Respected Contributor

Reformed Shopaholics week of September 5

It is a lovey morning..another day of perfect weather.  I always miss the beginning of school. I worked a year round contract, but the first day with my naughty kids was always memorable. Now I live vicariously through myb2 educators .

Sydnie has some cute clothes to start school. The newest in style is knee length plaid skirts with sweater vests and white shirts. She is more of a style maven than I realized.

I am coaching v to sit higher in bed for a few minutes ata time. He managed to turn on his stomach yesterday which he said felt good. It remains a long process.

I am hoping my fatigue dissipates after my infusion.

I just did a grocery pick up...that is such aneasyway to shop.

enjoy. 🌻🌻

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reformed Shopaholics week of September 5

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Barbara.  Glad your weather is nice.  It is 93 degrees and mostly sunny here.  Pretty normal temperatures for this area, but I would prefer it to be slightly cooler. 

Although I was only a teacher for a very brief time, I still get excited about the start of school.  Taking OLLI classes helps, but I miss the excitement of buying school supplies (for me, DD, or my grands), plus looking (sometimes buying) new clothes and shoes.  I can certainly understand your missing it.

Syd's outfits sound nice.  I used to really like plaid skirts.  Of course, most of those were wool or wool blends.  Do you remember Pendleton?  I couldn't afford them when I was in school, but was very happy to be able to do so when I was working.   By the way, I wore skirts/dresses the majority of time when I was working.  Toward the end, I wore pants most Fridays, but most other women at work wore pants and/or jeans all the time.

Glad you are able to help V -- sounds like he is really trying to get better.  I know it is slow, but his trying is important, and it is great you are able to coach him.

Really hope your infusion helps with the fatigue.  I enjoy grocery pick-up so much that I hope it is continued as a free service forever (even after COVID if that ever goes away).

As you may see on the other thread, I received my Kim Gravel jeans today.  What a shock.  I like them -- a little larger and longer than normal, but I am a bit thinner than I would like.  Certainly not that much larger/longer.  I had seen a Postal Service truck go by, but never thought they would be delivering something to me on a Sunday.  I did pre-order, but not that far in advance.

As you may remember, you suggested that I try the steel cut oats in the crockpot, and I did so the night before last.  It tasted fine -- different than oatmeal, but good.

All went well at the gym -- not too crowded, but I wore a mask most of the time.  

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay, Claudia.  Sorry he had trouble with his crossbow.  Good luck with the porches and the weeds.  They are still a big issue around here.

Have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

• I'm sure V felt better turning on his stomach for a bit. Just a change of position is a relief, Barbara. He's making progress a bit at a time.

School started here last week. starting this next week masks are to be worn in all schools plus daycares. Today it was in the mid 80's  and we had some rain.

When I started at my office there was no real dress code. Unfortunately some took advantage. One co- worker wore jeans with large holes plus he wore worn out sneakers. When they came up with a dress code we couldn't wear open toed shoes or jeans or tee shirts. I forget the other restrictions.

I do have one plaid skirt I purchased last year. Last one I had was 4th grade. I remember my aunt and grandfather took me on a trip to New England. It had a very full skirt. When mother and dad took their first trip to England and Scotland she brought back plaid skirts for each of us. Sadly she didn't take into consideration the difference in sizing and none fit. One ended up fitting a friend of mine.

I'm glad the jeans fit, Linda. I hope mine fit when they arrive.

Respected Contributor

Happy Labor Day..when I walked into vs room,he told me that he sat up today for about 3 minutes. he was not straight but rather curled over..but he did make it up. Yippee ..big step forward.

I am soooooo happy. 

Linda, I did not remember that you taught school. And yes, I remember Pendleton pleated skirts.  One christmas when I was in high school, I got one that was reversible . I wore that past college.

Claudia...hope yiur day is going well.

V and I are splitting dinner tonight,  the food is not terrible. 

sleep well.😍😍

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  DD said their weather in Maryland was great -- not hot or humid.  They were planning to grill hamburgers, etc. for dinner.  

