Respected Contributor

Reformed shopaholics. Week of August 30

Good morning..it is going to be another lovely day here. Nothing planned, as usual.

V couldn't find his phone last night and of course his Find my phone app was not activated. m and syd searched everywhere to no success.  He finally found it in the recliner..it had slipped Dow between the cushions and side. 😖😖

LindA..interesting story about your mom and more so that you did not know it until now. I have a ton of family history from both sides, as does v. I have to get that summary to my brothers.  Hope dds puppy is feeling better. And gad your dgd is doing better also.

There was quite the monsoon storm in our area of Az last night. The rain is badly needed.

Claudia..if r did not fee like it, hope he stayed home.Glad the kitty was ok. 

have a good day. 🥰🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reformed shopaholics. Week of August 30

Good Morning/Afternoon!  We are having much cooler weather and have a chance of storms again today.  I am not complaining since we really need the rain.  Also, I am happy that it is cooler.  We had storms yesterday, but they were not strong monsoons like those in your AZ area, Barbara.  Glad V has his phone back.  I have lost mine like that in the past -- not fun.

That is a funny story about Jinx, Claudia.  Like Barbara, I hope R didn't go on his shoot if he wasn't feeling well.  It turned out that it was DD's dishwasher, and she ended up buying a new one yesterday.  As you may read on the other thread, she had trouble finding the brand she prefers, but this one was available much sooner than the other.  The new procedure is that they deliver the dishwasher, and then the plumber calls to set up an appointment to install the new one and take away the old one.  Hopefully, she will have the new one in a week to ten days.

My memory of childhood things is poor, Barbara.  I knew that my Mom's Mother died when she was young, but I didn't realize she was that young.  And, my Mom didn't talk about her Mother very much.  When her mother died, my Mom was shipped off to live with an Aunt(?) in Michigan, and I don't know when she was able to rejoin her Father and brothers.  Then, they moved to DC, and my Grandfather married another lady with two girls.  I think in those days, some stepmothers didn't go overboard for their stepchildren, and one of the stepsisters really didn't like my Mom.  Like I said, she didn't have an easy childhood.  

I had a lot of trouble getting into my virtual church service today, but it was good.  No exciting plans at all.  

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. DH's older granddaughter turned 17 yesterday -- wow!

Respected Contributor

R headed out to his shoot before I got downstairs this morning. At least he took a thermos of coffee with him.

I managed 3 loads of wash. I still have one to put away. I had hoped to trim behind the garage but we got some rain. Maybe I can get to it tomorrow.

I suspected the dishwasher was the problem, Linda. It's a shame many appliances are in short supply. Good for your CD opting for the brand that could be delivered soonest. 

I heard there were a lot of computer problems this morning. That could be why you had trouble connecting to your church service.

R has misplaced his phone, Barbara. I usually call his number and we find it that way. Sometimes though he's had it turned off or it's been in the car. One time we visited his half sister. Partway home he realized he didn't have it. After searching the car we headed back to his half sister's and found it on the couch.The funny thing was that he said during the visit that he left it in the car.

Wish him luck. He's started putting the walker together with Tippy's help.

Ay yi yi. He isn't assembling it now. He opened the box, took everything out, opened the plastic bags just to see if everything was there. Now he has to put it all back in the box or someplace safe.

Jinx must have stayed home today. I saw no sign of him.

Isn't it amazing how time speeds up and grandchildren get older? Jamie turned 18 last week. Dylan will be 17 February.

Respected Contributor

we had a couple of good downpours last night and it is much cooler today. It feels like a fall day. I am gearing up for the heat in Az.

I am meeting a friend for drinks and apps this afternoon..that should be fun. Tomorrow is lunch vs bil so I have 2 days in a row of things to get me out of the house. 

Linda..that is too bad dd has to have her dishwasher replaced. I wonder if the shortages are a regional thing because I have not heard of that problem here. I realize that I am fortunate to have good family records. Glad your weather is cooler. 

Claudia..hoper gets his walker together. V is so technically impaired..he deleted all of his messages and his contacts. Yikes. Men...

have a good day.😘😘

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  We just had a very nice burst of rain.  Hope we continue to have rain today since we really need it.  And, it is cooler, which is great.  They are predicting a return to the hotter and dryer temperatures later this week, Barbara.  Hope it won't be too bad when you get back.

Pretty sneaky of R to go out before you even got up, Claudia.  Sounds like you took advantage of the time to do laundry, etc.  I am amazed at the age of your grands too.  Trying not to feel too old, but.....  I have to admit sometimes I have been guilty of unpacking something and deciding I wasn't ready to put it together at that time.  Hope that R got his walker assembled today.

Glad you are getting out of the house for some fun, Barbara.  My Mom gave me some information about her Father's side of the family -- her Aunt? was a member of the DAR, so they had to show how they descended from someone who fought in the Revolution.  I did a little research myself when I went to her home town in Ohio (about 15 years ago), and looked up information in the library.  Her grandfather (Father's father) was a sort of "big deal" in the town -- a physician and so was her Dad (bank and newspaper).  There wasn't much information about her Mother.  

Sorry V wiped out his contacts and messages.  Not sure about the availability of appliances in Arizona.  You may be quite right about it being a regional problem.

DGD has another ear infection, but is doing better otherwise.  DD is finally able to have her laser treatments this week since things are a little calmer.  She suspects second DGS has a girlfriend, which is very pleasing to her.  Not sure since she only overheard something he said to his brother.  He and her DIL are coming to dinner tomorrow night, and this is the first day oldest DGS is at his new job.  Hope that goes well.

