Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reformed Shopaholics week of May 9

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope Gryff is okay, Claudia.  Glad you found a place for R to do his PT.  I asked DD, and she said she doesn't buy gasoline often, but had not noticed an increase in price.  But, her car was in the shop, so there was no reason to look for gas.

Unfortunately, they found that her shock absorbers (I think) need to be replaced, and the repair will cost $1,300 or so.  I think she was picking up the car because they need to order the parts before she takes it in for repair.  I was listening to a radio report that this is not a good time to buy a car -- new or used due to scarcity and higher prices.  So, I guess it is better just to get the repairs done.

She has not heard from the third company, but I think they are only giving them until tomorrow or Friday before making a decision.  

On the positive side, she and my SIL have been cleared by their doctor to get the COVID vaccine.  However, he wants them to get the J&J vaccine, and none is available in Maryland at this time.  He is hoping to get the vaccine so that he can give it to them, but it may take another few weeks.  Meanwhile, youngest DGS who has all sorts of allergies and carries an epi pen at all times, is waiting for his allergist to get the vaccine.  She thinks it will be safer to give the vaccine so she can observe his reaction.

Sorry you are not feeling well Barbara.  With those temperatures and air quality numbers it doesn't sound like a good day to go out.

The pizza lunch was very nice, but as you may see on the other thread, Bev is facing another decision about chemo for one of her kidneys.   She is still looking very good, which is something her doctor mentioned.

One of the ladies at the lunch is 90 years old -- had breast cancer surgery and chemo at age 75, but still going strong.  

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good idea to stay in, Barbara. It sure isn't pleasant feeling like the tin man.

You're right, Linda. This is not a good time to buy a car. I'm glad your DD doesn't need to. I didn't realize your DGS needed to carry an epic pen. Hopefully they can get their vaccines soon.

I'm glad you enjoyed lunch. Your friend Bev  has a tough decision.

Griffyn is doing ok. I just need to keep reminding R to only let him be out briefly. I don't want him running around. 

I did way too much today. R has had trouble with the tv. No sound on one of the channels. He set up for a technician to come tomorrow morning not realizing he'd be gone part of the time for pt. Lucky me. I get to be here. I told R I just cannot pick up any more tonight. Fingers crossed I get up early enough to finish picking up. R has done a bit. Otherwise what gets done gets done.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..it is 101 right now. I went to get the mail and pick up a package, then stooped to talk to my friend who is a pool monitor.She has good shade set up with a portable ac unit, so it was ok to be outside. I doubt if I go to the pool today.

I was able to do all of my pt exercises today. I finally got an appt with a urologist after my insurance was changed from Medicare.. Very few docs here take straight Medicare. It is with his Pa , which does not thrill me but I am trying to have an open mind.

Linda...interesting that yiu heard nw is not the tome to buy a car. When I chatted with the manger of our dealership at home, he said there will be some good deals after July 4.  Lol..we shall see.Your friend has some decisions to make. My friend who died 2 years ago did chemo, until his oncologist said there was no point, 

Claudia..hope you fell better today. I am very prone to do too much mst days and I pay for it, At least there is little to pick up here. 

pepper is almost down to 11 pounds...because Syd is giving her no droppings.

have a good rest of yiur day.

😎😎🌕

Respected Contributor

I think it reached 70° today. We had a phone call from the technician. They feel it is not a problem with the provider and contacted the company. He will call back when he knows more. It seems multiple people complained of the same problem.

Overnight our gas prices increased by 10¢ a gallon . I'm not surprised. At least the local stations aren't out of gas.

I remember my mother, (a former RN) saying she often felt the PAs more knowledgeable, Barbara.

R had pt today and the therapist said he felt a knot in the back of his neck.

Good for Pepper though I'm sure she'd like droppings. 

Linda, I hope your area is not as hot as Barbara's and you got your deliveries done.

I'm trying to take it easy today and not do too much. With luck I'll get to bed early tonight.

Have a good evening.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry you overdid it yesterday, Claudia.  Hope you are feeling better today, and the TV problem was taken care of.  DD said the price of gasoline had gone up a little, but no problem with supply in her area.

Maybe things will be better in the car market in July, Barbara.  The reason for the shortage/higher prices is the scarcity of chips that are used in cars and many other products.  Some car manufacturers have reduced production due to the shortage.  Others are concentrating their efforts on making more expensive cars (SUVs and trucks, etc.) since they make more money on them, and there is such a chip shortage.  According to what I heard on the radio, people are paying full price and even over the price to get cars, and this shortage has resulted in higher prices for used cars as well.  Anyway, hopefully, your dealer is correct about July. 

The parts for DD's car won't be available for a while and there are some other complications, so she isn't having the work done until the 24th.  The car is drivable, but probably not very comfortable with the shock issue.

Glad you were able to do your PT exercises and have an appointment with a urologist.  I thought you were keeping insurance you had in MN -- maybe I missed something.  I have heard that not many doctors want to accept regular Medicare without a supplement of some sort.  

Really hot there.  It "only" made it to 97 degrees here, but my car thermometer said 102 degrees.  Very hot when I did the hospice deliveries.