Very long story, but one of the daughters of one of DH's friends constantly posts on FB.  She has two kids (with ex husband) and she and her husband have two boys. Anyway, they live in PA and the local school board totally opposed wearing masks.  She decided to homeschool the two youngest since one had asthma.  Anyway, with the change from the State, the school board sent out a message with ideas how to avoid having your kids wear a mask (homeschooling, getting a doctor's note, etc.)  She is disgusted.  I hope that is just in her particular area.  As far as I know, masks are not required in Arizona except in county buildings like the library.  

Interesting about your plaid skirt experience, Claudia.  

Very happy to hear about V's progress, Barbara.  Glad you can have dinner with him.  I only taught three semesters (one class -- criminology) in community college. While I really admire teachers, and hoped to be one, those classes made me realize that teaching was not a good choice for me.  I was just too shy.

Hope all is well with you, R, and your furbabies, Claudia, and both of you have a nice evening.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Oh happy day, Barbara! V sitting up is big news. I hope he was as thrilled about this step as you.

R decided to cut his hair. Didn't tell me. He ended up shaving his head. I am not pleased. I'm haven't decided if he looks like Mr. Clean or a pirate (as half his upper teeth are missing). If he's Mr. Clean he'd better start cleaning. I wish.

It's been a typical day here. It rained overnight.  I got some laundry done and took the garbage out front. Also put my niece's birthday card in the mail.

Linda, I'm glad your DD and family are enjoying the wonderful weather. R has taken the propane tank off the grill in preparation for taking everything off the back porch. Somehow I have the feeling I'm going to be roped in to help carry it down the back steps.

I hope it wasn't too hot in your area.

By this time of day any energy I had has left. Have a good evening and rest well.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. I am visiting v and he is in pain from yesterday so is not moving around a lot. Little steps forward. 

I forget how beautiful the weather is here at this time of year. Trees are starting to turn early because of the drought conditions. 

I feel as if I have been hit by a truck today..that will pass after tye infusion.

The living room had clothes scattered all over..apparently Sydnie could not decide what to wear. 

Linda..fingers crossed that you have good weather for your trip.Do you use hiking poles on trips that have a lot of hiking in them?. I was very shy as a child, but got over that half way through high school., when I taught at the U of M, I enjoyed it so much because no one had to be disclipine

Claudia..v wears his hair very short..a good army cut. v3 has shaved his head since college.lol.Lived yiur comment about Mr Clean. Hope you got the porch cleared off.

Have a good rest of the day.😍😍

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Funny comments about R's haircut, Claudia.  DH was mostly bald, but (until his illness) wore a ball cap that showed the little hair that he had so you didn't notice it too much.  I guess I am a fan of hair (not too long) on men.  Hope you get the porch cleared off, and you don't hurt yourself doing so.  Also hope you, R, and your furbabies are okay today.

Sounds like very nice weather there, Barbara.  I loved Fall in Maryland and really miss it.  Hope V is stronger tomorrow, and you can hang in there until your infusion.

I have those poles, but I never took them with me on a trip.  For one thing, I really don't know how to use them properly.  Also, I don't want to add to my luggage.  Hopefully, the hiking won't be too difficult.  If not, I am prepared to sit some out.

I think the current weather in Utah is out of the ordinary for this time of the year.  Really hope it is cooler on my trip.  I may pack a short-sleeve shirt just in case it is still so hot.

DD was told she still cannot schedule her State certification test yet, so she will keep calling until she is. 

Very quiet here, which is okay.  I have a vegan Zoom meeting this evening.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- I forgot to mention a scary story.  One of my older nephew's friends (and roommate) developed a serious eye problem, and went to the local VA office (they live in the country and the closest city is Tulsa, OK).  Anyway, they sent him to Oklahoma City, and it was determined that he has a serious infection and would need daily treatments for a week.  He could not stay at the hospital or their care facilities nearby due to COVID.  Long story short, my nephew ended up getting a motel room near the VA hospital, and drives him for the treatment.  My nephew also needs to drive to his horse ranch to care for his animals.  I didn't realize that things were so bad in OK as far as COVID goes.  So difficult for others who have different medical issues.   

