Honored Contributor

Remember Mary McFadden Items On Q?

I was looking through my closet to take things to consignment and came across fantastic silk scarves and an embrodered silk vest.  They were in the origonal boxes and I never thought to get them out.  Now I wear other things!Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Remember Mary McFadden Items On Q?

How fun to find those items !   I remember Mary McFadden on QVC.   I can recall pretty little evening bags or clutches, I think.....

Esteemed Contributor

I really wish I had saved the designer garments I bought at QVC years ago. QVC brought in talented designers and gave them enough leeway to create some fantastic clothes. I especially remember Louis del Olio's creations. All I can say is WOW!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What were her tiny thin pleats called again?  There was a name for them.  I was tempted once to buy a QVC skirt that was featuring those pleats during one of McFadden's shows.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  Crystal pleats? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Pearlee  Crystal pleats? 

@Kachina624  Thanks but no, that's not it.  But you prompted me to search for it online and I was thinking of Marii pleats, those thin long pleats that stayed in the fabric and didn't come undone.    

Honored Contributor

• Accordion, Box, Cartridge, Fluted, Fortuny, Honeycomb, Kick, Organ, Plisse, Rolled, Watteau, Kingussie
  • taken from the pleat wikipedia.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

• Accordion, Box, Cartridge, Fluted, Fortuny, Honeycomb, Kick, Organ, Plisse, Rolled, Watteau, Kingussie

@Nonametoday, as I posted above to Katchina24, I  found the pleat name I was looking for.  It was the one mentioned often when McFadden sold her clothes on QVC.  

I don't ever recall any of the others in your post being mentioned on air during a McFadden show other than Fortuny, which was not the one I was trying to think of. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Nonametoday, as I posted above to Katchina24, I  found the pleat name I was looking for.  It was the one mentioned often when McFadden sold her clothes on QVC.  

I don't ever recall any of the others in your post being mentioned on air during a McFadden show other than Fortuny, which was not the one I was trying to think of. 

NAT:  I am sorry, I did not make myself clear.  Mari(ano) is the given name of Fortuny.  I just was interested if there were other pleat names and was just giving the information to any and all who wanted it on pleats.  I thought you knew that Mari was a nick name she gave Fortuny whose given name is Mari.  Sorry to create confusion.  Best wishes for a fun day.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  My info was the following from the    site (I won't post a link lest the Mods not like it).   It distinguishes Marii from Fortuny which is why I did also.  The following is what I meant in my post.

"Unlike Fortuny, who is remembered for his nearly permanent pleating of silk, McFadden uses synthetic fiber to achieve a permanent pleat in her designs. When McFadden first began designing in about 1975, she used pleated silk, which was then hand-painted or otherwise embellished. McFadden was dissatisfied with the tendency of the silk pleats to come undone, so quickly she switched to a synthetic pleated textile. Called 'Marii,' this synthetic charmeuse was woven in Australia , dyed in Japan and pleated in the United States. To protect the specific process, McFadden trademarked Marii."

Site source: FIDM Museum and Galleries