Good news about Pepper's weight.  

I saw the hospice chaplain when I went to pick up supplies, and we had a nice, if brief, chat.  We had just heard the news about masks and were very happy.  I am not giving my masks up yet, especially when I do my hospice deliveries or go to the grocery store.  But, it is starting to feel like perhaps things are getting better.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- missed your post, Claudia.  Sounds like the gas situation is similar to that in DD's area.  Interesting about the TV problem.  Hope you are able to get to bed early, and the knot the therapist found in R's neck doesn't prove to be too much of a problem.  I think I have only been to a PA once or twice and found them to be competent.

Respected Contributor

itis still morning..found out yesterday that I have some kind of UTI.. inhave antibiotics to pick up, which v is going to do for me. This may change what the urologist does next Thursday ..but I do not feel super. This will be a quiet day. Arghhh

Another hot day..102 🥵🥵

Linda..I had heard that finding chips was an issue for car manufacturing,,we will have to see what is available. 
I have a Medicare advantage plan. What happened was that my pcp did not have my current insurance info so it went to Medicare by mistake.  I love my plan because it covers my costs well.

Hope dd gets her car fixed.

Claudia..hope yiur day is going well. I read where the cost of lumber has increased by 250 % I think I mentioned that the contractor who is doing their addition is waiting until fall, hoping the prices will go down

have a great day.

🥵🥵

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you aren't feeling well, Barbara.  Hope the antibiotic helps with the UTI.  Thanks for the explanation about the insurance.  DD had an issue with one of my SIL's doctor sending their claim to the wrong insurance company.  Of course, it was denied, and they sent a bill for $6,000 or so.  When DD called, they grudgingly agreed to send it to the correct insurance company, and they owed nothing.  Glad they straightened things out for you.

As you may have read on the other thread, DD and my SIl have appointments for the COVID vaccine next week.  DD had her first belly dancing class yesterday evening (good class), and one of the fellow students (government official) knew all about it, and suggested how to get an appointment.  

She and my SIL decided to go ahead with the second contractor since the third one didn't get back to them.  Now to wait to get on the schedule.  She should hear something next Monday.

If all goes well, they will ask for an estimate on adding insulation to the attic.  

Meanwhile, they took the two dogs to the groomer today.  Hope they were happy with the results.

Very quiet around here. 

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It's too bad you have to deal with an uti, Barbara. I hope you start feeling better with the antibiotic.

R got himself new boots with some kind of metal on the bottom. They are the size of thumb tacks. Smh. We went out for a fish dinner and he nearly skidded across the floor there. At least he's decided not to wear them out. Last night he tried on another pair of boots. Cheap flimsy laces and an upper portion that needed buckled which he couldn't do. At one point I told him when I got shoes or boots I made sure I was able to get them on and off myself.

I'm glad your DD and SIL are scheduled now for their vaccines, Linda. We never got an estimate from our third contractor either.

I never did get to bed early last night. It took ages to get last night's boots off. Maybe tonight will be better. I picked some plants up this afternoon along with some local maple syrup.

One of the new cat scratching posts arrived and I was able to put it together. When I took it upstairs I discovered Spookit. She likes the cat bed behind the bathroom door. She's been using it often. Somehow a claw got caught in the bed and she didn't or couldn't retract the claw. She had dragged it out of the bathroom into the hallway and there she sat totally disgusted. I managed to detach her from it.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon..I have nothing to do..lol..Everything is clean, laundry is done, no clutter, ..lol.  I am making a list of clothes to take, which. Keep revising.  

my zuda order went to back order so I cancelled it. I found the same items on their website for just a bit more. Interesting. 

Linda glad yiur dd and sil are getting vaccinated...as I said I know there is a waiting period if one has had COVID. Grooming dogs is so important unless they are short haired..it is quite warm here..I hope to get to the pool tomorrow.

Claudia..why would r buy boots with slippery soles?. Yiu do not have to answer that.The story about Sppokit getting her claw caught was something. Glad you could get her undone. M caught Pepper trying to drag one of her beds upstairs.

She has a terrible neighbor.He came out and accused her of mowing some of his lawn. The previous owner has a big privacy fence in the back right on the property line.When Syd had her bonfire, he complained about them stepping on his property. It is pretty unbelievable...he would not want to tangle with me.

have a good rest of the day.😍😍

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Hope R doesn't have any more boot/shoe problems, Claudia.  DH was so frugal that he would buy used shoes at the White Elephant.  Some didn't quite fit, and others wore out quickly.  I always sprayed them with disinfectant, etc., but I really didn't approve of used shoes unless it was an economic necessity.

Hope you were able to get some rest last night, and no more problems with the cat(s).

I always have something to do around the house, Barbara.  Just don't always want to do it.  But, I would love to sit and read without feeling guilty about not doing anything more productive.  I think you practice meditation, correct?  I have never been successful, but I am hoping my OLLI class helps since there seem like there are so many benefits.

That is terrible about M's neighbor.  Hope he backs off, and doesn't give her any more trouble.

It is cooler than yesterday, but still plenty warm/hot.  I'm down to shorts and a tank top in the house again.

Nothing exciting going on here.  Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda