Respected Contributor

Reformed Shopaholics week of May 2

Tempis Fugitive as the Romans would have said. I completely forgot about posting yesterday...got involved with a lace pattern that I am knitting..

iam going to the pool in a bit...it is so nice and very few people are there. I am having dinner for our Oregon friends who leave tomorrow. It is a chicken salad that I made yesterday.

Syds very shy guy told her he liked her as she does him so I guess they are bf/Gf.  She is as shy as he is, so it is pretty hilarious.

Linda, so sorry to hear that Bev is terminal. She has been in my prayers for a while. I hope dgd can lose some Weight. Does she have any kind of social life ? M rarely takes time to get together with her friends, but she is on the phone a lot. 

Claudia..hope you are having a good day. Amie is having an addition built on to their home and she said the price increased substantially from the original bid.

98 here today.😎😎

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reformed Shopaholics week of May 2

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Barbara.  It made it to 87 degrees here, but it is extremely windy.  Not good pool weather.  Hope you enjoyed your time at the pool, and your dinner is fun.

Interesting about Syd.  Basically, DGD has no social life other than on-line or via the phone.  DD and I think it would be good for her to get out and meet people in person, but I don't think she is ready to do so -- combination of shyness and not feeling well.

Thanks for your prayers for Bev.  A high school/college friend of mine (Marilyn) who lives in Texas posted on FB that her husband died last week at age 73.  He had a type of Parkinson's for six years, and the past two months were rough.  He had hospice care at home, and she was able to be with him the whole time.  His mother (upper 90's) just passed away last year due to Alzheimer's.  They built an addition on their house so she could live with them, but ended up in a nursing home where she died.   And, I just saw on FB that Judy's (in Canada)  husband died.  Yikes.

There was a problem with our live stream church service.  Don't know if it was due to the wind (it was extremely windy), but just as Communion was about to start, the program ended.  At least I was able to see much of the service.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

It was 80° and sunny today. The rest of the yard is mowed and I got numerous chores done. The cats were very unhappy when I ran the vacuum cleaner. They never get used to it.

Sadly Judy's husband passed away yesterday. Their Israeli son moved up his trip and arrived a couple days ago in time to see him. Cancer is horrible.

I bet Syd and the bf are very cute together.  I hope you enjoyed the pool, Barbara.

Hopefully as your DGD feels better she'll feel more confident and ready to socialize more, Linda. At least you were able to see most of your church service.

R has his yearly checkup tomorrow with his VA doctor.

Have a good evening.

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. V was excited to go to a. I. Person bridge game. He has missed playing a lot. I was going to go to the pool but since our front door is difficult to open, we have to leave the Az room door unlocked. Since the roads are being resurfaced, there are a lit of workers around. I was not comfortable.

the door is getting better but I cannot quite pull it open. This happened last time it was painted.

Linda sorry to hear about all of the deaths.As we age the end of life becomes more obvious. It is too bad about your dgd..I hope she can overcome her shyness and meet some peers. I was very shy growing up, but my parents made sure I had a small peer group. Being younger than everyone in my class made it more difficult .she is in my prayers also. 

inhad to laugh at m. She was complaining about haveig to get Syd to her activities. I reminded her that we had 3 kids who were very active in sports, music and other things. I had to make a calendar . Lol She is going to put Sydnie on her insurance so she can drive herself short distances.I think I mentioned Sydnie iscvery afraid to drive.

I am achy for the first time in quite a few days. 

I cancelled my PT appointment for tomorrow. My knees hurt and walking across Rockies is not the best idea.

Hope your day is going well. 😎😎🌵

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like you got a lot accomplished yesterday, Claudia.  I am glad Judy's son was able to get there before his Dad died.  Hope R's appointment went okay.

Sorry you are achy today, Barbara.  Glad V was able to play bridge in person.  I don't blame you for not wanting to leave the door unlocked.  I guess I am lucky that my front door is unpainted wood, and the side door has only been painted once with no problems.  

Hope Syd gets over her fear of driving.  It is funny that M is complaining about having to drive Syd around.  For a while there, DD spent much of the day driving kids around -- much like your experience. 

Probably a good idea to cancel your appointment tomorrow.

DD was pretty "down" on our call today.  She has a tendency to be more up and down than me -- more like her Dad in that way.  I think a variety of things went wrong, but most notable was that DGD is back to having problems keeping food down.  She is still using the new diet, but.....  Thanks for your prayers for her.

As you may have read on the other thread, it is windy again today.  Not quite as windy, but not great.

DH's DD called yesterday afternoon, and we had a nice talk.  Her older daughter was accepted by a college in New York, but apparently their biology department was not nearly as good as the one at Cal Poly.  The good part is that Cal Poly is much less expensive (since she is a CA resident), and she will be far away enough to live on-campus, but close enough to go back and forth in four hours or so (I think.)  She even is getting a small scholarship or grant. 

DH's DD said that the person who took over her supervisory position at the hospital left (didn't like the boss either).  She will not go back to that job since she doesn't want to be in so much contact with the boss.  Not a great situation, but she has alternatives if things get too bad.  

I called the screen guy since it has been over three weeks since I dropped them off for repair.  He said it was good that I called since he didn't have the proper frames until last weekend, and he had put my order aside.  Since he only works two days a week, he promised to do the work on Wednesday.  So hopefully, I will have my screens back this week.  Soon, it will be too hot to open the windows in any case.

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.  Feel better, Barbara.

Hugs,

Linda  

Respected Contributor

I bet V was thrilled to get back to an in person game, Barbara. I'm sure he missed them. Sorry your knees hurt. It was probably best not to go to pt since you'd have to climb over the rocks.

