Honored Contributor

Re: Remember maternity tops????

It would be interesting to find out (survey) what most husbands/sig.others/boyfriends think about the very tight look on moms-to-be.  ............ (Said in a nice way.  It just would be interesting (to me), that's all.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

First, the picture of the woman in the late stages of pregnancy - well it probably was hot, she was miserable and she chose to wear what she was comfortable in and I say good for her.  Seeing a pregnant woman in tight clothing doesn't bother me.  Woman get pregnant and no need to have to cover up!!  I would think men are happy they are going to be a father and see no reason for them to want the mother of their child to cover up to downplay the pregnancy!  I remember my grandmother and her friends saying how they had to pretty much stay at home after they were showing which was absolutely ridiculous!!

Honored Contributor

@Pook

Pook, it isn't about "downplaying" the pregnancy.

How about just having a little dignity?   Are you familiar with that word?

Honored Contributor

The American woman on average is overweight and out of shape. They look pregnant. Sad but true. That is why almost every clothing line on QVC had tent style tops. 

Contributor

We had a surge of pregnancies in 08 in our town! I was 20 and everyone was between 18 and 22 at the time. Me and my friend were the only ones who wore maternity clothes, everyone else was wearing leggings and junior shirts just larger sized because they couldn't be caught dead wearing clothes from motherhood. I was pregnant in the heat of summer and couldn't pay me enough money to wear skin tight clothes! I proudly wore my maternity clothes at 20!!!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Pook

Gotta say, having been pregnant in very hot weather, woven cotton hanging from my shoulders to below my knees was as airy and cool as being nekkid.

Wearing ANY knit, especially any having the teeniest bit of synthetic thread and or spandex in it, made me feel as though I were being tortured to reveal state secrets.

Anyone can choose how they wish to look, but I'd have to think that women who enjoy wearing painted on maternity garments have to be thinking something besides comfort.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Pook

@Tinkrbl44  That poster didn't read and comprehend.  I can't believe she doesn't understand the meaning of anything we've said here but then again, I surely won't explain it to her at all.  It would cause an argument and then the moderators come in and poof everyting.  She just doesn't get it.  What a pity.  

Respected Contributor

Dialogue (true) w/husband and myself during last trimester in summertime Houston TX:

Me: looking in mirror in lightest possible cotton nightgown : 'I look like a tree trunk'.

DH:  watching from bed, and ready to fall asleep: "No, babe, you resemble a sapling (smart man!) '.

Me: ' (not buying into being placated and 50+ over pre-preg weight): ' Yeah, from the Sequoia National Forest'.

Best thing after all, was my child.

Honored Contributor

Image result for pregnant wearing tight clothes

We see men with hairy, beer bellies in the heat of the summer.  Yet, this lady, obviously about to give birth soon, is gross and disgusting? 

I have nothing but empathy for her.

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

Image result for pregnant wearing tight clothes

We see men with hairy, beer bellies in the heat of the summer.  Yet, this lady, obviously about to give birth soon, is gross and disgusting? 

I have nothing but empathy for her.

I think she looks lovely.

It used to freak me out when strange women would come up to me and rub my big baby belly.

They were always so sweet and kind, but I'm not comfortable with people I dont know touching me.