Honored Contributor

Re: Remember maternity tops????

[ Edited ]

Certainly PLENTY of logo maternity tops here, that seems to be pretty much all LG sells - and mind you at HIGH not so pretty price tickets too.  That new one that doubles (285378) as a pajama top or maternity wear is out of the market for $86+.  I'm still laughing over that one.  It's a very sheer mesh fabric - looks like pj's for little girls called baby dolls when I was a little girl.  And all for a mere $86.+.

Who told LG & QVC that her stuff is worth the prices they charge for it? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having lost three before my first viable pregnancy, I felt like a queen when I could buy clothes in a maternity STORE.

Now no such thing, but I can't help but think that the painted on look must be pretty uncomfortable.

I really liked the full top over slacks and swing style dress look.

Respected Contributor

I remember observing "Lucy" maternity tops on women (like she had on in the tv show , when the writers could not say pregnant ). They must have sold a lot of material to make those! I saw women in real life with buttons/bows/ & lace some looked adorable and some could not wait to return to 'regular' clothing.

As far as today's tunics that are so popular currently I find as with any clothing item I need to try them on. Some I love that covers flaws and complements and some not so much.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

Why should pregnancy be something to hide under loose fitting cover up clothing like it's shameful?   I never understood that.  Why would seeing a pregnant woman dressed stylishly  be disgusting and turn anyone's stomach to see?   Isn't it supposed to be a beautiful thing?  

Anyway I do like many of the loose fitting tops to wear over skinny jeans but I always size down so they are not overwhelming huge. 

@Pook    @BlingQueen022     @wakefield64

Oh, come on .... no one said pregnancy is shameful, and dressing "stylishly" isn't the issue here, either.

IMO, the issue here is dressing inappropriately while pregnant.  How about having a little dignity when carring a child?     A woman wearing a top that's so tight it makes people cringe to look at her isn't "stylish" .... it's tacky, to say the least.

Image result for pregnant wearing tight clothes

Honored Contributor

One thing that's nice now-a-days, is that future moms could find inexpensive 'maternity-type' tops just about everywhere.  The style is loosely draped, etc.   Stores like Burlington and Ross and TJ Maxx, Forevr 21, etc.  No need to spend a fortune.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

Hated most maternity tops.  I wore a lot of empre waist tops with dress pants or a skirt.  I didn't even need maternity tops until I was almost 7 months - LOL

With my second, I was on bedrest for the last 6 weeks in the hospital.  I didn't need more than the hospital gown  Smiley Sad

It doesn't bother me to see pregnant women wearing a fitted top. 

I don't know what many of you would do if you saw a pregnant woman wearinga  two piece bathing suit.  *gasp*

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Why should pregnancy be something to hide under loose fitting cover up clothing like it's shameful?   I never understood that.  Why would seeing a pregnant woman dressed stylishly  be disgusting and turn anyone's stomach to see?   Isn't it supposed to be a beautiful thing?  

Anyway I do like many of the loose fitting tops to wear over skinny jeans but I always size down so they are not overwhelming huge. 

@Pook    @BlingQueen022     @wakefield64

Oh, come on .... no one said pregnancy is shameful, and dressing "stylishly" isn't the issue here, either.

IMO, the issue here is dressing inappropriately while pregnant.  How about having a little dignity when carring a child?     A woman wearing a top that's so tight it makes people cringe to look at her isn't "stylish" .... it's tacky, to say the least.

Image result for pregnant wearing tight clothes

@Tinkrbl44 I couldn't have summed it up better.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

After feeling like I had spent a lifetime in maternity clothes way back then, I sent back to where they belonged-the fireplace.

I refuse to even wear anything that looks remotely swingy or maternity, I don't care who is wearing or showing it.

eta: I used to tape a quarter over my belly button when it began to stick out.

Esteemed Contributor

We can tell how old posters are by their responses to this question.

I find wearing sausage-skin tight clothing while pregnant to be poor taste.  But I'm an old broad!   I was so excited when I was finally big enough to wear a maternity top.  A rite of passage.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I remember my mother wearing maternity clothes in the early 1960s.  Everything made her look huge.  It was not a style I was eager to embrace during my pregnancies.  My doctors were extremely strict about weight gain suggesting 15 pounds, 20 pounds tops.  Because I was small to start with, I never hit 120.  Peasant tops were popular  and as long as they were long enough, I was able to wear my hip huggers.  Empire waisted dresses were also popular so there was no problem there.  The one thing that was different back then, people (even strangers) did not touch our stomach at whim.  Today it almost seems like a baby greeting to rub a pregnant belly.

I remember shopping for a bathing suit and found maternity suits to be huge.  In public I wore what we called baby doll or apron suits. They were empire waisted in the front with bikini bottoms.  We had a pool so privacy wasn't an issue, I wore my bikinis.  I remember an older male doctor in the practice who said the baby could get sunburned.

I do not think our DIL ever wore maternity clothes.  She was never afraid to showcase her maternity tummies. (and her 2nd pregnancy she has twins)