R's doctor called off today. So 6:30 am we got a call cancelling his appointment. Its rescheduled for next week. Ever since he almost fell and flipped the push mower Saturday evening R has complained about his neck hurting. Then this morning an area was numb. We made the choice to drive up to the VA urgent care rather than wait for his doctor to order x-rays tomorrow. That C-1 vertebrae has never fully healed.

What a day. Rain most of the way. Then waiting for R's turn. I couldn't go in with him so sat in the car except for a quick trip to the local Wegmans and bought 2 planters of pansies. We left at 10:30 this morning and didn't get home till after 7. We did stop for a quick supper on the way home.

R's x-rays were good. They think it's a sprained muscle. He has some pills and lidocaine patches. The instructions for the patches say "do not chew or swallow". Unbelievable. Smh.

Linda, I'm sorry your DGD is having trouble keeping food down again. I'm sure she and your DD are very frustrated.

Your DH's  granddaughter made a good choice choosing the school that was closer with a better biology department. The lower cost is a plus.

I hope you get the screens back this week.

Respected Contributor

The street is being worked on and it is quite noisy. We are maybe 10 feet from the street compared to the 50 or 60 feet in the Mn homes. 

I am doing odds and ends ..there is no reorganization to do...as I said, except for a few bags of clothes, everything I do not want is gone.

Linda..sorry dd was down yesterday...Do you think dgd might be depressed?  I am not being intrusive, but some of the things you describe make me wonder,...I am sure your dd is well aware.,

linda that is great that dhs dgd chose Cal Poly...it is excellent.

Good idea to eat ice cream inside ,hope you get your screens . I am going to watch tye singing ladies soon.

Claudia..that was a long day yesterday.,it will be 95 today...I cannot get to the pool

Enjoy your day. 🌝🌝🚑

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am down to the last bin of summer clothes and still haven't found last year's summer pjs. What the heck did I do with them?

Barbara, we are about 12' from the street. Griffyn hears everything.

R's neck still hurts. The lidocaine patches kept coming loose so I bought some stretchy gauze tape that I put around his neck to keep it in place.

Thinking back I realized that not only did he nearly flip himself and the push mower he also moved the large pots his 2 trees are in onto a dolly. Smh.

Linda, it sounds like a good day to enjoy your ice cream inside.  It reached the mid 70's here and rained a bit. I think tomorrow will be our last bit of rain for a while.

We signed the estimates and mailed them back today. Hopefully prices won't increase between now and mid September.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  You certainly had a long day yesterday, Claudia.  Hope you are able to find the missing PJ's.  How frustrating.  Also hope R feels better -- sounds like he overdid it a bit.  Really hope the prices are not much higher (if at all higher) than the estimates.

DD bought the door, lock, and paint today.  She contacted the man who said he would do the work, and he just said okay -- nothing about when he might do the work.  Meanwhile, she received an estimate from the other contractor for the door, outside painting, etc. that was much less than the painting alone estimates she had received in the past.  She called another painting contractor so she will have three bids.  Meanwhile, the original contractor has never gotten back to her, and it has been at least three weeks.  

It was very noisy when they were working on our street too, Barbara.  In tact, I thought someone was drilling into the house or the house next door at one point.  Even in the Arizona room which is as far from the street as you can go, it was very loud.  Glad the really noisy part only lasted a day. 

Your weather continues to be hotter than ours, but it is pretty hot here.  Bev and I ate indoors, but it was so chilly we sat outside and talked for a while.  We had a very good discussion.

Yesterday evening, a friend of mine who is in CA with her daughter called and we talked for a long time.  It was 10:30 by the time we hung up.  She was having a lot of expensive dental work done (still in process), and discovered something on her neck which turned out to be skin cancer.  Now, she needs to have her daughter put on the medication/bandage because she cannot see it due to the location.  Long story short, she probably won't be back here until the Fall.  I think last summer was the only one where she stayed in Arizona all summer -- she much prefers other locations like CA.

I think DGD is depressed, and I know she is on medication for depression.  But, she doesn't like it when all her health issues are blamed on her mental state.  My SIL had gone through very serious problems with depression in the past, and I think he is on medication.  He went through talk therapy for a while, but I don't think he is now.  DD and I talked about it, but I don't want to pry.  

Today, DD was much more cheerful, and very happy that things seem to be moving as far as the house repairs, etc.  She even stopped off at Ross, and found three dresses that will be perfect for her volunteer work.  The price was great -- all three for less than $60.  She said DGD was doing better.  Youngest DGS went to get a passport -- not sure why, but I think it is a good idea just in case.  

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but my vegan group is meeting this evening.  Can't say that I have accomplished very much, but I did my exercise and a tiny bit of cleaning/organizing.

Wonder if you watched the concert today, Barbara.  Diane talked a lot about teachers, and I thought you would appreciate it.  They are such nice ladies

Hope both of you and your husbands have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Good hot afternoon..right now it is 99 out. If I go to the pool, it will be much later..I do not do intense sun or heat here.

I saw my pa at my rheumatologist..She was nice but not as thorough as a dr. I am still debating changing providers, but need think it through.

Linda..I watched a bit of the concert yesterday..they are quite delightful. 🥰

lLinda...we dealt with a lot of medical stuff with m when she was younger that was real..but her dr always brought her mental health up. I hope things get better soon...hope tye contractors work out for dd.

Claudia, did you find your pjs yet?? I lost my winter ones one year...I replaced them and found the others when I got out my spring clothes.lol..hope r is feeling better.

enjoy your day..I made it tye car ok this morning. The road was open when I came back.,I was happy. 😍😍