Respected Contributor

Reformed shopaholics week of April 14

[ Edited ]

we just had a few raindrops ..I could smell it in the air. We get a very strong creosote smell from the desert.

Did I tell,you that I killed a scorpion the other evening...we had the Az room screen open and I think that is how it got in. 

I have the ra fatigue today so am very unmotivated. My legs are swelling too, which they never do

,something to ask my pcp abiut.,

Linda..I always wear a mask but I am not fearful about going out. I would never got to a crowded place.I hope yiu get more comfortable once yiur 2 weeks is up.,I am not about to don anything crazy.

my dinner last night was good..the from scratch pound cake turned out well.  I haven't baked a cake from scratch in forever.

Claudia..fingers crossed yiu get a contractor at a good price. The Amish are excellent crafts people.

enjoy yourvday.🥰🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reformed shopaholics week of April 8

@sydsgma1 wrote:

we just had a few raindrops ..I could smell it in the air. We get a very strong creosote smell from the desert.

Did I tell,you that I killed a scorpion the other evening...we had the Az room screen open and I think that is how it got in. 

I have the ra fatigue today so am very unmotivated. My legs are swelling too, which they never do

,something to ask my pcp abiut.,

Linda..I always wear a mask but I am not fearful about going out. I would never got to a crowded place.I hope yiu get more comfortable once yiur 2 weeks is up.,I am not about to don anything crazy.

my dinner last night was good..the from scratch pound cake turned out well.  I haven't baked a cake from scratch in forever.

Claudia..fingers crossed yiu get a contractor at a good price. The Amish are excellent crafts people.

enjoy yourvday.🥰🥰

i am having an ra fatigue day today, too....been on the couch all day with the heating pad....forgot what it's like to have a pain-free day.......your pound cake sounds delicious....so glad you were able to make it....it's not easy to do the things we did before ra......take care.....

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Barbara.  Sorry you are dealing with fatigue again. You as well 

Glad you were able to get rid of that scorpion, Barbara.  I have not seen one here so far -- thank goodness.  Happy you were pleased with your pound cake.  I am finally going to try to make some tahini today.  For some reason, they never have it in the stores here, and I like to make hummus with it.  Not difficult at all, but I never seem to get around to toasting the sesame seeds.

I'm hoping I get over this fear of going out.  I am planning to go out to lunch with some of my Caregivers friends this Friday -- outdoors and early in the day.  That will be step one at least.

It has turned cloudy here, but no rain drops.  Oh well....

Hope you get some more bids from the contractors, Claudia. It is a shame that it will be more $$ than you hoped, and you don't feel that you can go to the wedding.  But, I think you are making the right choice.  I'm sure I'd be so concerned about the money that I wouldn't enjoy the wedding as much as I would like.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.  Also hope you have a nice evening .

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

I'm sorry about your fatigue, Barbara and Nananana59. My mother had fibromyalgia and was often very fatigued. My goodness, I'm glad you spotted that scorpion, Barbara.

R often orders impulsively from website ads and I suspect that has something to do with his card being hacked so often.

It was fairly warm today. I considered mowing out front but decided to wait till tomorrow.

I just don't feel comfortable spending the amount it would cost to go to my niece's wedding.  Plane fare, hotel for 2-3 nights, car rental, food and boarding the dogs. If the estimate was lower we would probably go but I always have to leave some funds in reserve in case of emergency. We certainly didn't think we'd need to not only do the porches this year but also the roof. Then it would be foolish not to do the garage roof as that's 35 years old. I also need to factor in the cost for R's reunion if we go. I fear it may be the last one for him and his buddies and he wants to go.

I hope you enjoy lunch with your caregiver friends, Linda. The first step is always the most difficult.

I had a good chat with my cat sitter friend. She had called and left a message. Her mother 90+ years old finally got the first vaccine.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reformed shopaholics week of April 14

Good Afternoon/Evening.   Glad your cat sitter's Mom finally got her vaccine, Claudia.  Hope R's reunion is held, and he is able to attend.

DD had her medical billing and coding test on Saturday -- more than five hours with no breaks or chance to drink water, etc.  She said that it was extremely difficult due to the number of questions and short time they had to answer each.  Plus, despite studying for months, she didn't know quite a few of the answers.  By the time she got home, she was starving, had a bad headache, and was exhausted.  Today, she found that she failed the test, which was not good.  But, I am proud of her for putting so much effort into the course, and I think it helped her figure out some things about herself.   And, she is still determined to find a profession/skill that is right for her.  She may try a different course at the community college, but is not jumping at it right now.