Respected Contributor

I too hope V is better tomorrow, Barbara.  Also hope your infusion date is soon and it's effective.

I had a call from my friend Bev this morning. It seems her mother (who will be 90 this week) fell again and one of her caregivers found her on arrival. Luckily she had not been on the floor long but off she went to the hospital where  she had all kinds of tests and ivs. Dot is now in the same nursing home she was in after breaking her hip. Even the same room. Bev can only visit at the window 2 times a week. She was also confused and Bev mentioned she has been sleeping deeply when she naps which I think isn't a good sign.

I stopped at 2 grocery stores and the post office this afternoon. I wanted to vacuum upstairs but my get up and go has left. Griffin's ear is bothering him again so I'll be calling our vet tomorrow morning.

Adam called just as we were finishing supper. All seems well with him though work is busy. Like everywhere else they are dealing with the worker shortage.

One of his cats - Zeus (one of Miss Boots kittens) found anew hiding place. He got on top of the refrigerator and from there opened a cupboard door and went in. Adam only discovered it because he saw him coming out. Zeus is not small. He's probably 18 pounds.

R's hair was getting too long. I really wish he'd gone to a barber but...

I hope the Zoom meeting went well and your DD is able to schedule her test, Linda. Your trip is getting closer. Utah is beautiful.

It's a shame your nephew's friend had so much difficulty. Hopefully his eye problem has resolved. A number of cities have a Fisher House where veterans and their families can stay and there's transport to the VA hospital nearby. Adam is outside Tulsa.

He said Pepsi products are in short supply where he is at due to lack of employees. He heard they were offering a starting pay of $16 with bonuses.

Meanwhile I noticed our gas prices went up 10¢ a gallon since Monday. I also heard yesterday we had 3 Covid deaths.

I hope you have a nice evening. 9 pm here. I think it's time for bed. My brain tells me if its dark out I should go to bed. Lol.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope V was better today, Barbara, and you are "hanging in there" until you can get your infusion. 

At the vegan Zoom meeting the leader shared part of a video from a medical doctor who has had great success in treating Lupus through diet.  She had lupus with a very poor outlook in her late teens (I think), and figured this out pretty much on her own.  And, she shared stories and pictures of several others she has helped.  I wish that this was known years ago when my MIL and a work friend had lupus.  It is an extreme diet (mostly green smoothies), but worked for these people at least.  It would be wonderful if they found something that worked for your RA.

Interesting about Adam, Claudia.  One of my dogs found very good hiding places, and I panicked more than once trying to find her.  But Zeus is something else.  Hope R is doing okay, and you got some rest last night.

As you may see on the other thread, I finally got through to the right person at my doctor's office.  Hopefully, she will get the ball rolling for my Prolia shot. 

DD finally has an appointment to take her test next Monday afternoon.  It is supposed to last about four hours, and no breaks are allowed without the monitor saying it is okay.  She needs to have a camera focused on her the whole time, no one else can come in the room, she cannot leave without permission, has to show her wrists, ears, etc to the camera so they can make sure she doesn't have any notes or ear device, etc., etc.  No phones, computers, you name it. Quite strict rules, and if the monitor thinks anything is out of order, they cut you off.  Then, you need to take the test in person.  The locations for the in person tests are not near where she lives, so DD hopes this will work.  My SIL is taking off work in the afternoon so that he can take care of the dogs, etc. 

I called and arranged for transportation to the airport.  The driver told me that fewer and fewer people are traveling due to COVID.  Fingers crossed I will be okay.

No sodas for me, so I didn't know about the Pepsi shortages, Claudia.  I do know that lots of businesses are having trouble finding workers.  I don't think our gasoline prices went up much as of yesterday, but who knows.

A DVD I put on hold at the library is ready, so I guess I will go to pick it up.  

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. My SIL's company is changing health insurance companies for next year, and DD is quite happy with the change since the one they have now is not good at all.