Esteemed Contributor

Received DG Blazer and Pants???

Did anyone else order and receive the Diane Gilman boyfriend blazer and slacks that were featured on HSN last weekend?  These are my first DG purchases.

I am impressed with the quality of the jacket .... except that the stretchy fabric of the lining is a little weird.  At least it's lined.  Other than that, the plaids all matched at every seam and dart, and I loved the jacket's fabric.  I think it's very well made except for the fit.

I ordered my usual size (XS) - it fit perfectly in the shoulders and length, but is huge around the middle.  Fits me like a maternity top.  Is it just me?  If I return it to exchange for a smaller size, it might fit around the middle, but be too tight in the shoulders.  Does it fit everyone that way?  Kind of swingy around the middle? 

Otherwise, the pants fit like they were custom made for me.  I just can't decide whether to keep or return the jacket.

Thanks for your thoughts!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Received DG Blazer and Pants???

@tototwo 

I didn’t order but I watched a presentation and recall that Diane said she made this one straighter through the middle. That is good for her shape but I’ve got an hourglass shape and thought to myself that it would not fit me correctly. Maybe that is where it is not fitting you correctly? 

Honored Contributor

I did not order but Diane styles her clothes to accommodate the mature woman that is thicker in the middle.  

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

One of the reasons I do not order her pants is she does not design for my body shape, which is more pear than apple.  I do have several of her tops which I really like--quality, fit, material.  Probably why the jacket has so much material around the middle.

Honored Contributor

I saw them, I liked them but I didn't order.  I do remember that DG made a point of saying that the jacket was cut  "straighter" in the mid section and I took that to mean that it didn't taper in at the waist. That the jacket was a bit boxy.  DG is full and thick in the middle and I think she designs to accommodate bodies like hers.  She assumes that all women have thick midsections.  I can only say that if you don't like the way the jacket fits, return it.  If you keep it and don't like the way you look in it, you won't wear it.  Don't waste your money.  Also, you could take it a tailor and ask if it can be altered for a reasonable cost.  

Frequent Contributor

I ordered the DG blazer and I'm also impressed with the quality.  I was afraid the fabric might feel like cheap polyster but it's a quality ponte.  I ordered the XS and it fits me well but I'm pear shaped.  My hip area is about a size larger than my chest. The only issue for me is the sleeve length - a little short.  I may bring it to a tailor to ask if the sleeves can be lengthened.  It's a great blazer for me but it might not be the right style for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo  If you can have the blazer altered so that the waist is taken in for a reasonable amount, it may be money well spent.  You will wear the jacket a lot if it fits.  Otherwise you should return it even though you will not get a full refund (sans s&h, plus postage be it you pay, or use the prepaid return label which is a $7.95 deduction from the refund).

Diane created DG2 so that the fits were generous around the middle.  She admits this is because she was thinking of her own body. It's fine if she was inspired by her personal fit challenges, but the line doesn't fit well if you are hourglass or another shape where the waist is not an issue for getting a good fit.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I too heard her make the comment about extra room through the waist. I too am an hourglass and had no problem with her last blazer TS but I did not order this one. I guess it's a good thing I didn't! I'm sorry you had a problem with it cuz I know they're really nice and yes the lining is a bit funky! LOL

Maybe if you really like it check into the price of having it taken in? It might be worth it

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, everyone!  I know DG herself is a little thick around the middle and I heard her statements about the jacket being made for an older woman's body.  Well, I'm an older woman, but with an hourglass shape.   Boyfriend jackets are supposed to be straight up and down, but this one bulges out around the mid-section.   I thought the jacket fit the models well -- but now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing any of the models having the jacket buttoned up.  

I need to stop trying it on and wondering how to make it work, and just return it!  Drats!  Lesson learned.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

If you don’t love it, return it! Otherwise it will just sit in your closet.