Respected Contributor

Reformed Shopaholics week of August 22

I wanted to get the thread started while I had time. It is a lovely day with a hint of fall. We will go back to summer on Tuesday.lol

V continues to improve. Yesterday, he almost sat up with his legs dangling. PT was in on Friday and he will be working hard. returning to Az is the motivation. 

It has been good to have my stress level lifted a bit. He and V3 have had a great visit.

i found out yesterday that my voice coach and friend has been diagnosed with melanoma for the 2nd time. Her husband died of male breast cancer 2 years ago.

Claudia I am wondering if you were affected by the hurricane ??  

Linda. Glad to hear oldest dgs and wife found a new place. I can only imagine the weeds after all of the rain. 

I am working on getting my life back to my normal. It sure has been chaotic.

Sydnie is out turtle hunting with Pepper. Oh my

enjoy. 🌻🌻

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reformed Shopaholics week of August 22

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Barbara.  Glad your weather is nice, and V continues to improve.  Hope you are able to get things back to normal or at least as normal as possible under the circumstances.  Good that V is motivated to get better  and V3's visit has been good.  

What would Syd do with the turtle if she and Pepper found one?  When I was growing up, we would find and have turtles as "pets" -- outdoors with no cage, but we would bring them lettuce, etc.  Of course, they didn't stay for long.

Very sorry to hear about your friend's illness.  A mutual friend contacted Jo Ann and called me yesterday evening to say that Jo Ann has been moved back to her original room, and is much happier.  They communicated via Face Time, and she said Jo Ann looked okay (even wore makeup, etc.)  We don't know the whole story, but Jo Ann said they moved her to the Alzheimer's wing since she was being "disruptive".  Neither of us can imagine what Jo Ann did, but at least she is back.

My walk went fine this morning (not too hot), but they are predicting a high near 100 degrees today, and hotter at least until next weekend.  I am surprised it was so hot there, Claudia.  Please don't overdo the yard work in the heat.

I discovered my regular (cow's) milk had spoiled, so I will probably try to get out to buy some today.  This was after I put it into my tea and cereal -- both tasted bad.  I think I have been using my almond milk so much that I neglected the "regular" milk.  Oh well.

My plan is to go to the gym after church (on-line).  Nothing exciting planned for the rest of the day, which is fine.

Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay Claudia.  Also hope things are a little smoother there, Barbara.  I heard that a major park in northern MN is being evacuated due to fires.  The weather is certainly challenging these days.

Have a nice Sunday.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Heard from DD -- both DGS' tested negative for COVID twice, thank goodness.  As far as she knows, middle DGS' girlfriend still is positive.  They have had no storms/rain, but oldest DGS' area in New Hampshire is expecting a bad storm and possible flooding.

Respected Contributor

Barbara, we're far enough west that the hurricane shouldn't affect us. Usually we only need to worry if it hits the gulf and moves north and east. Hurricane Agnes did this in '72. It rained steady for days and the dam was full to the brim. At that time it was the largest dam east of the Mississippi. I don't know if it still is.

I'm glad V is doing better and is determined. I'm sure V3's visit helped. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Another hot day here. R is at his buddy's trying to sight in his bow. I did mow out front before taking the garbage out front. I've also started moving things from the back porch in preparation for the porch replacement. I don't want to scramble at the last minute which seems to happen with R. The porch has been used as a catchall since he took over the garage.

Linda, that is good news about Jo Ann. In the nursing home, mother was moved briefly to that unit and it was not a good decision on their part.

That's good news about both your grandsons.

I've put milk and cereal before and found it was spoiled. Not a good start to the day. 

The dogs want out but kids are playing in the yard one house down. Tippy would just sit and watch but Griffyn would have a fit.

Today is my youngest sister's birthday plus Jamie's and Miss  Boots kittens who are 6 years. I gave the cats catnip and all were  thrilled.

Have a good afternoon and evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday was a big birthday day for your family (including furbabies), Claudia.  Hope the others enjoyed their day as much as MIss Boots kittens did.  Also hope you and R are having a good day.  Wise idea to start moving things from the porch.  Speaking of which, oldest DGS and his wife have arranged for movers.  Fingers crossed that goes well.

Hi Barbara.  Loved those pictures of Syd.  She really looks all grown up, and even more beautiful.  Hope V is doing better, and you are continuing to relax as much as possible.

DD said that middle DGS' girlfriend hasn't had any symptoms from COVID -- perhaps as a result of being vaccinated.  I know some vaccinated people still get sick, but usually not as bad as the non-vaccinated.  They will be coming over to DD's house for a meal in September after more than two weeks have past.

