Respected Contributor

If a top says relaxed fit and the bust measurements are larger do you stay with your normal size - assuming these larger measurements are taken into account re sizing by the manufacturer - or do you size down?

I do not expect the host to address this larger 'relaxed' sizing (they very rarely do) just wanted any feedback.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Relaxed fit means it will be a "tad" more generous.  If you want that look, go with your usual size.  If that's too much fabric, I go down.

Honored Contributor

Relaxed fit, even looser than QVCs normal fit which tends to run baggy already IME. Look at the garment measurements. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

A relaxed fit means it's a little roomy and it's supposed to be a little roomy.  So, I would not in a million years size down on an item that is advertised as a relaxed fit.  That makes no sense to me.  It something is designed to be roomy or slouchy and you size down, you throw off the proportions and it won't fit well.  If you don't want a relaxed fit in an item....don't buy it.  Look for items that say they are "fitted".

Honored Contributor

I go with my bust size....usually works..

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on the brand. For example, a relaxed fit in a t-shirt or polo shirt from Land's End is REALLY big and I do size down. Their more tailored fit doesn't leave me enough room in the shoulders and upper body to swing a golf club. By sizing down in the relaxed fit, I get exactly what works for me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Re: Relaxed Fit?

[ Edited ]

For me - it all depends on the style and cut of the garment, and also on the fabric.  Knits require less wearing ease than wovens.  Some garments are designed to have more wearing ease than others.

As an example ... here's a chart that explains wearing ease for various styles.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Relaxed Fit?

[ Edited ]

In the Denim and Co. short sleeved sweat shirts the bust is more then my usual size 'L'.   I went back and ordered a medium made me feel all svelte. LOL   

I stick  with semi fitted or relaxed , pass on 'fitted'. That's for the no shoulders, no bust folk. I am not of that crowd. LOL   Like Kierstan.

Honored Contributor

I go by my and the garment measurements.  I know my sweet spot.  Sometimes I go down a size, sometimes not.

Honored Contributor

I always go up a size.