Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,578
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

If tears could bring her back, she would be here. {#emotions_dlg.crying} I still am in shock , she is gone. I am not however, going to sit here and complain how anyone else chose to honor her. How I do that is up to me and certainly not the responsibility of any one person or company.

The critiquing every aspect, serves no purpose- be is what someone wore, to a smile that shouldn't be displayed, to how one chose to "honor her memory."

As cruel as it sounds, life goes on. She will always be in our hearts. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Regular Contributor
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎06-14-2010

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

I remember how ANGRY people were when they thought QVC didn't do enough right after Jeanne Bice died. It was 10 days or so later they had the tribute show.

Here we are again, and QVC does a tribute ONE DAY after Joan dies and people are ANGRY saying it isn't enough. I thought it was remarkable they could put something together so quickly.

QVC just can't win.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,850
Registered: ‎09-05-2014

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

I will also come to QVC's defense and say they had an appropriate and swift response both to Joan's hospitalization and death. Her pictures were featured on the homepage and the forums page with kind words. Ample opportunity was given to shoppers to post messages. Shopping channels rarely let the "real world news" interfere with the shopping experience but obviously this couldn't be ignored. I think if you add up the tributes by hosts, the multiple showings of the memorial video and her picture shown onscreen there was more than an hour of tribute. However, I do believe many people need more time to deal with this because Joan was part of the fabric of many lives, someone who was always around. I find her passing unsettling because she was on tv so much with her new book and seemed energetic, enthusiastic and happy to converse with the interviewers. Many celebs seem bored with interviews and seem to do it because they have to, but she always seemed genuinely pleased to be chatting with the hosts of various shows.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,660
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

the best way to honor Joan is to make a contribution to the charities she supported.
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,728
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

On 9/7/2014 Remee said:

WHEZY, it blows my mind that a woman could be so low-class and trivial to post a thread this pitiful at a time like this. You have just shown thousands of people your true colors.

SHAME ON YOU. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

And what the heck is this supposed to mean?? Your're the one who sounds pitiful..

KatieB

Super Contributor
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎06-18-2012

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

On 9/9/2014 Johnnyeager said:

I will also come to QVC's defense and say they had an appropriate and swift response both to Joan's hospitalization and death. Her pictures were featured on the homepage and the forums page with kind words. Ample opportunity was given to shoppers to post messages. Shopping channels rarely let the "real world news" interfere with the shopping experience but obviously this couldn't be ignored. I think if you add up the tributes by hosts, the multiple showings of the memorial video and her picture shown onscreen there was more than an hour of tribute. However, I do believe many people need more time to deal with this because Joan was part of the fabric of many lives, someone who was always around. I find her passing unsettling because she was on tv so much with her new book and seemed energetic, enthusiastic and happy to converse with the interviewers. Many celebs seem bored with interviews and seem to do it because they have to, but she always seemed genuinely pleased to be chatting with the hosts of various shows.

While I disagree with you on the tribute by QVC I do agree that her loss is deep and yes Joan loved show business and was grateful unlike Madonna who has been know to be mean spirited to her fans. Joan was a class act
Super Contributor
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎06-18-2012

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

On 9/9/2014 PinkieBelle said:
On 9/9/2014 blossompie said:
On 9/9/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 9/7/2014 Perkup said:

Perhaps some of you have forgotten already - Nolan Miller also passed away. He was quite a staple for QVC for some time, and a charming, delightful man and true gentleman. I know he was very close to Mary Beth, and I personally have missed him through the past years. The kind of a man with whom you couldn't possibly find fault. His jewelry was beautiful, and I really treasure those pieces I have, like a ring with a pearl on each end - he said it was the first ring he ever designed.

But QVC is a business. They have to look toward the future, not dwell in the past. For me, all the comments made by the hosts and by QVC have been quite special and appropriate, but all things must come to an end and QVC will have to discontinue their comments and tributes to Joan, just as they did with Nolan Miller. It would be foolish of us to expect anything else.

Thank you QVC for the tribute you have paid to one of your long time vendors, Joan Rivers.

This.

They could have done nothing, but they chose to do something. They've posted tributes, discussed it on air, and the hosts I follow on Facebook have all posted their own personal tributes.

But you're like that busy-body neighbor who complains when a widow seems too happy. too friendly, or isn't wearing black long enough for your liking.

It's not about you. People die every day and everyone left has to move on. QVC knows many people cared about Joan, but they also know that many people did not care for her and won't miss her appearances. QVC has to deal with both kinds of customers as well as new customers who don't even know that QVC had a close relationship with Joan Rivers.