Yesterday, she did a ton of cleaning, and today she went to have her nails done.  A really positive thing is that my SIL is getting a promotion and raise.  Another employee left suddenly, and he had to take over three more contracts.  His immediate boss told the company owner that he had basically saved the contracts, and she said he should be promoted since another person (at a higher level was leaving).  Also, he attended a financial seminar, and then checked out his old 401K plans.  Much to his surprise, he had quite a bit of money in one.  On Friday, he and DD are meeting with the company financial adviser, and moving the old plans into a new one.  

I plan to start trying on all my pants after I finish posting.  Surely, there are some that are no longer needed.  I just have way too many.

Hope you are feeling better today, Barbara, and both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. My tsv swimsuits arrived and I am very happy with them..I am contemplating keeping both but need to check my budget.

My key board decided to split so it took me a few minutes to get it back to normal.

we had our front door painted..live the color it is a desert rust..very warm.  V even likes it.

this us another not good day...but that is my life.

Lunda,sorry that yiur dd did not pass. M said that coding is very technical ..she know a fair amount about it because she reviews contracts. Has  b ever thought of working in a school as a para. Is she a people person?. Great news about your Sils promotion, 

claudia. Hope you are having a good Day.

enjoy your evening. 😴😴

Respected Contributor

claudia, I agree that buying from obscure websites is not good. I think a lot of older folks have trouble getting vaccines because sign up is so difficult 

I have volunteered to help people from my church who cannot sign up. 

not traveling is a good idea when you have major projects coming up. 

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you are happy with the new door color, Barbara.  Thas is one of my favorites. 

DD is a people person, and I have always said she is a born teacher.  She did some teaching at a Christian school years ago.  But, she is resisting going into education since jobs at schools are scarce in her area.  In fact, at least two of the women in her class were teachers who had lost their jobs due to classes going on-line.  Perhaps something related will work.  But, I think she wants to avoid the trauma of a class like she just took.  I think there is some sort of on-line open house for the college later this week or next, and she may attend.

Forgot to mention that I sent an e-mail to the head of the Caregivers group to let her know that I have decided not to attend any more in-person group meetings when they start up again next week.  I will keep in touch with the Caregivers I know (and hopefully go out to lunch, etc. with them).  But, I think the time is past for me to be helpful to new Caregivers.

Nice of you to help out those with computer issues.  I know many "seniors" have problems with doing things on-line, including registering for vaccines.

Respected Contributor

ImRe: Reformed shopaholics week of April 8

I'm glad you're pleased with the door color and are pleased with the swimsuits, Barbara.

Locally our Area Agency on Aging is helping to schedule seniors. Its good of you to volunteer to help those people not computer savvy.

It's a shame she didn't pass the test but  I think she will find something better suited to her, Linda.

What good news for your SIL. 

Another pretty nice day here. The front yard is mowed. R initially tried to do it but had to stop after 2 rows. We have possible snow forecast tomorrow night into Wednesday.

It appears the porches and roofs won't get started till September unless there's a cancellation. We havent received the other estimates. We have the funds now and that will let us get more put aside. I'm not averse to spacing the projects out if the chance comes to do the smaller porch sooner. I need to pick out the color for the porches. I told R of the 3 price ranges we should pick the middle one that had a 30 year warranty. The 50 year one isn't necessary.

Of course in looking at colors online for Timber tech I picked out the most expensive with the 50 year warranty first. There's A nice color in the midrange though. Not too dark and not too light.

I'm still telling myself we won't go to my niece's wedding due to the cost and the upcoming projects. The back porch will take the longest due to its size and we might need to board the dogs as long as a month. Gulp.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  I hope you get some more estimates, Claudia.  But, this contractor sounds like a winner -- having so much business lined up is a good sign.  I agree with you about picking the mid-range rather than higher or lower, and I'm glad you found one you might like.  Certainly hope you don't need to board the dogs for so long.  

Hope your weather wasn't too bad today, and you and R are feeling okay. 

Fingers crossed you felt better today, Barbara.

As you may have seen on the other thread, my friend Bev may be facing more cancer issues.  At least she isn't in pain at the moment.  

Our weather was very nice today, but they are calling for strong winds an very low humidity tomorrow.  That could result in fires.  

The vegan group is meeting this evening, and I hope to eat dinner earlier than normal.  Otherwise, it will be later than usual.  

My "Newcomers" friend who is moving back to Wyoming called me to say her official goodbyes today.  I didn't realize that she had given up driving after she almost hit a motorcyclist.  She just didn't see him.  Fortunately, he was not injured (as I understand it), but she caused him to swerve, and it was so upsetting she decided no more driving.  She is five years older than me, and I have to admit that I am worried about needing to give up driving when I am older.  I have decided I will just figure things out as I go.  Her husband is taking care of the driving now.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda