if she wasn't pregnant! 

And men with a beer belly hanging is not a nice look either.  Clothing should fit and not look like it's painted on no matter what your size.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a Linea swing coat a couple of years ago as all the ladies here raved about it, but people at work teased so hard saying I looked like I was wearing a maternity jacket.  🙄  Funny how some loose fitting clothes are thought to be stylish while others are critiqued as maternity wear.  I thought it was a well-made coat, but faced reality that it really did make me look like I'd gained a lot of weight and looked like I was expecting, so I rarely wear it.

Honored Contributor

Who knew so many found pregnancy belly buttons offensive.  Mine didn't pop until the last few weeks of my pregnancies.  Truthfully it was a benchmark I was looking forward to as it was another sign that my little one was growing and would soon be here.

I've seen women put large bandaids over their protruding belly button.  I think that looks ridiculous as it's not like it is a boo-boo or wound. 

Respected Contributor

Am I the only woman who dislikes the current skin-tight maternity tops! Who wants to see that?

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Who knew so many found pregnancy belly buttons offensive.  Mine didn't pop until the last few weeks of my pregnancies.  Truthfully it was a benchmark I was looking forward to as it was another sign that my little one was growing and would soon be here.

I've seen women put large bandaids over their protruding belly button.  I think that looks ridiculous as it's not like it is a boo-boo or wound. 

Pregnant belly buttons are not offensive. But it is distracting much like headlights on a women when she is cold.