It's not up to QVC to hold your hand through this or build a memorial. QVC does not need to wear a black armband and the people who truly miss Joan, the people who knew her and worked with her personally, need to be able to move on and do their jobs.

WOW Cynnablue where do you get off being so nasty!! Who and please show me where somebody said they need qvc to hold their hand!!?? I'm sorry but you need to back off, QVC made millions a day and they owe us a tribute to Joan that shows they appreciate her and her fans. My god your not a nice person at all!!

I don't know if Cynnablue is nice but she is certainly not "not nice" and seems perfectly rational to me.

I think that Joan would absolutely agree with Cynnablue. You can grieve - in your own way in your own time. But at some point you have to move on. Some of us do it sooner than others. There is NOTHING wrong with that. And you can absolutely NOT dictate how anyone else deals with death.

If YOU want a big lavish tribute to Joan then YOU foot the bill and do it. QVC is free to do whatever they feel is appropriate (I think what they've done so are is MORE than appropriate). If you don't like it, you are free to not be a QVC customer or a member of the QVC Community boards.

DID I SAY LAVISH?? NO! Sitting around on a set with a few host sharing memories for 20-30 minutes is not lavish my dear.
Super Contributor
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎06-18-2012

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

On 9/9/2014 blossompie said:
On 9/9/2014 PinkieBelle said:
On 9/9/2014 blossompie said:
On 9/9/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 9/7/2014 Perkup said:

Perhaps some of you have forgotten already - Nolan Miller also passed away. He was quite a staple for QVC for some time, and a charming, delightful man and true gentleman. I know he was very close to Mary Beth, and I personally have missed him through the past years. The kind of a man with whom you couldn't possibly find fault. His jewelry was beautiful, and I really treasure those pieces I have, like a ring with a pearl on each end - he said it was the first ring he ever designed.

But QVC is a business. They have to look toward the future, not dwell in the past. For me, all the comments made by the hosts and by QVC have been quite special and appropriate, but all things must come to an end and QVC will have to discontinue their comments and tributes to Joan, just as they did with Nolan Miller. It would be foolish of us to expect anything else.

Thank you QVC for the tribute you have paid to one of your long time vendors, Joan Rivers.

This.

They could have done nothing, but they chose to do something. They've posted tributes, discussed it on air, and the hosts I follow on Facebook have all posted their own personal tributes.

But you're like that busy-body neighbor who complains when a widow seems too happy. too friendly, or isn't wearing black long enough for your liking.

It's not about you. People die every day and everyone left has to move on. QVC knows many people cared about Joan, but they also know that many people did not care for her and won't miss her appearances. QVC has to deal with both kinds of customers as well as new customers who don't even know that QVC had a close relationship with Joan Rivers.

It's not up to QVC to hold your hand through this or build a memorial. QVC does not need to wear a black armband and the people who truly miss Joan, the people who knew her and worked with her personally, need to be able to move on and do their jobs.

WOW Cynnablue where do you get off being so nasty!! Who and please show me where somebody said they need qvc to hold their hand!!?? I'm sorry but you need to back off, QVC made millions a day and they owe us a tribute to Joan that shows they appreciate her and her fans. My god your not a nice person at all!!

I don't know if Cynnablue is nice but she is certainly not "not nice" and seems perfectly rational to me.

I think that Joan would absolutely agree with Cynnablue. You can grieve - in your own way in your own time. But at some point you have to move on. Some of us do it sooner than others. There is NOTHING wrong with that. And you can absolutely NOT dictate how anyone else deals with death.

If YOU want a big lavish tribute to Joan then YOU foot the bill and do it. QVC is free to do whatever they feel is appropriate (I think what they've done so are is MORE than appropriate). If you don't like it, you are free to not be a QVC customer or a member of the QVC Community boards.

DID I SAY LAVISH?? NO! Sitting around on a set with a few host sharing memories for 20-30 minutes is not lavish my dear. If anything it would be lavish in respect!
Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,987
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

It was just over a month ago that there were a few threads on here, complaining about Joan's comments about the 3 girls that were held prisoner in Ohio for ten years.

Some people were practically foaming at the mouth, complaining that QVC was still keeping her as a vendor ..... how shocking!!! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Ya can't please everyone ....... {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Super Contributor
Posts: 307
Registered: ‎06-18-2012

Re: Really, QVC.......you miss Joan?

On 9/9/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

It was just over a month ago that there were a few threads on here, complaining about Joan's comments about the 3 girls that were held prisoner in Ohio for ten years.

Some people were practically foaming at the mouth, complaining that QVC was still keeping her as a vendor ..... how shocking!!! {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Ya can't please everyone ....... {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I remember that and Joan was just being Joan. People need to pick better battles in life instead of trying to boycott a comedian