Honored Contributor

Re: Remember Speigel Cataog ?

I remember and miss the Spiegel catalog and other catalogs too. 

I would order clothes, shoes, and, household items, always quality.

Happy 1st Day Of June

Respected Contributor

I remember them very well. Their clothes were a bit more expensive than other mail order catalogs, i.e., Sears, JC Penney, but very well made. Some of my favorite dresses were from Spiegel and always got complimented on them. I still have some housewares from their and still love them. I was in a different situation back in the 80s, both financially and size-wise; I imagine they were happy to have me as a customer! I loved those big catalogs with the glamourous models.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I do. I was just thinking about Speigel a couple weeks ago and actually did a search on its history. I looked forward to getting their catalogs back in the 80's and purchased a few things from them. Good times.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor

LOved it. Bought many fashions from it.

Trusted Contributor

I loved the Speigel Catalog! One of the best things I ever bought was a bedspread with pillow and matching drapes. I was thrilled to have such a beautiful bedroom, that was probably 30 years ago, we bought this house 27 years ago and brought them with us. I had to have the drapes changed but it was all still beautiful. I remember them fondly. 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

Was this the catalog where homegoods etc were in one part and fashions were in another part.............and you had to turn it upside down to get to the other part of the catalog? 

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

I still own some items I bought from Spiegel for my very first home!  I loved that catalog! 

I have a beautiful pair of brass candelabra on my dining room table, and some pretty lace curtains in the bedroom.  

They had such a great collection of things to buy-- I do not know why they disappeared.

Me too.  I spent so much money from that catalog, even home and bath items.  Loved it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

My best friend's mom from high school ordered a lot of clothes for the family from Speigel because, at that time, they weren't too expensive.  After I graduated and was on my own, I requested a catalog and wa surprised to find the prices had gone up significantly.  

I don't remember them having home furnishings....I was just into the clothes, I guess.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Oh my -- I loved the Speigel catalog.  I order lots of fashion from there.  It was a bit pricey back then, but had beautiful things.  Then they purchased Newport News catalog, which had cheaper, more trendy items that were more fast fashion.  I order from both.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a catalog collector long before the 90s.  My mom and my nana shopped with catalogs and we had scores of them in the dining room.  Sears&Roebuck, JC Penney, Montgomery Ward, Spiegel's.  Others that I can't remember.  I was born a fashionista, I was flipping through catalogs and dreaming from the time I was 9 or 10 years old.