Honored Contributor

Re: ? Regarding 100% Polyester Material ?

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

Polyester is  much better than it used to be, but most of it is made from plastic.  It doesn't break down like natural fabrics.  I find it is too hot and uncomfortable to wear.

I avoid it whenever I can.

ALL polyester is made from plastic and I agree with you that it is too hot and doesn't breathe. For those who like it - have at it. I won't be fighting you for it. I have a few pieces - hard to avoid but they are very lightweight or they are winter wear. I just shake my head when someone says there are different grades of polyester - plastic is plastic. One good thing I will say about it - it doesn't fade.

Honored Contributor

There are different grades of polyester.  It can be a beautiful fabric - it doesn't wrinkle, doesn't fade, and it has a better hand than other fabrics.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

ALL polyester is made from plastic and I agree with you that it is too hot and doesn't breathe. For those who like it - have at it. I won't be fighting you for it. I have a few pieces - hard to avoid but they are very lightweight or they are winter wear. I just shake my head when someone says there are different grades of polyester - plastic is plastic. One good thing I will say about it - it doesn't fade.

I suppose you are going to tell us all plastic is the same too.

Despite what you insist, there are different quality polyesters.

OP, polyester is not the kiss of death in fabrics. I'd rather have a good quality polyester than a cheap cotton that shrinks, wrinkles and fades.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Polyester is  much better than it used to be, but most of it is made from plastic.  It doesn't break down like natural fabrics.  I find it is too hot and uncomfortable to wear.

I avoid it whenever I can.

It doesn't fade, but it does yellow.  I have a pair of white polyester curtains on the door of my RV.  The sun turns them yellow.  Bleach does not work on polyester, but I have found that I can use the additive stuff I use  in the  dishwasher to remove stains from plastic will get them white again.  I have to soak them a couple of days for all the yellow to come out.