Very quiet here.  I'm just doing some cleaning, exercising, and reading.  Just a little cooking.  

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

R didn't get home till late evening. He and his buddy were working on his crossbow. They didn't even know the route in front of his buddy's house was closed for a while due  to a nearby truck/motorcycle accident. The 2 on the motorcycle were life flighted to a city hospital.

It is another hot day. R has been tinkering with that crossbow. He couldn't figure why he didn't have the strength to pull it and I told him he needs to consistently work on building up his arm strength. Too many days he just sits in his chair. Now he's motivated.

I haven't broken the news yet that the cellar freezer may soon need replaced. 46 years old. I hope it lasts till the porches and roof are done. Meanwhile jic I guess we'll be having more venison.

I mailed out Whit's birthday card. Half expect to see it come back. I also mailed a note to R's doctor buddy who has been on that training cruise. He gets back in a few days.

I'm glad your DGS's gf has no symptoms, Linda. It's good eldest DGS and wife have arranged for movers.

Sydnie's pictures are lovely, Barbara.

Respected Contributor

this will be short because I am having a big flare complete with fatigue. My oc sent some meds that I will pickup tomorrow.

v is working hard but he is still in a lot of pain.

thanks for the comments on syds photos..I was really surprised how beautiful she looked.

more tomorrow 

Respected Contributor

Barbara, I'm sorry V is having a lot of pain. It's not easy recovering from such a bad infection. I hope your meds help reduce your flare. Both of you have been through a lot.

After my dental appointment (Don't have another appointment till March. Yay. Dread the appointments). I dropped a couple bags off at Goodwill plus picked up groceries and did banking. I still need to water plants. R watered his trees but forgot the other plants.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Sorry about the freezer, Claudia.  You sure can't complain about the quality/longevity, but the timing isn't good at all. And, I know you aren't a big fan of venison.  Oh well...

Glad R is getting motivated to work on building up his strength.  Sounds like he and his friend were very involved in working on the crossbow.  Hope you, R, and your furbabies are doing okay today.

Really hope you are feeling better after getting some medication, Barbara.  Those flares sound horrible.  Sorry V is in pain, but glad he is working hard.

Nothing exciting going on here.  DD was very happy that her female dog (Joy) did well with her teeth cleaning, etc., etc.  She expected it to be expensive, which it was, but they also included nail clipping (as long as she was under anesthesia), removing two baby teeth, necessary tests and vaccines, plus heartworm medicine for both dogs.  

Meanwhile, DGD went to urgent care since she had a very sore throat, etc.  Turns out that it is an ear infection again.  They gave her stronger medicine.  She asked if they needed to do a COVID test, but they said no since she had no fever, etc., and her ears were very red.

The volunteer coordinator found another possible patient for me to visit, and I called his sister who is taking care of him.  Very sad story.  She will call me once she and her husband unpack some of the many moving boxes they have to open.

Hope both of you have a nice evening and sleep well.

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- Glad you took care of your teeth, and don't have to go back to the dentist until March, Claudia.  You certainly accomplished a lot after the dental visit.  Hope the plant watering doesn't take too long.  For some reason -- probably all the rain we had -- I keep getting bug bites lately.  This morning, one stung my neck, and my ankles keep getting bitten.  I have started using bug spray before my walks, but it doesn't seem to do the trick.  I don't think I have ever had so many bug bites since I moved here.

Respected Contributor

Sydnie has made pizza for dinnner so. Iwill post now.

I am on a big dose of prednisone which has kicked in a bit so both pain and fatigue. V s reallly working hard with a new motivation,  Any transportation  To medical appointments is. Not covered by insurance and a stretcher transport is 1000.00.  Yikes wheel chairs are much cheaper.,

Linda, glad dds dog is good..too bad about  thhe ear infection. I hope you find aloof insect repellent. Hope your new hospice patient works sou.

Claudia, your freezer lasted for a long time. Great news 

on thee dentist. E had a lot of rain last night so no watering for a few days.

I am going to bed early.  Sleep well. 😊😊

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
  1. Linda, the bugs are biting here too. I have a bite on my elbow that is really bothering me today. Poor DGD and her ear infections. It's a miserable thing to deal with. Glad the dog's teeth cleaning went ok and they were able to do a few other things.

Wheelchairs are definitely a better option, Barbara. Yikes on the cost for transport. I'm glad the prednisone is helping you.

While picking up groceries today I noticed price increases plus lack of choices. When R has his VA dental appointment Thursday I plan to stop at the Wegmans nearby for some items I couldn't find locally.

I hope the freezer can last till the porches are done. I remember we had one heck of a time getting it in the cellar.

Sleep well.