Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Speigel Cataog ?

What I remember most about Speigel was their fur coats. I think most were faux but they looked very real to me.

Trusted Contributor

I remember them fondly, but not sure the letter carriers did; they were as heavy as some phone books.  

Honored Contributor

Interesting. I never shopped with catalogues and although I have heard of Spiegel, I have never seen their catalogue. Back in the day, I shopped in stores. Back then, I loved trying on clothing and liked seeing things in person. No mail order ...actually my first delivery was from home shopping.

Honored Contributor

Yes..I would occasionally (a few times a year) order clothing and home items. They were always good quality and different from what was sold in the stores at that time.

I still remember the gorgeous Midi Dress I ordered for my daughters Communion. I received so many compliments on that dress. I also had a white eyelet tunic that was so pretty. Oh the good old days!

Esteemed Contributor

I also ordered dresses from their catalog in the '80s.  Very nice stuff. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I was a catalog collector long before the 90s.  My mom and my nana shopped with catalogs and we had scored of them in the dining room.  Sears&Roebuck, JC Penney, Montgomery Ward, Spiegel's.  Others that I can't remember.  I was born a fashionista, I was flipping through catalogs and dreaming from the time I was 9 or 10 years old.

I did the same thing at that age with those catalogues, especially the Montgomery Ward catalog.  I wore them all out and could not wait until I was old enough to get my first bra!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

We placed our foot on the measurement scale for the size of shoe to order. I guess it was a convenient way to shop since we lived "out " in the sticks.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG My momma often ordered from SPIEGEL and she loved their bedding products for the home.   She worked ar ZENITH years ago in Chicago and loved all things from there!  I can remember getting a bedspread for my birthday  and I was so proud of it, thanks momma.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols 

Over my bathroom sink I have a beautiful French white oval ceramic mirror with carved flowers on 1/3 of the upper curve.  I also got the blue ticking wall paper from Speigel and it's still wonderful and cute in a country house!  I couldn't get it without my little shelf!

20230601_175953.jpg

Contributor

I still have wall pictures from them and they are still beautiful. I also have a hallway table with a beautiful mirror that is still in style, bought these items in the 90s when we bought our first home  I always get compliments on my Spiegel items, wish they were still around.