I had read about a different walk exercise series (Jessica Smith), and tried one on You Tube today -- I think it is a bit much for me, so I will probably stick to Leslie Sansone most of the time.  

As you may have read on the other thread, I have been sorting through things in anticipation of my carpet installation on Wednesday.  Not as good as moving, but it did motivate me to trash and declutter a little bit.

Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. Any new Linea coming your way, Claudia?  I liked the tartan blazer, but did not order it due to my excess and lack of activity outside the house.

Respected Contributor

just returned from lunch and some errands. We got our flu shots..I had to wait for a couple of weeks after my infusion. The recommendation is to get itvesrly this year.

We had a nice visit with my bil and his so. She was my sister-in-law's roommate in college and had move back from Texas to Mn a few years ago. When she found out how bad my sil was from Alzheimer's, she volunteered to help care for her. She is a very lovely person and I am glad they have each other.

i had a great visit with my friend yesterday..it was a perfect day to be outside.

Hope everyone is having a good day.💖💖

Respected Contributor

Yesterday I posted a long post. It showed it posted but there's no sign of it now.

I'm glad you enjoyed lunch, Barbara and had a good visit with your bil and his so.she sounds like a very kind person.

Linda, I hope the carpet is installed on schedule.

Keeping this short in case it disappears. Walker is still not together. R had a bad night and is not doing well today. Orthopedist said lab work showed bacteria in the urine so he is on cipro. He just had some chicken broth.urine

Yes, I ordered the tartan blazer in pine along with the floral blouse and faux suede skirt. His fall styles and colors are usually favorites with me.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Glad you had a nice time yesterday and today, Barbara.  I'm also glad your BIL found such a nice woman to keep him company after the death of his wife.  I was thinking about getting my flu shot soon, but I am concerned that I might have a nasty reaction like I did last year (not sure if that was due to the flu shot or not) that resulted in my needing to stay in bed for several days.  Maybe next week after the carpet installation is done.

Our weather is very nice -- still cooler than normal with a chance of rain.  Wish they weren't predicting the return of the hot and dry weather later in the week, but.....

Very sorry R isn't feeling well and has an infection, Claudia.  Hope he feels better soon. I think all three of your Linea items are lovely.  I was reading another thread that said that some people are not ordering his things since he isn't on the Q any more.  That seems like a silly reason to me since you can always see him on the internet, but......  

The carpet installers called to say they will be here between 8 and 10 tomorrow morning, so I am pretty busy trying to empty as much as possible from the two rooms.  Really trying to lift things properly so I don't hurt my back.  

It has been a very quiet day again, but that is okay.  I watched an on-line concert from the ladies who are in Michigan for the summer.  They are very good and entertaining.  It is a shame they have no paid performances for the whole summer, but I guess that isn't uncommon.

Hope both of you, your husbands and furbabies have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

it s another pretty day here..I am guessing our hot days are over..it has been very fall like. I am preparing myself for the heat in Phoenix.  I read an article today which talked about the very hot Az summer. It was predicting that living in the desert is going to become more difficult.

I have no Robles with my flu shot. I get the regular one because I had a bad reaction to the senior shot. My dr. Said that was fine...you might want to think about that, Linda because you were sick last year.

i read on the ther thread that you carpet installation is moving along.,what color di you get?? I am reading the book "Caste" and it is a fascinating read about race . I would highly recommend it. We have had some discussions at dinner about race. Sydnie is much more secure than m ever was..she is very proud of being brown.

Claudia..hope r is feeling better.He needs to be well for his surgery. 

Tomorrow, I am going to take Syd out for lunch. There is a nice restaurant with outdoor seating that we both like.

i am making packing lists...arghh.

Take care 🥰🥰

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope R is doing okay, Claudia.  I can't remember when he is having his surgery -- tomorrow?  I certainly hope all goes well, and the walker will be ready for him when he needs it.  

The new hospice volunteer coordinator sent an e-mail offering some other possible jobs (not visiting patients, but....), and he said that this is supposed to be the hottest summer Tucson has had since they started keeping records.  Not the best time to move here, but hopefully things will improve.  At least there were not as many bugs on my walk this morning.  But, I am not looking forward to the excessive heat warning starting on Friday.  

Glad you are enjoying the weather there, Barbara.  I may just ask about the possibility of the regular flu shot.  I usually just follow the recommendation of the pharmacist, but I am thinking maybe the regular shot would be better after my experience last year.  

Thanks for the book recommendation.  I think I will go ahead and buy it for my Kindle.  I had read the authors earlier book in an OLLI class, and I was so impressed with her research and writing.  I loaned the book to my senior lunch program buddy, and she was impressed as well.  I was thinking about holding out until it was less expensive, but this is a good time for me to start a new book, plus I am very interested in the subject matter.. My church has started a series of discussions/readings on race, but I have not signed up

Good that Syd is happy being brown.  I think things have really changed over the years with many people being more tolerant and supportive of diversity than in the past.  Still a lot of progress is needed.  

The carpet is a sort of mixed beige -- I think it is called tea leaves.  It is a little lighter than I remembered, but very pretty.  And, it goes well with the wall color (very pale peach).  

The installers were so nice -- Oscar senior and junior.  The son came a bit late because he was in school.  I asked, and he is majoring in some sort of engineering.  

I have moved quite a bit back into place, but I think about 1/3 or more is sitting in the living room, Arizona room, etc.  I don't want to push myself too much. 

DD said that second DGS said that he needs to learn how to cook, and he might want to have his friend over for dinner.  He admitted that he and Christine? are seeing one another.  DD is thrilled.  

Hugs,

Linda